Page 55 of 106 FirstFirst ... 53545495051525354555657585960616575105 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Theres really no "best" armor.... it's all based on your weight preference/weight with your gear/poise break you want/looks etc.
    There's no "best" armor. It's all situational. I personally go for roll speed first looks second and stats last.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I was thinking about getting DS for the PS3 but I was not a big fan of Demon's Souls so would I enjoy this one, even if I did have a friend join me?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xannidel View Post
    I was thinking about getting DS for the PS3 but I was not a big fan of Demon's Souls so would I enjoy this one, even if I did have a friend join me?
    Probably not. If demon's souls wasn't your cup of tea, this will probably not quench your thirst.
    It does beg the question though. Why weren't you not a big fan of demon's? Maybe the issues you had with it were remedied in this game. Hopefully they are, let us know and we'll give you a more helpful answer in that regard.

ALRIGHT, so over the past month of so I've been pvp'ing I have acquired my own personal philosophy on pvp, and it turns out a few youtube dark souls players share my philosophy. Here's a video that shows a slightly more extreme version of my views.
    Dark Souls: Honor Code Debunked! - YouTube
    He's a bit aggressive in this argument, but what he says do hold water.
    I do things in PvP that make it more challenging and fun for ME, but I don't hold it against others I invade who do things differently like heal of backstab fish. I expect that considering I am INVADING their world, and it's my goal to kill them in any way and the same goes for them.
    If I am in a set-up duel or in a dueling environment I will play fair and by the usual guidelines, but if I'm off doing randoms I will try my hardest in any way. I'm not against using humanity or healing miracles as they are easily countered, and flasks/healing/summoning is available to the hosting party.
    I'll play how I want to play, and while I have my preferences I will not bash others who have different preferences and goals in their pvp experience.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I can agree to that. I must've sunk about 300-400 hours into PvP and it took quite a while for me to realize it's all about fun and not exactly about winning - or more importantly; losing.

I've duelled for a quite a long time. Things like DWGR, WoG, lagstabs; they made it not fun for me, so I quit dueling. The honor code is such a grey area in dueling too; I was left disappointed many times.

I tried semi low level Darkwraiths with OP gear. Of course you win most of the invasions, but being OP was not fun. Quit those rather quickly.

Techniques; got myself a faith build. Using WoG to finish off an opponent; I don't get any satisfaction from that. What's a win without satisfaction?

Random invasions with equipment similar to what the host may use; now that's what I'm looking for. Desperate struggles to survive between two parties equal in strength. As long as it's a tense fight I don't mind to win or lose.

Then; locations. It's hard to backstab fish on the ledges of Sen's. And man are straight up weapon duels ten times as intense.

And finally, about ganking; I don't necessarily understand who would ever want to gank, but what would we be without them? We need them. Because when we win that 1vs.2 or 1vs.3 against all odds, we get all the glory. That's why we invade the forest and that's why we need gankers.

Blog Entries

And hell, the game says it's okay to gank.
    In anor londo you invade lautrec... who has 2 buddies with him, and THEY'RE WAITING ON INVADERS TO KILL FOR SOULS.
    And then you fight O&S who fight you 2v1. Dark souls says ganking is okay, and thank god they do.

It all started with co-op. Co-Op was comfortable to me. It was easy, and invaders were easy to take on 3v1. I still do it now of course because co-op is addicting. I eventually went to ganking in dark anor londo.... I would be lying if I said I didnt have an absolutely great time. I could never go back to that now though (though I know I could be one of the most annoying/effective gankers ever if I tried)

I started my PvP by hosting in the forest with a BSS and murakumo... it was pretty fun but the people that invaded me were not geared towards duels so I rarely ever lost. I went to hosting in the painted world where I ended up staying for a LONG-ass time. I became friends with regulars there who would help me learn a variety of parry timings(which I eventually lost after repeated breaks from pvp) and work on my dodging. Eventually I got bored of using the DWGR (when it was still 50% and below) so I decided to use fast roll. I found this to be far more fun and the lack of poise meant I had to be more careful.

I can't say I ever used much magic in duels, as the most any character I've had up until very recently had 25 int, and that was just for CMW. I much prefer just bare-bones melee. This is why I'm making 2 30 faith characters, and 2 40 int sorcerers. (dex/str for both obviously)

Where I am now: I've been trying out a huge variety of builds and weapons. These include the halberd, flamberge, longsword, Iaito (katanas bore me by the way), great scythe, large club, great club, BKGS, Demons Great Hammer (with hidden weapon of course), the man-serpant great sword, Shotel, GLGS, Winged Spear, Partizan, the list goes on. I've also become comfortable with fast and mid roll. Next up is fatty roll and slow walk!
    I'll be testing out the Claymore and Bastard Sword on my quality build today.
    I even use magic now, but I REFUSE to use the equipment that buffs it. I don't want to deal 1600 damage with soul spear or dark bead. That isnt fun for me.
    I obviously have my preferences, but I'm always varying my playstyle to keep it interesting. This keeps invaders on their toes, and makes it fun for me.
    I also do a ton of darkwraith invasions in the catacombs now, which is helping to make me more creative. This area has some of the most intense ganks and chases I've ever had. I have to learn routes to flank hosts and ganks, and know every shortcut there is.
    Once my darkmoon reaches NG+ I'll be invading dark anor londo. This is my favorite place to invade in-game, and has spawn campers, gankers, duelers, you name it.

I haven't sunk NEARLY as much time into PvP as you (like.... <50 hours), as it took me ages to really get comfortable with it... but now I'm becoming addicted to it. It's so fun if you just don't get upset and have fun with it.

I'll be back for more PvP discussion, but I googled Dark Souls 2 concept art and came across this page:

Dark Souls 2 concept art shows beasts, weapons & locations | VG247

Check the link for more images, but isn't this the coolest wand ever? I mean, it has a bat strapped to it. A BAT.

Dark-Souls-2-staff.jpg

Blog Entries

I'm feeling those concept arts. They look creepy and awesome. (I don't like the dwarf one with the huge-ass battleaxe though... unless it's an NPC)
    The locals look gorgeous too.
    And yes, that wand/staff is quite awesome.

EDIT: Okay, so the bastard sword is quickly becoming my favorite greatsword ever. It rips through gank squads like butter, and its complimented perfectly by my trusty longsword.
    Last edited by TrollHunter; 03-10-2013 at 11:07 PM.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter View Post
    I'm feeling those concept arts. They look creepy and awesome. (I don't like the dwarf one with the huge-ass battleaxe though... unless it's an NPC)
    The locals look gorgeous too.
    And yes, that wand/staff is quite awesome.

EDIT: Okay, so the bastard sword is quickly becoming my favorite greatsword ever. It rips through gank squads like butter, and its complimented perfectly by my trusty longsword.
    Yeah, agreed the Dwarf looks a bit cliché. But on the other hand it's a bit early to tell whether it holds up without any info on the setting/locale the fellow will appear.

Been looking at the Bastard Sword too. It's underused, and that makes it very appealing to me. But I can't see how it can objectively be better than the Claymore which has longer range, a thrust R2 and the same weight. But this thing is overused a lot and I don't really want to use it for PvP for that reason.

I'll probably go with an Enchanted Bastard Sword as a backup for the MLGS for my mage of all kinds build, just for underused-weapon-underdog-status-props.

Blog Entries

honestly, I don't need the thrust attack of the claymore when I have the longsword, and I hardly ever 1-h it anyway. Besides, it looks a lot cooler, and has a bit more damage. That's all I need.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I ordered Dark Souls for the PS3 if anyone wants to join me or ruin my day then let me know

Quote Originally Posted by Xannidel View Post
    I ordered Dark Souls for the PS3 if anyone wants to join me or ruin my day then let me know
    Awesome, I'm up for that! PSN ID is PietZooter. Add me and let's duel or co-op sometime

I will add you when the game arrives which I am hoping will be soon. Until then it is time to get HotS and see how bad my macro really is.
    (SPOILER)It's pretty bad, I am pretty sure that if I had to go up against a piece of wood that I would still lose.

Blog Entries

Sadly im on XBL
    No invasions from me will happen.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

i'll invade you eventually

i am still on ng+ s&o. my goal is to get super ornstein defeated. this means i have to kill smough before solaire gets defeated (which is usually less than a minute).

my biggest victory so far was getting super ornstein down to 1/3rd health, before he double shot me with lightning and apparently my shield was down, though i could've sworn it was definitely up. it took me half an hour of running around the pylons with him to get him to that point. i still have trouble finding openings on him. the problem with super o is his ability to reduce my stamina to nothing rather quickly, and ive got 40 stamina...

of course, before the battle i have to take ten minutes to clear the entrance and summon solaire. i've been playing this offline because i usually get invaded before i can do all this safely. the few times i tried taking live people into this battle they managed to knod it up and die early on. i think they assume im in ng....

anyway i was so close, so dying like that really sucked. i only have 20 humanities and fire weapon items left, but i assume i'll get super o down with that many chances eventually... just need to learn his openings better and go for them.

Blog Entries

...wow really? NG+ O&S never take me more than 1 try.... it's in NG that that bend me over and have their way with me.

Also, Super Smough is actually the easier of the 2, so try taking down orny first. With Smough you've just got to be careful, and his openings are very blatant. Orny is just a prick, and hes even moreso when he goes super.
    Also, wasting that much time every single fight is a waste of time and humanity. A quick run using the super-shortcut takes no more than 1 minute, and as such allows for more attempts in a shorter amount of time. Solaire is honestly a waste of time in NG+ and you shouldnt be using him as this point. He increases the HP on the bosses, and in NG+ he doesnt ldeal enough damage or help enough to make him worth it.

ALSO, my brother is playing a strength darkmoon.... and just killed an idling hacker by kicking him through the entirety of Anor Londo and off a ledge.
    He did me proud
    ALSO: Using his character, I got one of the best invasions ever. Everything went according to plan. These 3 guys were waiting in the main room.... beside the door expecting to backstab me. SURPRISE me they certainly did, but I can mid-roll for days and backstab fishers cause me no worry now. I led them to the ledge before the dragonslayers bow, and I kicked one guy off who was busy now fighting the giant... and I accidentally fell off myself.
    After recovering I finish him off as he tries to use a humanity....
    and then there was 2
    Incoming a battle of attrition.
    I'm sitting down there waiting patiently watching both the host and phantom. They were on the ledge now, and this one you cant climb back on. The only way to me was to jump down. Me and my brother notice the phantom getting jittery, something I predicted far earlier. He goes to the ledge with the bow, and... eventually he jumps. As he falls me and a mini-gargoyle tear him to shreds.
    Eventually the host jumps down and runs to the elevator. I quickly follow. He stops, turns around, and bows.
    TOO LATE FOR A DUEL NOW BIZNITCH!
    WABLAM great club right to the face.

The host of this world has been defeated.

I love it when everything goes completely according to plan. That invasion was done with near surgical precision, and everyone did exactly what I expected them to do. It was beautiful.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy