Page 17 of 106 FirstFirst ... 711121314151617181920212223273767 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

I didn't have any trouble with the basin aside from those crystal jerks and that hydra...going back to the asylum to get the speedy-water ring in hopes that can assist with killing that thing

i am procrastinating going back to sen's, but i'm having fun procrastinating!

Blog Entries

Truth be told, you do not even need the ring; once you get down to the water's edge, the hydra switches to melee as well. A lot of the heads hit areas outside of the water when striking, so going into the water is not that big of a deal. After killing the hydra, you may want the ring.

Also...that basin is pretty much the crystal jerks and that hydra.

Quote Originally Posted by Madonna View Post
    You can totally do the Catacombs at this point and clear it, Jowy; there are rewards enough that you should. If you are messing things up in Darkroot Garden, how are you doing in the Basin? One thing playing through with three characters has taught me: buy a million arrows and keep them stocked.

Sounds like you are pounding through Demon's Souls, Pete for President. Those mindflayers are jerks, and the only real solution to them is trying to blindside them. Have you been to the Shrine of Storms yet? The first creatures you meet there are the poor ancestors of the wheels in Dark Souls. Great place to farm souls.

Have been juggling three characters and have made various progress on them. My main guy summoned a phantom for help and thus found the route I needed to open Anor Londo's first shortcut. Found a painting. Finally sucking it up and putting everything into strength. No actual idea what his SL is.

My pyromancer has killed Blighttown's boss; rang two bells, cleared both Darkroots, revisited the Asylum, cleared the Catacombs, and now debating trying to suffer the Tomb of Giants or go to Sen's. SL 32. Build was going to be Dexterity and Intelligence, but pyromancy is too damn useful; all my slots are for pyromancy spells and I use both my scimitar and bow. There is little room for sorcery and I am regretting that.

Paladin guy, Strength and Faith, is decent, but boring. Miracles do as advertised, but not terribly useful compared to pyromancy or tons of soul arrows. Cleared the Burg, Parish, Depths. Astora's Straight Sword is my current weapon of choice. SL 17.
    I am sort of plowing through Demon's Souls indeed, with about 9-10 hours on the clock I've cleared the first two stages of the first 3 Archstones. Arrived in Shrine of Storms and indeed those enemies are like the wheelthings from Dark Souls. Found Snuggly too, hurray for secrets.

About your Paladin; come the latter half of this game miracles will rock every creature upside down. It's good that it's not your first character, because out of all spell-types miracles are the most secretive. The ones you can buy aren't too interesting, but some secret miracle treasures are downright lethal (and one epic defensive one, at least for PvP).

Went back to some Dark Souls PvP today and I had the most epic 1vs3 in the history of 250+ hours of playing this game. Bare with me: (spoiler free, besides some weapons & spells)
    So I invaded in a certain PvP area and got ganked. Three guys with ultra greatswords started swinging immediately as I spawned. Luckily I had a few good dodges which I followed up with a Fire Tempest. It hit 2 out of 3 gankers, giving me the time to make somewhat of an escape. Of course the 3 hyena's were eager to chase me. Now the Great Scythe I use has a really useful running R1 attack, slashing about 180 degrees. So while I was running for the cliffside in order to use the environment to my advantage I'd sometimes turn around and swing directly into my chasers, doing good damage. I take some hits on the go, but I manage.

Arriving at the cliffside I crossed the bridge halfway. One of the gankers (propably the idiot of the gang) ran himself right off into the depths. I laughed like an evil villain while shifting focus to the other two. Unfortunately I was unable to hold my ground due to someone casting the Force miracle. That could easily throw me off the ledge and into my grave. So I fled the bridge and the fight continued, 2vs1. They were eager, and some quick dodge moves allowed me to counter with a Great Combustion combo, sending the other summon to his doom. So now it's 1 on 1, me versus the host. The host heals, while I have to decide whether to pop a humanity to heal myself or eat a green herb for faster stamina recovery. I picked the green herb and started an all out offensive with about 40% HP left. I quickly showed the ganker who's boss, cause 2 hits and a backstab later the entire squad was eliminated.

I feel so... fulfilled. Sort of like a... Robin Hood or something. Gankers gotta pay!
    Last edited by Pete for President; 08-30-2012 at 01:30 PM.

Blog Entries

That is awesome; congratulations on taking out three guys by your lonesome! I want to be that skilled one day; I usually die when I get invaded, and if there are two people when I invade, I may get one of them, but never both. I am not sure if they do anything to tell you, but I think the first third stage you clear should be World 2's. Doing so will get rid of those pesky barriers in other worlds that may hinder progress. My only advice for any and all bosses in Demon's Souls is to stay mobile. Being a huge slow tank may work with general enemies and other players, but being able to sprint and roll is a gift no one should deny.

I have been playing my initial guy, who turns out to be SL 70 or so. Continued my travels in Anor Londo and it has paid off a fair bit. Solaire helped get me pass one boss fight, and I shrugged off an offer and walked pass an archway I was told not to. I learned not to fear Silver Knights, and am generally ruining the lives of all the enemies I encounter. I have been careful with reversing my hollowing because it seems I upset...a few people. All in all, though, I think I am a better player for having tried out a few different builds before going back to my initial tank. Great Soul Arrow has been strangely a boon to my PvP fights; most people think wielding my Catching Pole in two hands means I only do lumbering melee. With my Oolacile Catalyst and 16 INT, an extra 80~ damage helps seal the deal if people try to run or are debating getting closer. I like missing with my first melee strike; it is a vertical swing, so I use it early, showing an opening, and then the second, horizontal sweep I lock on for, it connects, and the third strike hits them since they are a little staggered.

Edit: Ha ha, I forgot: Oolacile Catalyst does not adjust with INT. My 16 INT is for naught.
    Last edited by Madonna; 08-31-2012 at 03:17 AM.

FFXIV Character

bump

cleared sen's, did not get killed by the mimic. looked pretty askew and mimics from other games always got me into the habit of eyeballing every suspicious treasure chest. killed iron golem on attempt two...surprisingly easy boss! got the gargoyle halberd, shield, and helmet from them as well...enjoying anor londo so far. should i level past SL40 or keep at it?

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I always found the Iron Golem to be one of the easiest bosses of the game, if not the easiest. I don't think I've ever died against him.

FFXIV Character

these archers in anor londo are a whole other smurfing story though

jesus christ

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy View Post

jesus christ
    Oho! The dreaded bridge! I recommend using a large weapon like a great club to knock that guy out of your way.

jesus christ
    Hardest level in the game for me.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I died a lot in Sen's Funhouse today. Jamil, add me on Xbox live for jolly cooperation! I'll take a lightning weapon if you're just giving stuff away!
    I realize that this is a late response. I require an Xbox Live Gold Subscription to get back into the swing of things. I will tend to you when I find a deal for it.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

FFXIV Character

thaaaaaaaaaanks

you're the best

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administator

It is done. What is your level?

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboko View Post
    I always found the Iron Golem to be one of the easiest bosses of the game, if not the easiest. I don't think I've ever died against him.
    There are video's on YouTube where people let Iron Tarkus (the NPC summon for this fight) beat the Iron Golem by himself. It's pretty epic!

Tarkus vs Iron Golem - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboko View Post

jesus christ
    Oho! The dreaded bridge! I recommend using a large weapon like a great club to knock that guy out of your way.
    The Force miracle works well for this part, if you have the 12 faith that's required to cast it. Great shields work wonders too, the knight will bounce himself off the ledge while all you do is block. Parry + riposte is a little harder to pull off but can make things easy for lightweight characters.

Finally, some Demon's Souls progress:
    Things have been pretty smooth. Love the Old Monk, fought a few players but after a few tries I beat the AI version. The Dragon God was extremely disappointing, such lameness. Definitely doesn't live up to his epic looks. And who the hell put those conveniently placed spearguns out there anyway? Doesn't make much sense to me. 1-3 is my favourite level so far, loved every bit of it. Gave 1-4 a shot but got fried by a dragon.

4-2 has been the hardest level so far. It's pretty long too. Really liked the boss fight. 4-3 was pretty epic too, but really easy. Hated 5-1, it's the first and only time so far I looked up a guide when I reached the boss fog. I just didn't want to go through that tithole of a level again. Met Mildred in 5-2, got my ass kicked. Beat her on the second try, found the moonlight sword, beat the boss. Loved 5-3, such drama, but epic!

So I think 1-4 might be the only level left. There's creepy music playing in the Nexus now...

FFXIV Character

SL40, dabrowskitron on live.

jolly co-operation!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administator

Okay. I am Orogo. I will need you to send me a text message when you are available to play.