Page 5 of 106 FirstFirst 1234567891011152555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls

I just beat SPOILERSeath the Scaleless with the help of two summons. One of them didn't make it, but I did get the Moonlight Greatsword from Seath's tail. I basically just waited in the back firing arrows and little else while one of my strong summons hacked and slashed it's tail. So now I'm farming twinkling titanite from the crab-people enemies and was thinking of heading for the Catacombs next. Well, I already made it to the Tomb of Giants once, but turned back after encountering the first giant skeleton in total darkness. Can I actually warp back to the Crystal Cave or will I have to go all the way back from Anor Lando to get there again?

EDIT: Nevermind, found out I can't warp back there.
    Last edited by Pete for President; 05-11-2012 at 10:00 PM.

TOMB OF GIANTS SPOILERMet Patches in the Tomb of Giants. Who else killed him after getting back up to his spot? Anyway, progress is slow but steady, those skeleton dogs are nasty!

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

Those skeleton dogs are obnoxious and can kill you really quickly too. On the other hand, they have way less health than you'd think and have a really limited aggro range. In a lot of cases, you can sneak past them even while they're looking in your direction.

Tomb of the Giants is one of my favourite levels. It's the most Dark Souls area in Dark Souls.

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I agree, tomb of the giants is pretty awesome.
    My least favorite area is dukes archives... god I hate that place.

So, I've been playing like only on weekends, but my strength build has beaten Seath and Nito
    Now for Izalith(godddd) and new londo ruins.
    The hard part of this game is over.

Though, I will never cheese the final boss with parrys, poise stacking, or any of that crap. I want to have an epic fight with a farrr slower weapon (Greataxe).
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I'm actually not too fond of Tomb of Giants and I liked Dukes Archives a lot better. Especially with the Crystal Cave at the end, that makes the place pure condemned-ness. I do get what you mean by Tomb of Giant is the most Dark Souls area in Dark Souls. I like the Nito boss battle, I've fought him as a summon a couple times to learn a strategy. Soon I'll try to beat him with a few summons of myself, as long as I don't get invaded cause this place is full of trolls.
    Last edited by Pete for President; 05-14-2012 at 07:42 AM.

Blog Entries

I've never had trouble with Nito going solo. Heck, he's the easiest of the 4 bosses in my opinion. I also never run into invaders there, it's mostly in the catacombs. My StrategyJust stay back at the start with a divine weapon and your main weapon in your off-hand (as in ready to swap with said divine weapon). The big guys in the back don't aggro unless you run up to them, so with a divine weapon you can perma-kill those first small skeletons, and Nito by himself is just a joke.

Dukes Arhives is a pretty area I will say, the sense of scale there is amazing... I just hate the channelers, the archers buffed by channelers, and just everything.
    Since I barely ever up my vitality until end-game/new-game+ it was still around 20-25 when I went there, so the archers were near one-shotting me when buffed. That wasn't an enjoyable experience.

Tomb of the Giants is still really tense, but I know what enemies I can avoid, and what enemies I can run from now, so I can clear it in like 5-10 minutes from the start.
    The one dog skeleton you have to fight makes me so nervous though, I one-shot him, but he can also one-shot me with his endless combo of doom and destruction.

Lost Izalith isn't hard, it's just long and annoying and red... very very red.
    The bosses there look sweet though. Seriously some of my favorite bosses in the game aesthetic-wise.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I just beat QUITE A FEW SPOILERSNito all by myself on my first try. Superproud, because I've had so many bosses made easy for me by summons this finally felt as my own accomplishment. And that Paladin armour is sweet! Looking back at several bosses on youtube I think my reliance on summons wasn't necessary at all, but the game's image of being superhard just got to me. Now that I've got the hang of it I would love to try a solo game.

Now I've set out for the Painted World. I came across this secret area (as well as returning to the Undead Asylum) when I scrolled through a guide in search of a tactic for the annoying Silver Knight Archers in Anor Londo. Now I kind of feel bad not all exploration is done by myself, but I sure as hell would never have found the way to get back to the Undead Asylum. And how would one find the secret path to the Great Hollow without a guide? Stuff is crazy!

EDIT: Have you guys seen this? With the right skills and knowledge in combat, navigation and item use the player can make this journey a lot easier for himself. This video is the prime example I think: POTENTIALLY SUPERMEGASPOILERShttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK09d1bk-oA&feature=related

I've watched a few bits from the beginning, some Anor Londo & Dukes Archives stuff. He beats Seath 55 minutes into the game. I think it took me over 40 hours to get there. It's... incredible.
    Last edited by Pete for President; 05-15-2012 at 09:34 PM.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post
    I just beat QUITE A FEW SPOILERSNito all by myself on my first try. Superproud, because I've had so many bosses made easy for me by summons this felt as a real accomplishment. And that Paladin armour is sweet! Now I've set out for the Painted World. I came across this secret area (as well as returning to the Undead Asylum) when I scrolled through a guide in search of a tactic for the annoying Silver Knight Archers in Anor Londo. Now I kind of feel bad not all exploration is done by myself, but I sure as hell would never have found the way to get back to the Undead Asylum. And how would one find the secret path to the Great Hollow without a guide? Stuff is crazy!
    You shouldn't have killed patches, dude. He sells some great stuff later on when he becomes a merchant.

Quote Originally Posted by Fonzie View Post
    I just beat QUITE A FEW SPOILERSNito all by myself on my first try. Superproud, because I've had so many bosses made easy for me by summons this felt as a real accomplishment. And that Paladin armour is sweet! Now I've set out for the Painted World. I came across this secret area (as well as returning to the Undead Asylum) when I scrolled through a guide in search of a tactic for the annoying Silver Knight Archers in Anor Londo. Now I kind of feel bad not all exploration is done by myself, but I sure as hell would never have found the way to get back to the Undead Asylum. And how would one find the secret path to the Great Hollow without a guide? Stuff is crazy!
    You shouldn't have killed patches, dude. He sells some great stuff later on when he becomes a merchant.
    Unfortunately I didn't know. No regrets, but I'll remember it for my next playthrough for sure!

Blog Entries

Alright, went back to my new game + character.
    Now, remember, he doesn't use shields, because shields are for sissies. He rocks a quelaags furysword in the offhand for amazing looks and parrying.
    And I just beat new game+ ornstein and smough without the use of a shield ON MY FIRST TRY ^.^
    Oh that felt so glorious.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter View Post
    Now, remember, he doesn't use shields, because shields are for sissies. He rocks a quelaags furysword in the offhand for amazing looks and parrying.
    And I just beat new game+ ornstein and smough without the use of a shield ON MY FIRST TRY ^.^
    I'm curious what other equipment you use!

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I am not sure what my options are now. I have beaten The Duke's Archives at SL55 and I am not sure where to go next.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Blog Entries

WeaponsBalder Side Sword +15*
    Murakumo +15
    Fire Uchigatana +10
    Black Bow of Pharis +something around 12 or 13

Armor
    Thief Mask +9*
    Wanderer Coat +10
    Black Iron Gauntlets +5*
    Brigand Trousers
    (This is my usual setup, but when I'm in need of more defense I switch the top and bottom)
    Black Knight Armor +5*
    Black Iron Leggings +5*

Rings
    Dark Wood Grain Ring*
    Ring of Favor and Protection aka: RoFaP*

*I used this piece during the boss fight

My Vitality is capped at 30 to keep things interesting, with my dex and endurance at 40.
    I'm working on my int to cap it at 25 for Crystal Magic Weapon, and it's at 23 right now.

It's a very fast, fun build. It's also quite fragile and I have to be quick or I die. I prefer it this way because it really keeps me on edge, especially in new game+
    As an obvious side effect, I die quite often due to the low HP and lack of Shield (Missed parries man... they hurt)
    I adore this build, don't know if I'll take it into pvp though... I may.

EDIT: Roogle, what areas have you cleared?
    The 4 boss areas are as listed.
    Dukes Archives ~> Crystal Cave
    New Londo Ruins ~> Drained New Londo Ruins/Abyss (you have to kill the darkwood forest boss though, hint: not the butterfly)
    Blighttown ~> Lost Izalith
    and then Catacombs ~> Tomb of the Giants

With all of these cleared you feed the souls to the LordVessel.
    Last edited by TrollHunter; 05-16-2012 at 11:04 PM.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

WeaponsBalder Side Sword +15*
    Murakumo +15
    Fire Uchigatana +10
    Black Bow of Pharis +something around 12 or 13

Armor
    Thief Mask +9*
    Wanderer Coat +10
    Black Iron Gauntlets +5*
    Brigand Trousers
    (This is my usual setup, but when I'm in need of more defense I switch the top and bottom)
    Black Knight Armor +5*
    Black Iron Leggings +5*

Rings
    Dark Wood Grain Ring*
    Ring of Favor and Protection aka: RoFaP*

*I used this piece during the boss fight

My Vitality is capped at 30 to keep things interesting, with my dex and endurance at 40.
    I'm working on my int to cap it at 25 for Crystal Magic Weapon, and it's at 23 right now.

It's a very fast, fun build. It's also quite fragile and I have to be quick or I die. I prefer it this way because it really keeps me on edge, especially in new game+
    As an obvious side effect, I die quite often due to the low HP and lack of Shield (Missed parries man... they hurt)
    I adore this build, don't know if I'll take it into pvp though... I may.
    That sounds like a real challenge. From my experience I always encounter invaders with either destructive magic/pyromancy or the tank & smash build, but never the nimble warriors, let alone archers. I might do a no-shield run in the future too, it sounds really awesome!

As for my progress; I've reached Lost Izalith, where unfortunately the Catarina Knight died of poison after we fought the weird creatures in the collapsing room. Did get that nifty speckled ring.

Blog Entries

There are a lot of nimble builds in pvp actually, but so many people go with those first 2 you listed, or a hybrid of them.
    Archers barely work in pvp, but you can have some fun with it if you know what you're doing!
    Dark Souls PvP Assholery 6-Dragon Bow Baiting/Sneaky Avelyn-
    Subscribe to this guy if you enjoy watching pvp videos, I love his videos quite a lot.

It's a very enjoyable challenge, and after about 5 billion deaths in the catacombs and Tomb Of the Giants I beat Nito (first try... -sigh-)and am now cowering in a small corner afraid of every other area.
    This no-shield thing is really starting to reach it's outrageously difficult parts.
    I recommend giving it a shot though, it's quite a lot of fun (Though a lot more viable in early NG+)
    I would also recommend the dark-wood grain ring asap in that kind of build, since your only form of defense is dodging and parrying.
    The parrying dagger and quelaags furysword work great, though go with what's light and looks coolest.
    A good bow is also a godsend in certain parts of the game, where I would recommend the long-bow or Black Bow of Pharis.
    Start with the thief or wanderer class, and try to stick below 25% weight until you get the dark-wood ring. Then you can really free up your armor.
    You want a quick short-range weapon, I weapon with more range, and one with some uumph for staggering tougher enemies.
    Obviously, a dex build is the most viable, or an hp gauged elemental weapon build (though the latter really takes away a bit of the charm)
    If you want even more of a challenge, play it like I am and cap your vitality at 30. Oh you'll get good at dodging really fast.
    For rings other than the dark-wood, I would go with Havels, Clover, Wolf Ring (a MUST at certain points), and maybe hornets ring if you get confident with parries and backstabs.
    It's a lot of fun, and also, do it without summons for the full effect. You will definitely see the bosses in a new light if you do so.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy