Page 2 of 106 FirstFirst 12345678122252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

Initial class only really affects your initial stats. There's nothing stopping you from pouring all your points into whatever you want. There are stat requirements for lots of the better weapons in the game, so if you want to beef STR just go and do it. Initial class is great for specializing once you know exactly what you're doing and where all the gear can be located. But if it's your first time with the game don't sweat it.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post
    Hmm I chose the Tiny Being's ring as a gift instead of the Master Key, which turned out to be a bad choice since the ring seems to be pretty useless. Can anyone tell me how much class choice affects the character during the game? I chose Wanderer for example, although Thief seemed rather interesting as well. Would that make much of a difference besides the Master Key?
    Pyro is the most rounded, so to speak. Great pryomancy skills and a good ole' handy axe. Also, you're SL is one of the lowest of the choices. As for the Master Key; you can always buy one later on from a merchant after you fight a certain boss. He usually presides under the bridge(near the ring of sacrifice) in the main area.

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've been hooked on this game for a while now.
    Though this game really takes advantage of my ADD, I get past the 4 kings and Nito on a character... and I'm like "hmm, that build looks fun, let's try that." Not to mention my love for co-op on this game has made me overleveled as crap on all of my characters.
    Dukes Archives always grinds me to a halt, always. Those Channelers and archers man... I had no problems with that catacombs/ToTG, but this place is giving me a run for my money.

My favorite class varies between the wanderer and the cleric.

Anyone have a favorite weapon? I gotta say... I'm in love with the Balder Swag Sword, it's the perfect everything and the Murakumo has really been growing on me since I got the strength on my dex-based character. It has some amazing range on it, great scaling in Dex, and a weird yet pretty decent move-set.

Also, it really saddens me that Dark Souls isn't having too great of a port to the PC. I can understand why they're using GFWL sortof... because it allows less time getting used to a new system and more time working on the port, but I'm very cautious about buying it on my pc now...
    Dark Souls PC: Prepare To Sigh | Rock, Paper, Shotgun
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Arrow View Post
    Initial class only really affects your initial stats. There's nothing stopping you from pouring all your points into whatever you want. There are stat requirements for lots of the better weapons in the game, so if you want to beef STR just go and do it. Initial class is great for specializing once you know exactly what you're doing and where all the gear can be located. But if it's your first time with the game don't sweat it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fonzie View Post
    Hmm I chose the Tiny Being's ring as a gift instead of the Master Key, which turned out to be a bad choice since the ring seems to be pretty useless. Can anyone tell me how much class choice affects the character during the game? I chose Wanderer for example, although Thief seemed rather interesting as well. Would that make much of a difference besides the Master Key?
    Pyro is the most rounded, so to speak. Great pryomancy skills and a good ole' handy axe. Also, you're SL is one of the lowest of the choices. As for the Master Key; you can always buy one later on from a merchant after you fight a certain boss. He usually presides under the bridge(near the ring of sacrifice) in the main area.
    Thank you both. No need to worry then : )

Yesterday I turned myself into the non-hollow form and witnessed the power of co-op at the Undead Parish. One of the crew members made very short work of SPOILERpretty much every enemy in that cathedral, including the gargoyle boss battle. Now it haunts me, since I feel like I missed the opportunity to learn how to beat those enemies. Especially the big fellow in front of the altar.

I did manage to SPOILERbeat that strong guy on top of the tower as you enter the Undead Parish on my own using some lightning powder on my weapon. He dropped a Black Knight Great Sword, is that normal? Either way, it needs 30+ strength to wield, so it's far beyond my reach for now.

I feel like I'm getting hooked

Blog Entries

The Black Knight Greatsword is quite rare and isn't too bad... though I don't think it's worth for it for the stat requirements, the normal bk sword is better (at least to me). Though, I may be wrong, I never acquired it on my strength based character, nor upgraded it. (upon looking through the wiki, yeah I wouldn't say it's worth the 32 strength needed to use it)
    At least on your first playthrough, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Black Knight Halberd is the best one. It rapes. Greataxe is powerful as hell though.

Thanks again for the advice. By now I have reached SPOILERthe Depths, in which I got PK'ed for the first time. He killed both me and my co-op partner. Went back to get my stuff on my own and all was well. Actually quite surprised I made it without too much of a struggle. That's what I like about this game, you learn so much in every area you actually feel proud. Back to the adventure:

I reached the bonfire right outside the giant rat cage, where I hooked up a new co-op party. I think they led me somewhere I wasn't supposed to go yet; the Gaping Dragon. I'm not too sure whether it was the chaos or my clumsiness, but despite having a hard time I miraculously survived the fight. Had to use 4 estoc flasks. Even my high-level party members seemed to be struggling. One of them gave me some equipment before the fight, including an evil eyes ring, armor of thorns and a wicked katana with a high magic stat. Thank you sir!

After the boss battle I used a homeward bone to go back to the bonfire so I can re-explore the whole thing. i remember seeing a big fence with a hole in it, and behind it was a big white-light-wall. I think that's where I should have gone. Either way, the 25000 souls rewarded by surviving the Gaping Dragon gave me a nice level boost.

Thanks again for the advice. By now I have reached SPOILERthe Depths, in which I got PK'ed for the first time. He killed both me and my co-op partner. Went back to get my stuff on my own and all was well. Actually quite surprised I made it without too much of a struggle. That's what I like about this game, you learn so much in every area you actually feel proud. Back to the adventure:

I reached the bonfire right outside the giant rat cage, where I hooked up a new co-op party. I think they led me somewhere I wasn't supposed to go yet; the Gaping Dragon. I'm not too sure whether it was the chaos or my clumsiness, but despite having a hard time I miraculously survived the fight. Had to use 4 estoc flasks. Even my high-level party members seemed to be struggling. One of them gave me some equipment before the fight, including an evil eyes ring, armor of thorns and a wicked katana with a high magic stat. Thank you sir!

After the boss battle I used a homeward bone to go back to the bonfire so I can re-explore the whole thing. i remember seeing a big fence with a hole in it, and behind it was a big white-light-wall. I think that's where I should have gone. Either way, the 25000 souls rewarded by surviving the Gaping Dragon gave me a nice level boost.
    No the party led you the correct way. Yes there is some stuff you can back track for, but you can't continue on from the depths until you defeat the Gaping Dragon.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Blog Entries

Yeahhh I usually co-op down in the depths to help people get through it. It's a fun place, and the gaping dragon, although predictable (after the first few times you die learning his move-set) is still a fun long boss battle.

But yeah, the black knight halberd is just intense, on the character I have with it, I can't use it 1-handed but it's pretty damn cool looking in move-set, and it's damage is ridiculous for un-upgraded.

Alright, I beat dukes archives and I FRICKIN' HATE the enemies thereARCHERS BUFFED BY CHANNELERS, CHANNELERS BUFFED BY CHANNELERS, AND GAHHHHHHHHH
    But really, after I beat the boss I went back to finish up Logan's sidequestkilling Logan for his stuff, and it took me like 35 minutes of pain and rage to get back to him. I was impatient aafter the dungeon, so I just wanted to kill Logan yet in my rush I kept getting flanked, ganked, and shot constantly, resulting in much frustrating death. In the end though, I got his stuff... though I will probably only occasionally use it (I prefer my current armor set)
    I'm trying not to level anymore and just pump all my souls into equipment... but oh man co-op is just so fun I have too many souls I don't know what to do with.
    Well, onto The ToTG and New Londo ruins, I know these two areas like the back of my hand from past characters~

Current equipment set-up
    Lv. 90
    Armor:
    Thieves Hat +4
    Wanderer Coat +9
    Black Iron gloves +5
    Black Iron greaves +5

Weapons:
    Balder Side Sword +14
    Murakumo +12
    Fire Murkumo +5
    Black Knight Sword +5
    Grass Crest Shield/Iron Round Shield
    Rings:
    Dark Wood Grain Ring (I don't use it during pvp)
    Wolf Ring/Covetus Gold Serpent Ring
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Quote Originally Posted by ljkkjlcm9 View Post

No the party led you the correct way. Yes there is some stuff you can back track for, but you can't continue on from the depths until you defeat the Gaping Dragon.

THE JACKEL
    Thank you for clearing that up. I just thought the rewarded 25000 souls and Dragon King Greataxe which requires 50 strength were a little high to be normal. This game is just full of surprises!
    Last edited by Pete for President; 04-21-2012 at 11:12 AM.

Reached Blighttown. Falling has proven to be my biggest threat

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I really want to play this game now.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Harle View Post
    It is the ultimate troll game. You should see some of the hate mail I've received.

Blog Entries

It is the ultimate troll game. You should see some of the hate mail I've received.
    Oh I can only imagine, It's so easy/fun to make people angry

Once you get through blighttown, I'll tell you a little secret
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter View Post
    Oh I can only imagine, It's so easy/fun to make people angry

Once you get through blighttown, I'll tell you a little secret
    Aha! I'm curious, for I have SPOILERjust beaten Quelaag with the help of some co-op ghosts. Rang the second bell and descended into the Demon Ruins for a quick look, but turned back cause that place is creepy. I'm back in the swamp now and was planning to make my way to the massive gate the bells have opened.

Also, I got invaded and managed to defend myself successfully for the first time. I actually owned the guy (who was attacking with a heavy two-handed weapon) by just moving around him and stabbing him in the back twice. The battle only lasted a few seconds, which was a pretty epic win moment : )
    Last edited by Pete for President; 04-23-2012 at 08:10 AM.