Page 7 of 106 FirstFirst 12345678910111213172757 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls

Quote Originally Posted by Flambard D'Quinceteth View Post
    Excellent, thanks very much. I've done some minor research into classes between breaks in (an ungodly amount of) revision, and all I've decided so far is that I don't want to be a Thief. Too much choice!
    Sounds familiair! First time through I think I spent 20 minutes deciding what class I wanted. I'd suggest; don't break your head over this, customization throughout the game is pretty much endless. But do tell which one you'll choose and keep us posted on your progress!

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

So what platform do you lot play on?

Also, it's now between Wanderer, Pyromancer and Sorceror. Edging Sorceror.

So what platform do you lot play on?

Also, it's now between Wanderer, Pyromancer and Sorceror. Edging Sorceror.
    I'm on PS3. Feel free to add me if you're on it too, PSN: PietZooter

All of those are solid classes. They're not tanks, which will make you learn how to dodge and such. Which is a good thing, cause in Dark Souls avoiding a hit is everything.

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Alas, poor Yorick, for I own a 360.

I've never liked heavy armour tank builds in any game. I prefer some Jack Be Nimble dancing in my games haha. I call it Rave Jutsu.

Alas, poor Yorick, for I own a 360.

I've never liked heavy armour tank builds in any game. I prefer some Jack Be Nimble dancing in my games haha. I call it Rave Jutsu.
    No worries, it's not like you can arrange a co-op game with a specific player anyway. Keep your progress posted : )

As for my second playthrough BACK TO MARKING SPOILERS NOWI took my level 20 sorcerer through the Catacombs to make a Fire Rapier. Totally worth it, cause it makes the close quarters combat in Sen's Fortress so much easier. Also took some time to get a few kills in the Darkroot Forest on behalf of the Forest Hunter covenant, earning me the Fog Ring (another helpful item to not get harassed by serpent-mages while dodging the swinging blades in Sen's Fortress).

I was actually quite proud of these first PvP kills. My tactic: as soon as I invaded I cast Chameleon and keep an eye out for signs of other invaders and the level of the players. There was one guy in Ornstein's Armor fighting the Bandit NPC right in front of me (remember, I was camouflaged so he had no clue). When he got close I popped out with a Great Chaos Fireball and down he went. Sneaky, but superfun!

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I saw the Chameleon spell and knew immediately that I wanted it haha.

I may have slightly made an entire to do list in terms of level and equipment now. Any ideas on stats that should definitely be raised. I raise Endurance and Vitality every other level and it seems pretty decent. Wondering if there's any point raising Resistance?

For this playthrough, I'm looking at the Claymore or Uchigatana with an Enchanted... enchantment so I can scale them off my Intelligence and not spend more points than is necessary. I intend to get hold of the Tin Crystallisation Catalyst, so a purely Intelligence build would keep my level low. Actually looking forward to doing the work for this haha.

I've yet to get used to the combat, unfortunately. I've still got the old reflex of wailing on X/Square any time there's a few enemies, so I end up burning through Estus flasks! You quickly learn to isolate enemies though. Quickly learn through pain and death.

I saw the Chameleon spell and knew immediately that I wanted it haha.

I may have slightly made an entire to do list in terms of level and equipment now. Any ideas on stats that should definitely be raised. I raise Endurance and Vitality every other level and it seems pretty decent. Wondering if there's any point raising Resistance?

For this playthrough, I'm looking at the Claymore or Uchigatana with an Enchanted... enchantment so I can scale them off my Intelligence and not spend more points than is necessary. I intend to get hold of the Tin Crystallisation Catalyst, so a purely Intelligence build would keep my level low. Actually looking forward to doing the work for this haha.

I've yet to get used to the combat, unfortunately. I've still got the old reflex of wailing on X/Square any time there's a few enemies, so I end up burning through Estus flasks! You quickly learn to isolate enemies though. Quickly learn through pain and death.
    From your description I assume you went with the Sorcerer class? Either way, you can never really go wrong with Vitality and Endurance. For Sorcerors INT is obviously very important as well, as it (like you've already figured out) works well with magic/enchanted weapons. These upgrades/enchantments are however a little hard to come by at first, but it's manageable nonetheless. I would recommend not to bother leveling Resistance, as upgrading (or equipping) the right armor (and rings) will make a much more noticeable difference defense-wise. In general I find that upgrading equipment always has priority over leveling stats, unless you need some extra stats to use new spells/weapons you have found/bought.

A few quick last tips, even though you may already have read/played so much they may not be necessary at all;
    TIPTIPTIP
    Be creative! There's always a sneaky way around or a more effective way to dispose of enemies if you're having trouble. Get stuck? Scroll through your inventory to see if you have an item/weapon/spell that might help. And remember, you don't have to fight every single monster to get from A to B.

Play online and try to be in human-form. Don't get scared by invaders, they can be manageable. Especially if you intend to keep your level low, you'll rarely get invaded. The hints on the floors will help more often than not and being human will let you summon both NPC's and other players. I found myself surprised by how useful NPC summons are. Seriously, they're great.

And last but not least: see some treasure in the distance guarded by a serious threat? Just dash through, get the loot and run for it. You'll be surprised by how many items you can collect early on just by hit-and-running.

Glad to hear you're stoked to get on it!

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

So much Dark Souls lovin' going on here. I've been wanting to dive back into it but I lent it to my cousin (who hasn't played it for two months). Last night a friend and I played through on XBOX (he played, I laughed) and now I really want to make a Dragonoid-archer-sorcery build.

FYI, I'm boyonion on PSN. Fellow hollows, add me.

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh yeah, I went Sorcery in the end. Loving the spells. I'm thinking about using the Pyromancer next time, as I just got hold of some Pyromancies and they're amazing. They really complement the Sorceries I have, as they each do something that the other doesn't. This is definitely a game that I know I'll be playing through many times. Apparently you can go through a New Game+ about a dozen times? If so, that's phenomenal.

I've summoned a few people, but I'm terrified of human form due to the invaders doing away with me effortlessly. Although I've found a pretty sweet spot to grind Humanity now, so it's becoming less terrifying. The people who have invaded me have been pretty cool, though. They've all bowed or waved before the fight, so it all feels very friendly. I've yet to encounter some aggressive troll prick, which is amazing. I also summoned someone in the Undead Burg, who rushed ahead killing everyone and even killed a Black Knight for me, allowing me to get a ring to boost my defence near death. I later summoned Solaire and some random player who was nearby to help during the Gargoyle fight. It was ridiculously easy haha. I spammed Soul Arrow from afar while Solaire attacked the head and the other player attacked the tail and got me a cool looking, albeit unusable, battleaxe. The first Gargoyle died so fast that the second didn't even have time to react to it, although when it did react it just got itself stuck in a wall and went down easy enough, and dropped an amazing helmet. I'm enjoying the whole online mechanic. It really adds to the whole experience.

I found myself in Darkroot a while back, and quickly discovered the joy of running through and collecting items. Ended up with some Elite Knight Armor, a decent archery set and a sweet shield that boosts my stamina when wielded. I was then destroyed by a Black Knight nearby and lost a few thousand souls, but it was totally worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Arrow View Post
    So much Dark Souls lovin' going on here. I've been wanting to dive back into it but I lent it to my cousin (who hasn't played it for two months). Last night a friend and I played through on XBOX (he played, I laughed) and now I really want to make a Dragonoid-archer-sorcery build.

FYI, I'm boyonion on PSN. Fellow hollows, add me.
    I'll add you. Starting a new game with some friends who are new to the game is super fun indeed. I love how everyone waits too long to drop down from the balcony at the first Asylum boss, followed by complete panic after getting smashed.

I think I'll use my current Sorcerer-based character to go and do some evil things for the Darkwraith or Gravelord covenants. I've beaten Spoilerthe Iron Golem at level 25, and Ornstein and Smough at level 30. Both on my first try and using nothing but NPC summons, so I feel like I'm getting some skill!

Being relatively low level after returning from Anor Londo I think I might have some good chances hunting prey in Blighttown and Sen's Fortress. However, I still need to reach said covenants.

EDIT: In preparation for this PvP madness I'm making a Lightning Bandit's Knife which will rock backstabs and riposte's when combined with the Hornet Ring. My train of thought: invade in the Blighttown area -> move faster through the swamp than opponents by equipping Rusty ring -> backstab galore! I also upgraded Pyromancy Flame beyond +15, which will make the camouflage/chaos fireball combo pretty epic.
    Last edited by Pete for President; 06-04-2012 at 04:42 PM.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I have missed this thread because I was unable to view it due to the ongoing server problems. Does anyone need any of the following:

- Blue Titanite Chunk
    - Blue Titanite Slab
    - Titanite Slab

I will give these to you for free because you support us even though we are going through so many technical issues right now.

If any of you have a Moonlight Greatsword, though, it would be appreciated. I am SL55 and I can drop down a summon sign for you. The only areas that remain incomplete for me are Demon's Ruins, Lost Izalith, and the Kiln of the Final Flame.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Howdy Roogle, mind if I add you? It'd be cool to have someone to coop with and kill all the Black Knights for me.

I figure I'll put up my equipment for you to all look at and, hopefully, give me some advice on.

Weapon/Shield: Claymore +10, Grass Crest Shield. Claymore will become Lightning, after which I'll make an Enchanted Uchigatana.
    Armour: Gargoyle Helm, Elite Knight Chest, Arms and Legs.
    Rings: Havel's Ring, Ring of Favor and Protection.

Wondering whether I should start upgrading my armour yet? It's a bit on the heavy side, though I prefer the medium armour protection. Havel's Ring keeps it low, but not quite below 25% yet. Ideally I want good protection whilst remaining under 25% equip load for dodging. Does anybody know of any lighter armour's that might suit my Sorceror build? I'm about to enter Blighttown.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administator

Yes, you may add me. I am on Xbox Live as Orogo. I am going to be on tonight; I am located in Colorado in the United States, so it might be too late if you are located in Europe.

I am a Sorcerer, too. I wear the Sorcerer's Set+10 provided to the Sorcerer starting class. if you are looking for additional resistances, consider the Black Sorcerer's Set or the Big Hat Set.

The first few minutes of this PvP video are hilarious : )

Dark Souls Chameleon PvP #3

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administator

Chameleon is a very effective spell if you are helping someone through the forest. It turns you into a slightly off palette tree that is difficult to notice if you aren't really looking out for it.