Page 13 of 106 FirstFirst ... 378910111213141516171819233363 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

just bought dark souls and after playing it mostly this entire weekend

made a warrior, using spear + shield. ran around with no real idea where to go and managed to get killed by ghosts. dodged ghosts and got parrying dagger and estus flask upgrade. just now got to the undead chapel, killed the tower knight and got my second flask upgrade. ran past that lightning shooting smurfer into the woods and died trying to kill this ancient metal knight thing.

i am loving this

Great Dragon Bow = Single Greatest Bow in any game ever.

Totally worth the 500 Souls it costs per shot.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy View Post
    ran past that lightning shooting smurfer into the woods and died trying to kill this ancient metal knight thing.
    Those smurfing knights in the smurfing forest. I was playing a bit on the weekend and could not kill them. Eventually I gave up assuming I'd simply run past them before since I remembered fighting the butterfly right after that. So I ran past them instead and went to fight the butterfly again (I'd died when I played months ago). Died again, tried screwing around to see if there was anything else to do, found the lower portion of the woods with the Hydra in the lake. Died when the Hydra was almost dead and gave the smurf up for a bit. Tips anyone? Is there anywhere else I can explore for now that's a bit more manageable/rewarding?

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Sorcery is your friend when up against those Stone Knight bastards. I can't take them in a close quarters fight; they just annihilate me. But my Great Heavy Soul Arrow goes through them like nobodies business.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

So for someone who hasn't focused on magic at all (and I don't think I even have any at the moment actually) what do I need to get me rolling there. I assume I still need some sort of wand or something like I did in Demon's Souls to even cast spells? Where would one buy/pillage such mystic devices?

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh, bums. That does cause a problem. This guy will sort you out.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Awesome. That's exactly what I needed. Thanks.

Blog Entries

Yeah, to cast magic in Dark Souls, you need to rock a proscribed wand for the proscribed branch of magic. For sorcery, you need a catalyst. For pyromancy, you need a flame. For miracles, you need a talisman. All of these things are clearly labeled what they are, so that is easy; no wondering if a stick is a wand or just a stick. Easy too is getting a spell, which you need to equip at a bonfire into an attunement slot; simply find one in your adventures or buy one from an NPC merchant. Did I mention attunement? To have an attunement slot into which to shove a spell, you need at least an Attunement attribute of 10, which nabs you one slot.

I skim people's posts unless it is really interesting, sorry. You can buy a Catalyst from Rickert of Vinheim in New Londo Ruins (from Firelink Shrine, take the elevator beneath the Firekeeper, in this first area find the stairway overlooking the flooded/unflooded ruins, and find his window) or from Griggs of Vinheim at Firelink Shrine (you need to rescue him first, and you will later find him at the Shrine, nearby the stairs to the Undead Burg). Both of these guys sell spells too, so you will be set. Damage from Sorcery scales with Intelligence.

Pyromancy Flames allow one to cast Pyromancy spells. You can get a Flame and Pyromancy spells from Laurentius of the Great Swamp once you rescue him (once rescued, you can find him at Firelink Shrine on the landing above the bonfire). Damage from pyromancy scales with your Pyromancy Flame as you upgrade it.

Miracles scale with Faith, and if you have ever explored Firelink Shrine, you have surely met Petrus of Thorolund. Join his covenant, and he will sell you Talismans and Miracles.

In regards to the Stone Knights, melee has always work for me. Double-hand your weapon and get behind the Knight before he stands up. R2 that tit until you can no more. If the Knight is still alive, R1 if that will get you the kill. The good (and bad) thing about this guy is the sorcery he casts. Tranquil Walk of Peace might destroy your mobility, and the Stone Knight may proceed to violate you with his greatsword, but when he casts it, which he almost always wants to do, you can still beat the everlasting crap out of him. Two added tidbits of advice: 1) Go back to Andrei of Astora and upgrade your weapon. A +5 weapon is so insanely better than its base version and takes only a little dedication to get. 2) Take Darkroot Garden slow. Case the area and clear out any enemies that might make the fight with a Stone Knight harder. See the telltale sign of an Ent? Shoot that bastard from afar and make it come to you. The glade previous to the Butterfly has a spot where two (!) Knights rest by each other, alongside four Ents. Shoot and murder the ents one-by-one, before taking a careful walk that will trigger one Knight to rise before the other, so you can still melee one before you even have to worry about the other.

Edit: Nooooooo, I spent too much time writing about the stone knights. Curse you, Flambard D'Quinceteth, and your timely replies.

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

xD

Your reply was considerably more detailed. Vivi can't go wrong, now.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I can't remember where my weapon is at right now. Might be +4 actually. I'm rocking a Wing Spear and shield mainly with a bow for longer ranges. It was my go to combo in Demon's Souls so it just felt right to go that route when the opportunity presented itself. I'm looking forward to getting some more play time in so I can try and get past those knights now, and that damn butterfly. Only lost this last time I think because I had forgotten its pattern and got a bit too cocky for my own good.

Considering I beat most of Demon's Souls I should know better than to let myself get comfortable.

Like Madonna said, use two handed R2 attacks to bring down the knights quickly. Especially when you see the Knight raising his sword straight up.

Another tactic for the Stone Knights without fetching magic of your own: NPC Summon Spoilerif you're in human form you can also run through the part of the forest leading to the Moonlight Butterfly. Once you enter the building in the back (the one leading up to the boss) you'll trigger a Stone Knight to wake up, but you can ignore him if you're quick. Enter the building and immediately whack at the bushes underneath the staircase. This will reveal a summon sign for Witch Beatrice. In the meantime, hold off the Knight by blocking or running op the stairs. Once summoned, Witch Beatrice will quickly take out the Knight. Afterwards you can take her through the forest as a helping hand.

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Being a Sorceror myself, and with the aid of Beatrice, the Moonlight Butterfly went down in about a minute for me. xD

Witch Beatrice is indeed a great help in that bossfight!

Been rockin' Demon's Souls: Spoiler Defeated the Armored Spider (creepy atmosphere leading up to it, but the fight was easy) and the Flame Lurker for which I summoned for the first time. Got really lost on the way down there, so I didn't want to take any risks entering the fog on my own. Met Patches, pretty cool he's the same in Dark Souls. Found a Great Axe, dropped the gauntlets and helmet I was wearing to be able to bring it with me, so I was pretty badass as I say so myself. Back in the Nexus I upgraded it to +5 to replace the Halberd +4. Item burden is bothersome.

Also, Demon's Souls logic: "cannot take this item, it would overburden you". Can you tell me what the item is at least, you troll?

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Played for about an hour last night. Got myself a catalyst and some soul arrows and heavy soul arrows. I need to up my intelligence though and get some more attunement slots because right now I'm using about half my supply of a spell to kill a knight and only being able to equip one spell at a time makes that a really big pain. Two-handing my spear was too slow for me to want to risk more than one hit. I may try my Drake sword instead next time then finish them with spells. Just the same, spells kill them easily and net me 600 souls with a nearby bonfire to recharge so it's not a terrible place to farm at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Played for about an hour last night. Got myself a catalyst and some soul arrows and heavy soul arrows. I need to up my intelligence though and get some more attunement slots because right now I'm using about half my supply of a spell to kill a knight and only being able to equip one spell at a time makes that a really big pain. Two-handing my spear was too slow for me to want to risk more than one hit. I may try my Drake sword instead next time then finish them with spells. Just the same, spells kill them easily and net me 600 souls with a nearby bonfire to recharge so it's not a terrible place to farm at the moment.
    I'd recommend summoning witch Beatrice to help you out and explore the area (as described a few posts back). It could save you a lot of hassle.