Page 46 of 106 FirstFirst ... 263640414243444546474849505152566696 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hey black orb. I feel you, man. Dark Souls can be a little difficult to understand for new players (relevant: this is an "issue" that will be addressed in the sequel).

If I'm reading it right, you're in the Undead Asylum - the starting area - and you're having difficulty with the area boss, the Asylum Demon. What class did you start with? What weapon are you using? Are you fighting the Demon immediately after the bonfire?

Don't feel any shame about checking out walkthroughs, by the way. Dark Souls is best experienced without one, but sometimes it helps ease the strain, haha.

e; Haven't played for about a week. Been real busy, which is a damn shame. I'm somewhat troubled. I really want to keep my Eastern Armour on with the Mask of Velka, but it's getting tricky to keep myself under the 25% weight limit. If I keep my current setup, I'll need to take my Endurance to 53 to wear it all, even with Ring of FaP.
    Last edited by Quindiana Jones; 02-16-2013 at 01:48 PM.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

black orb, is there a chance you are trying to fight this thing straight through the doors? there's a path on the north west side of the room that you're supposed to take to get out of there the first time you find the fat boss of the asylum
    i don't even know if you can beat him without going through it initially... you probably can, but it's easier to get the jump on him from a place you're going to get to later on if you go through the door. the path closes after you go through it.

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Aye, that's what I'm wondering. It certainly is possible to beat him straight out the gate, but it's damned hard to do so with a broken sword hilt. xD

Oh, very important question. Does Quelana sell a pyromancy flame? I forgot to buy a second one off Laurentius before he went exploring, the bastard, and I'm not willing to upgrade my Power Within one, since that would not be good for me. However, if Quelana sells a second one, I will upgrade my current one and use the other for Power Within.
    Last edited by Quindiana Jones; 02-16-2013 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinter Wonderland View Post
    Aye, that's what I'm wondering. It certainly is possible to beat him straight out the gate, but it's damned hard to do so with a broken sword hilt. xD

Oh, very important question. Does Quelana sell a pyromancy flame? I forgot to buy a second one off Laurentius before he went exploring, the bastard, and I'm not willing to upgrade my Power Within one, since that would not be good for me. However, if Quelana sells a second one, I will upgrade my current one and use the other for Power Within.
    That sounds familiar! I bring bad news though. Pyromancy flames can not be bought, they can only be obtained by picking the pyromancer class, saving Laurentius, or talking to Eingyl. IIRC Quelana does not give a pyromancy flame. I believe having obtained a pyromancy flame is a requirement to make her appear in the first place.

Now for the tricky part;

Getting 2 flames in 1 playthrough is a mystery. People claim it is possible, but I never got it to work. If you have the pyromancy flame by picking the class, Laurentius does not give you another one. If you get your first one from Laurentius, Eingyl does not give you another one. In fact, I never even got one from Eingyl, so I can't confirm myself whether he even gives out one. The wiki's say he does though, but I reckon it's only if you haven't saved/spoken to Laurentius, and there's an INT requirement too.

I tried many times to beat the system; dropping my flame before talking to Laurentius and Eingyl, putting it in the bottomless box etcetera, but never succeeded. If someone knows the secret, please share!

Edit: right, so since the big 1.06 update people also claim the damage received by Power Within no longer increases if you upgrade the flame. I don't know what to believe though, so I might test it if I have the time.

Edit #2: Also; HANG IN THERE BLACK ORB! DON'T GIVE UP!
    Last edited by Pete for President; 02-16-2013 at 06:16 PM.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinter Wonderland View Post

That sounds familiar! I bring bad news though. Pyromancy flames can not be bought, they can only be obtained by picking the pyromancer class, saving Laurentius, or talking to Eingyl. IIRC Quelana does not give a pyromancy flame. I believe having obtained a pyromancy flame is a requirement to make her appear in the first place.

Now for the tricky part;

Getting 2 flames in 1 playthrough is a mystery. People claim it is possible, but I never got it to work. If you have the pyromancy flame by picking the class, Laurentius does not give you another one. If you get your first one from Laurentius, Eingyl does not give you another one. In fact, I never even got one from Eingyl, so I can't confirm myself whether he even gives out one. The wiki's say he does though, but I reckon it's only if you haven't saved/spoken to Laurentius, and there's an INT requirement too.

I tried many times to beat the system; dropping my flame before talking to Laurentius and Eingyl, putting it in the bottomless box etcetera, but never succeeded. If someone knows the secret, please share!

Edit: right, so since the big 1.06 update people also claim the damage received by Power Within no longer increases if you upgrade the flame. I don't know what to believe though, so I might test it if I have the time.

Edit #2: Also; HANG IN THERE BLACK ORB! DON'T GIVE UP!
    You can definitely trade something to that stupid bird in the Undead Asylum for a second one I think.

EDIT: NVM, Eingyl will give you a second one regardless of if you have a flame according to this:
    http://darksouls.wikidot.com/eingyi

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nope, Eingyi didn't give me one. Laurentius didn't give me one, because I am a pyromancer, but I distinctly remember him selling one.

I have no idea if I have the 1.06. I have the PtD edition for 360, which I think took it to 1.05. No way of updating any further than that, either.

e; Right. I did a bit of the New Londo Ruins. Got the Ember, and took the Balder Side Sword up to +15 with the Slab I got from the Bastard Demon in the Undead Asylum. I think the Iron Round Shield will be next, using the second Slab you can get. I decided to leave the rest of the Ruins till after the Duke's Archives. To that end, I am at the third bonfire and I have almost bought all of Logan's stock. I'll use Seath's souls to buy Crystal Soul Spear, I think.
    Last edited by Quindiana Jones; 02-16-2013 at 07:38 PM.

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So, I'm planning on finishing up NG today with my remade 1st pvp build.
    She has been kicking ass, and oh god it's so fun.
    New loved weapons: Flamberge and the CLAWS
    The claws are so SO SO fun to use, and they have easily the best rolling attack in the game. Mind you, they are worthless.... but my oh my what fun!

I've been using these weapons thus far
    Murakumo +14 (It's one of my favorite weapons, it just rocks. 'nuf said.)
    Silver Knight Sword +5 (love this weapon so much. Looks cool, is quite powerful, and I love its R2)
    iaito +14 (Typically not a fan of katanas, but those R2s are SO SWEET)
    Black Bow of Pharis +14 (Dat range man. Always keep it in my left hand.... always)
    Iron Round Shield +14 (Love how it looks, and it isnt terrible either)
    Parrying Dagger (For when I want to have some fun~)

Took out Artorias in two tries solo, no real issue there. The silver knight sword was perfect for that fight, I could squeeze in a lot of hits through openings I normally wouldn't have access to.

Next up is: Manus. I've actually never taken this guy on, except once I helped a guy co-op it... but that's about it. I'm going to take him on with Sif... obviously!
    It's a very dodge-centric boss so I'm excited for it.
    After that I'll kill every NPC, every fire keeper, and kill gwndolin. Then... I will beat Gwyn without cheesing him with Pyro (my last character) or parries (never used 'em yet...)
    Then!!!! NEW GAME PLUS BABY~
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

i loooove sks+5 great weapon
    mostly i have feelings for it because it really saved my butt in anor londo though
    but yeah great move set, really nice r2

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Indeed. It is a magical weapon, designed for the manliest of men, and I love it dearly. I use it for Darkwraiths when I'm bored, because POKEPOKEPOKE.

It's not really magical, because magic is for cowards, whereas the Silver Knight Spear is for MEN who like to bathe in the blood of their enemies.
    Last edited by Quindiana Jones; 02-16-2013 at 08:54 PM.

Blog Entries

The only poke the Silver knight sword has is the rolling attack, which I've found to be quite an "eh" rolling attack.
    And the winged spear is obviously superior to that of the silver knight spear. It doesn't have stupid range that makes fights trivial and boring, and I like that.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

SWINGSWINGSWING isn't as fun to say, and THRUSTTHRUSTTHRUST sounds stupid.

The Winged Spear is for women and children who are scared of their own turgidity.

The one handed R2's of the Silver Knight Spear are awesome though. They work really well in R1-R2 combo's and make it feel more like a halberd rather than a spear.

Blog Entries

I mostly use the winged spear and partisan, because they work very well together.
    The only thing I like about the SKSpear is the 1h R2, which is really fun to use. I just think its far too effective of a weapon, and I got bored with it.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I intend to make a Lightning Lucerne one day. I've no intention to use it; I just really like the idea of having a weapon called Lightning Lucerne. I'll be making a Chaos Iaito for the same reason.

Blog Entries

Manus destroyed me, got him to like 60% hp on this first attempt
    ....but
    I ADORE this fight. God its so fun and intense! Why did I never do this fight before?

So, the flamberge is officially one of my favorite weapons in Dark Souls. Such a good weapon.
    Beat manus solo with it, and now I beat Gwyn with it (No parries, no pyromancy, no cheese at all)
    It took me like... 10 or so tries to finish him off, and I got quite stressed... but eventually I just put myself into a state of not caring, put on some fun upbeat music... and beat him instantly. Feels good.
    New Game plus, prepare to taste flamberge~

UPDATE: SO, got to anor londo in NG+ and got my favorite greatsword... the great lord greatsword ^^"
    Here's a picture my character. She's been through a lot, so mind the shoddy quality.
    IMG_0121_zpse6dd6d58.jpg
    Last edited by TrollHunter; 02-17-2013 at 06:39 AM.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy