Page 49 of 106 FirstFirst ... 293943444546474849505152535455596999 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

welcome to the party, that's where it picked up for me too... burg is pretty much stressful the whole time, but parish is interesting.

i spent tonight in the garden grinding on the forest saviour power rangers and invading sinners. kept hitting this scythe clad ghost guy and his golden retriever who kept doing me in. they weren't even cheap, they were just good. whenever i went after the retriever the scythe backstabbed me out of nowhere.

but i must've hit them like 7 times tonight... frustrating, cause i would've liked to hit someone i could actually take.

their initial method was, the ghost hides beside the stairs from the bonfire, and the golden summon lures you out, which i fell for like a sucker. should've realized the whole 'just stanidng here what up' thing was a trick.

good times though. i'm getting less freaked out at invading. it's easier in anor londo cause i know the place pretty well, whereas in the garden, i still dunno how to move around properly. but it feels like everyone in anor londo is tanked the smurf out.

moonlight butterfly shield made. not even one 100 defence stat... seems crap.

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Moonlight butterfly shield used to the most gamebreaking piece of equipment in the game. You shouldve saw the looks on peoples faces when it was nerfed to hell xD
    Crystal Ring Shield nerfed! - Dark Souls Message Board for PlayStation 3 - GameFAQs

And yeah, invading really takes you out of your comfort zone at first. I'm still not comfortable with it honestly. And those clever gankers
    At least they taught you something through all of those beatdowns right?
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    Anyway yeah point is the game picked up a lot and is getting good now.
    I'm glad you gave it another shot! Have fun exploring : )

Quote Originally Posted by krissy View Post
    welcome to the party, that's where it picked up for me too... burg is pretty much stressful the whole time, but parish is interesting.

i spent tonight in the garden grinding on the forest saviour power rangers and invading sinners. kept hitting this scythe clad ghost guy and his golden retriever who kept doing me in. they weren't even cheap, they were just good. whenever i went after the retriever the scythe backstabbed me out of nowhere.

but i must've hit them like 7 times tonight... frustrating, cause i would've liked to hit someone i could actually take.

their initial method was, the ghost hides beside the stairs from the bonfire, and the golden summon lures you out, which i fell for like a sucker. should've realized the whole 'just stanidng here what up' thing was a trick.

good times though. i'm getting less freaked out at invading. it's easier in anor londo cause i know the place pretty well, whereas in the garden, i still dunno how to move around properly. but it feels like everyone in anor londo is tanked the smurf out.
    Hunting in the forest can be tough but also very fun. I'm glad you're on the invaders side instead of the gankers

Some advice and tricks if you don't mind:

- Never trust anyone in the forest. As you've noticed the hosts and summons have tons of tricks up their sleeve. So don't bow when they do; it might be a trap. Always keep your guard up. It also helps to scout them a bit from afar and see what equipment they're using. Moonlight Greatsword? Expect magic. The Grant? Expect Wrath of the Gods, and so on.

- As a blue phantom, never trust red phantoms. As a red phantom, never trust blue phantoms. Whenever you invade a host fighting a phantom of different color, always make sure you keep the host in the middle of the brawl. Don't turn your back to the other phantom; sometimes they will just as easily kill you.

- The cleric NPC enemy is the most valuable of all the NPC hunters; he often casts AoE healing miracles which also heals invaders like you. Pretty neat huh? So stay close to him if you're fighting a host along with the npc's.

- Shooting gankers from afar with a bow usually gets their attention and they will often chase you. That's when you lure them to mobs and you should know where to find them; the forest npc's right at the starting area, the vegetables in the back of that same area, the giant kitties after crossing the back bridge (success guaranteed if you lure them here unless the host has already killed them) and 2 giant shrooms where the enchanted ember treasure is after crossing Alvina's bridge. Use them!

- There is a cliff to the right of Alvina's house which has a treetrunk lying close to it, followed by a rock. There's one particular edge where the other side is close enough to jump to. Try to get the hang of jumping to the other side. This can often be your escape route if you need to heal or rethink strategy. Gankers usually don't follow and even if they do they don't always make the jump. Place a message on the edge you feel confident of jumping from so you know where to find the sweet spot even in the heat of battle. It's a very spectacular escape route and it will save your life.

Articles
    Blog Entries

great tips! thanks!

i haven't had luck connecting to anyone in the forest tonight, so i invaded sinners in the depths (what better place to stress someone out?)
    does invading as a darkmoon have a level range?

anyway, cleared aramis tonight as well. as soon as i saw that thing in the courtyard, i thought of phalanx from demon's souls. cool boss. i survived by sheer luck honestly, and during the second half i only used humanity to heal. so that's why i was grinding humanity in the depths.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by krissy View Post
    great tips! thanks!

i haven't had luck connecting to anyone in the forest tonight, so i invaded sinners in the depths (what better place to stress someone out?)
    does invading as a darkmoon have a level range?

anyway, cleared aramis tonight as well. as soon as i saw that thing in the courtyard, i thought of phalanx from demon's souls. cool boss. i survived by sheer luck honestly, and during the second half i only used humanity to heal. so that's why i was grinding humanity in the depths.
    You don't even have to kill the phalanx in the courtyard. Hell, I dont think I've ever killed all of them, it seems like a waste of time. But yes, it's a throwback to demon's souls.
    Darkmoons do indeed have a level range, and I like the levels a lot more.
    From the wiki
    "The Blue Eye Orb can invade other players within co-op range upwards (10 + 10% of your level) and any level lower.1 This means a level 100 player can invade other players between the levels of 1 - 120."

So, once this week dies down I'll continue my base Vitality character. Next up is the DLC content (I always do it first for some reason). Then I'll do TotG, lost izalith, dukes, than the 4 kings.
    Manus, Kalameet, and Gwyn are the only 3 bosses I'm afraid of now.
    Also, this is what my base vitality character will turn into when I prepare it for PvP
    http://mmdks.com/19uk
    Heres a different option if I go rofap instead (Unlikely as I dont like the RoFaP)
    http://mmdks.com/19un
    Last edited by TrollHunter; 02-26-2013 at 10:49 PM.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Articles
    Blog Entries

fatigue caused me to stop in the crystal caves tonight, but big hat's out and about and i found onion daughter, so that's cool!

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

skeleton phalanx is wonderful. if you snap up Chaos Storm, it'll blow a good chunk of them up in one hit. hammered out 150k souls in twenty minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter View Post
    So, once this week dies down I'll continue my base Vitality character. Next up is the DLC content (I always do it first for some reason). Then I'll do TotG, lost izalith, dukes, than the 4 kings.
    Manus, Kalameet, and Gwyn are the only 3 bosses I'm afraid of now.
    Also, this is what my base vitality character will turn into when I prepare it for PvP
    Dark Souls Character Planner
    Heres a different option if I go rofap instead (Unlikely as I dont like the RoFaP)
    Dark Souls Character Planner
    Interesting build. Is it level 130 because of the Darkmoon Blade level range to invade?

I'd go for the RoFaP version, but swap out either the gauntlets or leggings for a piece of Thorns. Hollow Soldier Waistcloth + Gauntlets of Thorns gives you higher poise and as you'll know having thorns equipped is a nightmare for 0 poise mages and sometimes cancels out lagstabs. The 300 extra hp will make you a pain to take down. That said, i see no reason for the Havel's version other than looking slightly more evil

Blog Entries

Partially, my builds are always 120-130 anyways. The 10+10% allows me to invade anyone anyways.
    And im not going with the hollow warrior gear, as i care more about looks. I have a hobo build that uses it, but it doesnt match this guys character to wear a skirt.

I figured the wanderer coat covers up the soldier wastecloth. It just leaves you barefooted. But I agree it makes most builds look... raggedy.

Blog Entries

It covers up the waistcloth mostly, but it also like you said leaves you barefoot and barelegged. The eastern leggings look far more badass.
    Thanks for the thought put into my build though. If I was shooting for efficiency my stats/gear/etc. would look totally different.
    I'm shooting more for style :P
    I may switch out the armor of thorns later though if I find something that looks better with chesters tophat.

UPDATES: I have infiltrated the DLC content and kicked it off with the sanctuary guardian. The first attempt was... hilariously sad. It ended in under 20 seconds.
    Second attempt I destroyed him. My sunlight blade did NOTHING for my damage thanks to his resistance to lightning, but I took him down regardless.
    NEXT UP: ARTORIAS!!!~!!~!~!!!~!!!!!
    Who will win? Probably him... but we can't know for certain now can we?

UPDATE: Oh, this will be amusing. Let me just add a spoiler tag detailing each attempt.
    Attempts
    #1: Well, I can use the excuse for trial run on this one. He 2 hit kills me, nice to know. I accidentally dodged backwards when he did a horizontal hit... took off 60% oh my health and finished the job

#2: Another sad attempt... I need to figure out proper openings and as such I'm experimenting. These experiments arent working out too terribly well

#3: Tested out an occult weapon of mine. Turns out the dlc spits on split damage more than I thought. I didnt even do 100 damage with my polearm

#4: This was a better attempt. Got like 35~40% of his hp down. Kept getting hit by the same attack, and he got a chance to buff. :\

May level a bit to kill time. This is going to get frustrating soon if I keep going.

#5: Not even worth mentioning

#6: BEAT IT! YESSSSSSS. Wasnt actually too bad once I took it slow and looked for those specific openings.

Okay, here are the openings I have noticed from watching other videos. This one in particular (It's the exact same challenge I'm doing but with a calamity ring on top. Dark Souls - PTDE - Calamity Ring Challenge NG - Assassin's Run - Part 5 (1/2) - YouTube
    Here are the notes I've taken.

opening 1: Jumping attack (The one with all the buildup. Free attack basically)
    Opening 2: Dash with sword outstretched
    Opening 3: Spinning dash
    Opening 4: Charge up (depends on distance)
    Opening 5: Dashing slam down (downward slash)
    Opening 6: The OTHER jumping attack (Unreliable at best, he can do this 1-3 times and can easily end in doom.)

ALRIGHT, BEAT ARTY!!!! Next up is... manus or kalameet. Oh man.
    Last edited by TrollHunter; 02-28-2013 at 02:54 AM.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

That sounds intense, congrats! Did you know an arrow to the head will cause him to break off his buff attempt? Saved my life during a no shield challenge and had too little AR to break his poise 2-handing the Iaito.

Blog Entries

Yes i was aware but its too risky
    Also, ar isnt what breaks his buffing, its stunlock which katanas do very nicely. 2-3 hits would knock him out of it.

It was an intense challenge that made me think far more than any other boss so far.
    Kalameet scares me though...
    Last edited by TrollHunter; 02-28-2013 at 11:10 PM.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Articles
    Blog Entries

cleared the archives, seath and me had a fun time for a few hours but i took him down finally.

got back to demon's ruins place or whatever, the lava place? demon firesage wasn't a big deal, but i think i'm used to the fat guys now... how many are there in this game haha

Man I love this game.Makes me fell bad that I never played it on new game+.I loved taking out gankers in the forest(don't remember the name)