Page 11 of 106 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617213161 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls

PvP-ing while two-handing the Demon's Greataxe +15 is challenging, but great fun. I've dealt 750 damage in a single R1 hit.

EDIT: Needs Power Within and an elemental buff.
    Last edited by Pete for President; 07-23-2012 at 12:32 PM.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboko View Post
    Just got the last achievement of this game the other day. Level 148 or so. Beat it twice. Only have one thing to say - smurf those Dragon Asses in Lost Izalith.
    Congrats! I'm well on my way to Platinum it too. END GAME QUESTIONS FOR GOLDENBOKOWhat were you fighting the Dragons for, do they aggro in new game+? If so, the Chaos Servant shortcut must be a true blessing. Which achievement was your last, Knight's Honor by any chance?

My last one was Wisdom of a Sage, because I never used magic so I had like no spells lol.
    They aggro in all playthroughs, they are easily skippable, but just as all other abominations in that game, they must go extinct by my hand.

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

Two days ago I got invaded in the Parish, won the fight, and then got summoned by the same guy to beat the Gargoyles.

So this one goes out to the XxSTATYKxX's of the world - through thick or thin, a Sunbro's always got your back.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

should
    should i wait for the pc version to come out next month
    or should i get the ps3 version
    I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO
    i think i'll just wait now i mean i may as well, it comes with extra stuff to beat and i'm sure the PC version will eventually allow for private servers and stuff

Quote Originally Posted by krissy View Post
    should
    should i wait for the pc version to come out next month
    or should i get the ps3 version
    I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO
    i think i'll just wait now i mean i may as well, it comes with extra stuff to beat and i'm sure the PC version will eventually allow for private servers and stuff
    Not too sure what the controls would feel like on pc. To me it feels very tight as a console game. Although with a masterpiece game like Dark Souls you can't go wrong either way.

Still can't put down this game. I'm getting better and better at PvP, winning most 1 vs. 1 duels with my level 90-ish Strength build. Even duels at the Kiln turn out in my favor pretty much half the time. Invading in non-PvP-hotspots is more fun though, as the fights tend to be dirtier, longer lasting, less gank-ish and you can be creative with the environment. Yay Dark Souls, thou are awesome.

Also working on a new build, the first character to have Vitality as a main stat. Combined with Pyromancy and a little Dex for casting speed I reckon this will turn out to be a PvP monster.

Blog Entries

Sorry for the lack of updating, I am a terrible person.

Pete, I think I may have killed everyone in the bottom floor of the church (and sniped the Channeler) before heading out to the Capra Demon. But it is all approximation, since I played the game in a large chunk before coming here to regale everyone with tales. Less tales this time, but here are some benchmarks.

(SPOILER)Defeated Gaping Dragon. Unlocked Blighttown. Drained New Londo. Found way back to Undead Asylum. Killed Stray Demon. Went to Darkroot Garden, killed Moonlight Butterfly. Bought the Crest, opened the door, joined the Forest Hunter Covenant. Went down to the Basin, killed Hydra. Began exploring Blighttown, made it to the bottom, mucked around a little, found passage to Valley of Drakes, and said smurf it. Will find that Bell today.

Also, going to kill that dragon on the bridge.

Edit: I should note my character sucks at level forty-nine. I have not developed my main in any specific manner, but rather to meet a few requisites. Strength is in the high twenties, some high -teens for Dexterity, Vitality, and Endurance, and everything else in the low -teens. Thinking that I am going to ignore improving my magic/faith stats and leave that to another character or two. In terms of PvP, I have lost maybe a good eighty percent of fights, whether it be me invading or me invaded. While rubbish at fighting, I do enjoy at least trying to take on others. Being summoned to help in the Depths pays for itself, though I once rolled with a party that went straight to the boss before handling the Channeler above. Lost our other phantom before I sniped him.
    Last edited by Madonna; 07-30-2012 at 07:51 PM.

No-one can be a terrible person whilst playing Dark Souls. Good to see you're exploring a lot and presumably playing without a guide, that's the way to go! About the levelling, it's normal that you don't feel strong just by levelling up. For the main part, equipment matters more than levels in this game. What weapons do you use?

Maybe some tips on dealing with invaders can come in handy (spoiler free):
    PvP tips
    If both you and the invader are down to low HP, go for the kill. Trying to use the estus flask will get you killed.
    In general, using the estus flask is asking to get backstabbed. Only heal when you're 200% sure you have the time.
    Also, never turn your back at the invader.
    Don't ever follow an invader to a tight ledge or to a place other monsters could be at.
    Read his/her equipment. Heavy armored and dual wielding a big weapon? Get him to swing and dodge/strafe around for a quick hit. Tight environments are these guys' biggest enemy, as swings will bounce off the walls. Fast moving lightweight character? Be aggressive, try to corner him/her and use big swings, hope for a stun.
    If you notice you're getting invaded (fog walls showing up, unable to use the White Sign Soap Stone and Homeward Bone), you can always backtrack to the bonfire so your souls will be less of hassle to get back in case you die. On the other hand, you can also make a run for the Boss fight if you know where it is. Traversing the White Light will send the invader home.
    Being aggressive will increase your chance of winning. Playing defensively will usually just end up in a battering.
    Last but not least: having high poise will save your ass. It means you won't get stunned very quickly and getting stunned is usually the end.

The dragon on the bridge can be sooo destructive. It's a fun battle though. Good luck and keep us posted : )

Started my first serious NG+ and the funniest pvp thing happened. Got invaded on the Undead Burg bridge while I hadn't even attempted to kill the red dragon yet. The invader spawned right next to me on the bridge. Decided I'd have some fun and just run from cover to cover while the invader chased me about. Of course the dragon shot his fire breath, killing the invader in 2 hits. Good times.

Blog Entries

Congratulations, Pete for President! Enjoy that Dark Soul! And of course, that invader deserved his fiery death.

progressI have not gotten my dragon; I can lure him down so I can wail upon him, but he then keeps dashing across the bridge. I need him to do a breath attack instead of being knocked down, life drained, only to clamber up and see him charging from the other side of the bridge.

Had enough Green Titanite to make a Divine weapon +3, and went to explore the Catacombs. Fell fatally down a certain shaft (scream, soul dissolving and all), but apparently close enough to the opening at the bottom to trigger the blacksmith scene and instead lived. Murdered Pinwheel like he was a cow and I wanted steak. Found the Tombs a little less forgiving. Answered Patches wrong, killed him. Rescued Reah, but got a little stuck further on.

I did meet a charming lady in Blighttown, but we were not right for one another. Rang the next bell, and killed a gigantic discharge. Ignored the golden fog for now.

Sen's Fortress. Rescued Big Hat. I have a feeling I am about to fight a giant golem.

Equipment-wise. I have been rocking a Titanite Catching Pole +3 for some time. Its built-in magic attack and knock-down ability have been pretty large factors in my keeping of it for so long. I have been suspecting a good +10/+15 weapon would do it shame, but the only good place I know for farming are the slimes in the Depths and its both a hassle and soul-unfulfilling. My second-hand equip is a Composite Bow +5; again a lack of colored Titanite has held me from upgrading it. Right-hand, I use a Spider Shield +5 because of 100% physical reduction and good reduction rates for everything else, and a wand/talisman for whatever magic/miracles I want to rock. I, uh, sort of splurged on armor because I was annoyed at how easily poisoned I was, but I think getting all the Tattered swamp gear +5 was a bit useless in the end. I still rock the torso piece of that, but have switched the arms, legs, and head out for the Stone Knight set.

PVP, it has been pretty fifty-fifty in the Forest Hunter Covenant. You know things are going to be hard when you look around and realize he has killed everything else in the forest. Otherwise? There is a chance. One time, I spawned in Alvina's room, went outside to see a guy and a gold phantom running to get me, so I went out the other way and Camouflaged myself near the mushroom kids. Guys come out, start killing the kids, and I got to lunge out with an R2 attack, knock down my target, and kill him before his Sun Brother could do a thing.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post
    Started my first serious NG+ and the funniest pvp thing happened. Got invaded on the Undead Burg bridge while I hadn't even attempted to kill the red dragon yet. The invader spawned right next to me on the bridge. Decided I'd have some fun and just run from cover to cover while the invader chased me about. Of course the dragon shot his fire breath, killing the invader in 2 hits. Good times.
    Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Madonna View Post
    One time, I spawned in Alvina's room, went outside to see a guy and a gold phantom running to get me, so I went out the other way and Camouflaged myself near the mushroom kids. Guys come out, start killing the kids, and I got to lunge out with an R2 attack, knock down my target, and kill him before his Sun Brother could do a thing.
    smurfing awesome.

Blog Entries

Damn it. I made it to Anor Londo and in the thrill of making it, I upgraded my Estus Flask...with you know whatmy Firelink Keeper's soul. With this and a lack of Patches in my life, I am feeling a void; my choices have been poor and rushed. On the plus side, I bothered to farm and have a Longbow +11, a Fire Axe +5 for those times the Pole lets me down, and I switched out the Tattered Cloth Robe +5 for an Elite Knight Armor +10.

I started another character as a Pyromancer. What buffs up their fire attack? My focus stats on this guy is going to be DEX/INT, because my other guy was pretty all over the place, but with a STR slant. This is already going well; I have rang the first bell. I may start up a Faith build, a more straight-forward INT mage build, and re-do the big and dumb approach.

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If I remember correctly, nothing buffs Pyromancy. It doesn't scale off anything, so you're free to do whatever you like. This is why you might often see low level Pyromancers kicking all kinds of ass against foes they have absolutely no right even looking at. It's pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Madonna View Post
    Damn it. I made it to Anor Londo and in the thrill of making it, I upgraded my Estus Flask...with you know whatmy Firelink Keeper's soul. With this and a lack of Patches in my life, I am feeling a void; my choices have been poor and rushed. On the plus side, I bothered to farm and have a Longbow +11, a Fire Axe +5 for those times the Pole lets me down, and I switched out the Tattered Cloth Robe +5 for an Elite Knight Armor +10.
    I'd recommend pushing through on this character. It's this game's charm: no matter what your choices are, all of them are spontaneous and there is no right or wrong in any of them. You can kill every NPC you meet and still beat the game. I killed Patches too on my first playthrough, as well as some other merchants. Don't worry about the Firelink Keeper, without spoiling too much I'll just guarantee you'll do just fine without her. Just continue the amazing Anor Londo part and you'll see.

Also, big props for not playing with a guide, it's the way this game shines most. Starting other characters is good fun indeed, but I'd recommend plowing through on your first. Not to sound demeaning or anything, but there's still lots to learn and explore, as well as a few NPC's to meet, all of which will help your following characters a great deal.

About dealing more damage with Pyromancy; some general infothe magic damage does not scale with any stat. Therefore it can be a great asset to any character, as long as you're willing to pump some levels in attunement slots. What you do is upgrade the Pyromancy Flame like you do with a weapon, but all you need is souls, no titanite shards. This can be done at several pyromancy trainer NPC's, not blacksmiths. An upgraded flame makes the spells do more damage.

But keep it up, you're making good progress and it seems you're having fun too! Congrats on that Forest kill, sometimes getting kills in there can be sooo hard. Chameleon can increase your chances a great deal!

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm mourning the absence of Dark Souls more than any other game. Due to me moving house, and later country, I'll be without my Xbox for many months. It's just not fair.