Page 3 of 106 FirstFirst 123456789132353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sorry for the late reply, as I was busy working... on my mountain biking skills yesterday.
    Alright, the secret is there is NO SECRETan easier way that leads down to the bonfire in the swamp and you only have to fight 3-4 enemies (not including mosquitos) to get down to it. I wasn't going to tell you this before quelaag though, that's no fun.
    You need the master key starting gift (or buy from a future npc down the road), and the shortcut is in a tower in new londo ruins (right below the firelink shrine). I'm telling you this now because it will make future trips down there (and on new characters) about 15x less stressful.
    Basically, the path will look like this
    1) Firelink shrine
    2) New londo
    3) Valley of the drakes (where you can nab a pretty good dragoncrest shield and a decent astoras straightsword which if I remember correctly has decent scaling with faith
    4) Blighttown, go down.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter View Post
    Sorry for the late reply, as I was busy working... on my mountain biking skills yesterday.
    Alright, the secret is there is NO SECRETan easier way that leads down to the bonfire in the swamp and you only have to fight 3-4 enemies (not including mosquitos) to get down to it. I wasn't going to tell you this before quelaag though, that's no fun.
    You need the master key starting gift (or buy from a future npc down the road), and the shortcut is in a tower in new londo ruins (right below the firelink shrine). I'm telling you this now because it will make future trips down there (and on new characters) about 15x less stressful.
    Basically, the path will look like this
    1) Firelink shrine
    2) New londo
    3) Valley of the drakes (where you can nab a pretty good dragoncrest shield and a decent astoras straightsword which if I remember correctly has decent scaling with faith
    4) Blighttown, go down.
    Thank you sir, I actually already found the key to that door (I don't have a master key) and that shortcut is indeed very helpful. I took some time to explore the valley of drakes from both sides. There's one drake on a narrow ledge who - as I backed away to lure him out - did his jump/fly/spray lightning attack and jumped right off the cliff. Good times!

As I got back to the Firelink Shrine the fire keeper had died, so I can't light that bonfire anymore. I received an item to invade the world of the fire keeper's murderer, but was unable to use it. Any tips?

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post
    As I got back to the Firelink Shrine the fire keeper had died, so I can't light that bonfire anymore. I received an item to invade the world of the fire keeper's murderer, but was unable to use it. Any tips?
    I'll avoid a direct spoiler for now, so I'll just say that you'll know when to use it when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Arrow View Post
    I'll avoid a direct spoiler for now, so I'll just say that you'll know when to use it when the time comes.
    Aha! We'll see : )

I made kind of a mistake. I made it through SPOILERSen's Fortress as a hollow, and fought the boss as someone else's summon. After that I returned to the bonfire, reversed the hollowing and summoned some people of my own. As we were fighting the Iron Golem he grabbed me, killing me as his last few Health Points were chopped off by my companions. I was dead, but I did get the 'Victory' notification. After spawning at the bonfire I returned to the boss area. Instead of picking up my well-earned 30.000 souls I picked up the golden ring thingie first, thinking it was an item pick-up. But no, there I was, dangling from those weird creatures arms, only to be carried away while my green 30.000 souls faded in the background. Nooooooo!

Anyway, I'll get over it and this game is still awesome.

Blog Entries

You can talk to the gargoyls who took you to anor londo and retrieve these souls, but its probably too late for that.

Alright, after about 3 characters who didn't make it too far (only dukes archives, and blighttown on the first) my fourth character has finally made it to the final boss... and dare I say, when you don't cheese the fight he is one aggressive and tough boss.
    My experienceI've attempted him twice now, one with a great-magic weapon Balder Side sword, but as I soon discovered he's strong to it.
    My second attempt was with my new love, my fire +10 uchigatana. Both attempts got him under half, with the uchi getting him slightly closer.
    He's really fast, gives you no time to flask, has some 4 hit combos that really chip away at your stamina if you choose to block them... and he keeps the pressure on you constantly.
    I've learned how to dodge all of his combos without taking damage... but eventually I screw up, get stun-locked, panic... and end up defeated when I try to flask.

Definitely a really fun, tense boss battle, and I can't wait to finally take him down.
    My next attempt will probably be with my +15 Murakumo with some charcoal pine resign~
    I'll see how it goes.

EDIT: ALRIGHT, that was awesome. Beat him with my personal favorite weapon, as it should be.
    3rd time is definitely the charm, and with a bit more of an agressive tactic (chose to not stun-lock him though, that's no fun) With my murakumo, charcoal resign, and some green blossoms our good ol' buddy knelt at my feet in deFEET. I had literally 50 hp left when I killed him, and he had 1 hit left to take, and well, I managed to hit him before he hit me.
    It was an amazing last boss I feel, and it was a very satisfying win!

Well, ONTO NEW GAME+ ^_^
    Last edited by TrollHunter; 04-28-2012 at 11:58 PM.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

I made kind of a mistake. I made it through SPOILERSen's Fortress as a hollow, and fought the boss as someone else's summon. After that I returned to the bonfire, reversed the hollowing and summoned some people of my own. As we were fighting the Iron Golem he grabbed me, killing me as his last few Health Points were chopped off by my companions. I was dead, but I did get the 'Victory' notification. After spawning at the bonfire I returned to the boss area. Instead of picking up my well-earned 30.000 souls I picked up the golden ring thingie first, thinking it was an item pick-up. But no, there I was, dangling from those weird creatures arms, only to be carried away while my green 30.000 souls faded in the background. Nooooooo!
    You can still go back and get it (assuming you haven't died somewhere else yet). Talk to the gargoyle perched at the spot where you were dropped off in Anor Londo.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Arrow View Post

You can still go back and get it (assuming you haven't died somewhere else yet). Talk to the gargoyle perched at the spot where you were dropped off in Anor Londo.
    Ah, I didn't know that. Once again I assumed it wouldn't be possible. But hey, I seem to manage in Anor Londo. It's good to be in a nice and light environment after the Depths and Blighttown. Looked up a tactic to get past the SPOILER2 black knight snipers though. That was a rough bit, but I ended up just dashing through all the demons until I reached the sniper on the right and waited till he bounced off my shield and off the ledge. Fought Ornstein and his big fellow friend as someone else's summon and ohohoh, this fight is awesome. I can't even imagine how one would manage on his/her own, but I might give that a shot before summoning a team of my own. There seem to be plenty of summon signs here.

Good times!

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Hello, everyone. I am currently playing through this game. I usually shy away from Western or non-linear role-playing games, but I have been expanding my list of games since the Japanese role-playing game has declined a little bit. I am currently SL 35 and I am trying to beat the Hydra in Darkroot Basin to purchase a sorcery to get past the two dark knight snipers in Anor Londo.

To be honest, I am a little afraid of heights for some reason and it causes my movement on thin platforms to become erratic and slower than normal.

This causes me a lot of problems when it comes to those two snipers and I recently lost 18 Humanity and 350,000 Souls there. I don't have any problem getting Humanity or Souls because I am very good at fighting the bosses.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Blog Entries

Oh yeah, the fear of heights was a mess for me at that portion to. Everytime...
    But 350k souls at SL35?
    Do you co-op a lot, or pvp? Because I can get 18 humanity... but that's a LOT of un-spent souls for that level :o

But yeah, that part is one of my least favorite parts of the game, not because I have trouble with it anymore, but just that you have to abuse the games AI to get past it.
    Alright, how I did it... (SPOILER) I ran up to the sniper on the right. When I got to the top section where you're between both archers, you dodge the arrow from the dude infront of you, and there's a section right next to the archer where the other guy won't fire at you.
    From here a few things will happen...
    A) the silver knight will be a complete douche and keep shooting you.
    B) he'll take out his sword/shield, from here you can lure him to a safer area and try to knock him off, or just knock him off where he is and hope you don't suffer his fate.
    C) he will completely screw you over, he'll take out his sword/shield, but will either hide behind his shield, or won't follow you when you try to lure him ending in him taking out his bow, and you're back to the drawing board.

Obviously you want option B.
    It's a tense and stressful part, but it can go by in seconds if everything works in your favor.
    Don't worry about the guy on the left, just leave him be.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Quote Originally Posted by Roogle View Post
    Hello, everyone. I am currently playing through this game. I usually shy away from Western or non-linear role-playing games, but I have been expanding my list of games since the Japanese role-playing game has declined a little bit. I am currently SL 35 and I am trying to beat the Hydra in Darkroot Basin to purchase a sorcery to get past the two dark knight snipers in Anor Londo.

To be honest, I am a little afraid of heights for some reason and it causes my movement on thin platforms to become erratic and slower than normal.

This causes me a lot of problems when it comes to those two snipers and I recently lost 18 Humanity and 350,000 Souls there. I don't have any problem getting Humanity or Souls because I am very good at fighting the bosses.
    I had a hard time there too. What I did is just dash through all the enemies from the bonfire to the snipers. Saves you a lot of time not fighting all the annoying demon creatures for souls you're likely to lose anyway. After dashing through, use Trollhunter's option B tactic or just try to hold your ground right in front of the knight. Keep blocking his attacks and eventually he will bounce himself from your shield right off the ledge.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administator

I have a character build that does a lot of damage to bosses, so I simply put my summon sign down in areas like The Depths and I get summoned pretty regularly. I'm able to cut off parts during the boss battles with my spells, too, so I can pretty much fight the entire battle on my own. I upgrade my equipment to the maximum and I use the Souls to purchase consumables and other items so that I don't have to worry about running out of them at a critical time. I might upgrade the Pyromancer's Flame to its maximum level if all it costs is souls.

My plan to get past the archers is to simply wear the Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring and cast Hidden Body to walk close enough to those snipers to push them off their terraces. I don't think I would do well running past them and trying to block as I don't like fighting or doing things like that in very high places.

I'll probably get back to it a little later this week after I reach 15 or so Humanity and embark on the journey to get Hidden Body.

Oh, if you are starting a new character and need help with certain bosses, please let me know and I'll help you out as soon as I can.

Blog Entries

Oh I do all that too, I'm a co-op freak, but I tend to pump the souls into my levels.
    Like, I'm usually about level 55-65 by the time I reach Anor Londo. ( I could get there by level 20 or so... but god I'm ocd about upgrading my gear, and I get oh so many souls from it)

That's definitely the far longer way to go about it, but hey, if it works it works. I wish you luck with that tactic, but if you have faith emit force can get the job done perfectly as well

I continued the first character ever did on this game. He's a greataxe user with massive strength and nothing else at the moment and I'm about to head to anor londo, just doing some last minute upgrading before I head there since I hate backtracking.
    The greataxe is surprisingly fun, and since I'm actually fairly good at the game now I can use it properly. Also, I'm packing no poise on it because of the weight of my BKH, and greataxe (14), so pure light gear for now
    Also, got enough dex to use the black knight halberd, it's glorious~

I know anor londo like the back of my hand, so that'll be a breeze (unless the part with the painting guardians in the rafters gets me on a character with no range on it)
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

As of right now, I'm hunting as a Darkwraith in Kiln of the Lost Flame. Level 123, a spare six million souls, and 99 humanities.

Come at me, bros.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administator

I was able to get past those snipers with my plan. It worked effortlessly. I think I'll be all right for the rest of the game if I can deal with things like that properly.

Blog Entries

I'm pretty sure there are no more things like that in the game.
    Some annoying parts, but that's about it. Nothing that requires screwing over the AI, or sneaking past.

And Fonzie, I will NOT come at you, you scare me.
    I have yet to really get into pvp... though I may on my Lv. 102 dex character. He has the right build and equipment to start... I just don't wanna get my ass kicked because I don't use shields on him anymore :o
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy