Page 27 of 106 FirstFirst ... 71721222324252627282930313233374777 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm not so sure about that actually.
    No boss in dark souls gives me more trouble than that guy xD
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I'm thinking of doing a Lone Wolf or a Psychopath challenge: no talking to anyone, or even killing every NPC. That means no weapon upgrading, no repairing, no summoning/being summoned, no merchants, no purchasing weapons, equipment or ammunition and most importantly: no Estus Flask upgrades.

Strategy spoiler
    I think I'd go for a strength build and rely on Dragon weapons (though not the special attacks, since I can't repair). I'd start out trying to loot a Black Knight Halberd from the Basin, and if that fails obtain the Drake Sword. After the Gargoyles I'd kill Andre for Artorias' Crest and get the Stone Set. Then I'd set out for Ash lake to get the Dragon Greatsword and Homeward Bone back to Blighttown. That would probably be my main weapon for the rest of the game if the Black Knight Halberd fails, though the Dragon Tooth found in Anor Londo is a good option too. It would be possible to start out as a pyromancer (for the flame, as no talking also means not getting one from Laurentius/Eingyl) and get the Power Within pyromancy to help with the Four Kings and Seath. I reckon it's possible, though the no Estus upgrades kind of frightens me. At least there's always Humanity.
    Last edited by Pete for President; 11-17-2012 at 04:35 PM.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Whoa. From should give you some company stock if you manage to do that. That's like, impossible mode.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy View Post
    I hate you Super Ornstein.
    Tried solo-ing in +. Almost.

Found out I forgot to go into the Depths, but only after (SPOILER)I cleared Blighttown, Great Hollow, Ash Lake, Sen's Fortress, and Anor Londo. I kind of knew it, but I did not want to walk over and find out for sure.

Pete, that sounds legendary, and yet more depressing than taking on the Asylum Demon with a Broken Straight Sword. What of found Sorceries or Miracles? Does joining the Warrior of Sunlight covenant count as talking?

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post
    I'm thinking of doing a Lone Wolf or a Psychopath challenge: no talking to anyone, or even killing every NPC. That means no weapon upgrading, no repairing, no summoning/being summoned, no merchants, no purchasing weapons, equipment or ammunition and most importantly: no Estus Flask upgrades.

Strategy spoiler
    I think I'd go for a strength build and rely on Dragon weapons (though not the special attacks, since I can't repair). I'd start out trying to loot a Black Knight Halberd from the Basin, and if that fails obtain the Drake Sword. After the Gargoyles I'd kill Andre for Artorias' Crest and get the Stone Set. Then I'd set out for Ash lake to get the Dragon Greatsword and Homeward Bone back to Blighttown. That would probably be my main weapon for the rest of the game if the Black Knight Halberd fails, though the Dragon Tooth found in Anor Londo is a good option too. It would be possible to start out as a pyromancer (for the flame, as no talking also means not getting one from Laurentius/Eingyl) and get the Power Within pyromancy to help with the Four Kings and Seath. I reckon it's possible, though the no Estus upgrades kind of frightens me. At least there's always Humanity.
    You know... that actually sounds very doable. If you wore light armor and focused on dodging so your unupgraded armor wouldn't be as much of a factor... Hmm.... that sounds kindof fun actually.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

so my 10 yr old bro is better at dark souls than me
    he's like parrying everyone and managed to find the merchant in like a tenth of the time it took me lol
    but he thought demons souls was too scary for him
    i think this game is way brighter so far too

FFXIV Character

i'm a moron.

killed the hydra and golden golem, saved dusk. then i forked over ten dollars for the DLC. is there any other way I can get "cast light" now without fighting the Sanctuary Guardian? Also, should I manage to take that thing out...how far into spooky hard DLC land do I have to venture to pick up the other sorceries and ivory catalyst?

krissy:

it took me an embarrassingly long time to find the merchant too. i saw a little "try rolling" message on the ground and just felt the little lightbulb above my head come up. parrying takes a lot of time to master. you'll have it down to an art form after you've rang the bells and taken your trip through the funhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post

Strategy spoiler
    You know... that actually sounds very doable. If you wore light armor and focused on dodging so your unupgraded armor wouldn't be as much of a factor... Hmm.... that sounds kindof fun actually.
    Well, since the Dragon Greatsword already weighs 24 I doubt I can keep my burden under 25% unless I wear my birthday suit. Sure that's fine for some parts of the game, but I reckon I'll switch to Havel's or the Stone set for some boss fights. I can get more variety with the Black Knight Halberd, which "only" weighs 14.

i'm a moron.

killed the hydra and golden golem, saved dusk. then i forked over ten dollars for the DLC. is there any other way I can get "cast light" now without fighting the Sanctuary Guardian? Also, should I manage to take that thing out...how far into spooky hard DLC land do I have to venture to pick up the other sorceries and ivory catalyst?
    If you're looking for the basic Oolacile sorceries and the Ivory Catalyst (the same as Dusk sells): not far at all, trust me. If you're looking for the brand new dark sorceries, you'll have to venture through pretty much all of spooky DLC land.

Don't worry though, you can warp from and to every bonfire in the DLC.

Blog Entries

I cannot get (SPOILER)Priscilla's tail. Guess I will try again in ++.

Quote Originally Posted by Madonna View Post
    I cannot get (SPOILER)Priscilla's tail. Guess I will try again in ++.
    Here's a handy tip: SpoilerYour first attack on Priscilla should be with a bow and arrow; shoot one in her tail. The arrow will stick and remains visible while she goes invisible. Then try to whack away at where the arrow is, but it'll disappear in 30 seconds or so. I recommend using a weak weapon until she gets visible again, you don't want to whack to much hp off her while you can't fully aim for the tail. It's not a guaranteed method, but it'll give you a head start nonetheless.

Articles
    Blog Entries

beat my first black night today! the guy in the chapel with the giant mace. got a shard from it. the stairwell in front of the chapel or church or whateever it is is very useful for leading all the knights out there to take them on one by one
    the priest thing soul arrowed my face off shortly after

FFXIV Character

That manticore is a jerk. Doing Painted World so I can get the lightning resist set from Jeremiah and giving it a good solid attempt after that. Might amp up some more strength so I can use the Eagle Shield as well. Any other pointers?
    Last edited by Jowy; 11-19-2012 at 12:06 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

i gots more troubles with the 3-pack of thieves as im going down the burg than i did with the gargoyles. they're just so fast.
    anyway should i be saving my humanity for later on in the game or can i just kindle every fire i see?

That manticore is a jerk. Doing Painted World so I can get the lightning resist set from Jeremiah and giving it a good solid attempt after that. Might amp up some more strength so I can use the Eagle Shield as well. Any other pointers?
    Are we talking about the SpoilerSanctuary Guadian? If so; Spoilerto cut off his tail there are 2 attacks you need to look out for. One is his rare fly up and storm at you attack, which is easily dodged by rolling to the side. If you're quick enough you can get some hits on his tail. The other is the more common bull-charge, which comes out randomly as well as a follow-up for his wing-stun. Be sure to be light enough for the fast roll and roll towards him when he does the charge. This should position you right next to his tail. It's tough at first, with the charge being really quick and all, but you'll manage after some tries.

The best time to heal is when the Guardian is strafing and walking slowly. His 4-hit combo is easily blocked and dodged by rolling backwards, although you can interrupt his combo altogether by rolling diagonally towards him. This also creates an opportunity to get some hits in. Now go get him!

Quote Originally Posted by krissy View Post
    should i be saving my humanity for later on in the game or can i just kindle every fire i see?
    Kindling is always a good idea! Just make sure you have at least 1 humanity as an item so you can revive yourself to human if you really need to summon for a boss. Other than that, it also never hurts to do some co-op and collect some Humanity.

FFXIV Character

Yeah, I tried him last night after getting the Xanthous set, still able to fast roll. Got him to less than fifty percent health. I'll down him tonight. Smacking him with Pyromancy is helping a lot although once I'm out of combustion/greater combustion charges I'm kinda screwed. Is the weapon for cutting off the tail worth it for an INT based character though?

krissy, those obnoxious thieves drop a REALLY good weapon, so it'll be worth the constant deaths and running back should they decide to cough one up.