Thread: The Best

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default The Best

Answer the following questions to the best of your ability. Only one answer for each question please and reasons for your choice is much appreciated.

Best 2D RPG
    Best 3D RPG
    Best CRPG
    Best Turn Based RPG
    Best ATB RPG
    Best Action RPG
    Best MMORPG
    Best Tactical RPG
    Best RPG Score
    Best RPG Ending
    Best RPG Opening
    Best Hero
    Best Heroine
    Best Villain
    Best Cast of Characters
    Best Comic Relief character
    Best World/setting
    Best Transportation (be specific)
    Last edited by Wolf Kanno; 05-02-2020 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Changed one category.

Oh, this isn't a thread about the Mayor...

Articles
    Blog Entries

Best 2D RPG - Odin Sphere Leifthrasir, I need to talk more about this game sometime.
    Best 3D RPG - Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA, big surprise.
    Best Isometric RPG - Ys: Oath in Felghana, an underrated gem.
    Best Turn Based RPG - Trails of Cold Steel 2 albeit not for its combat, exactly.
    Best ATB RPG - Chrono Trigger I mean it's ATB 2.0 what more do you want.
    Best Action RPG - Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA still.
    Best MMORPG
    Best Tactical RPG
    Best RPG Score - Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA again.
    Best RPG Ending - Final Fantasy X, a few candidates there, but FFX's ending truly completes the story best.
    Best RPG Opening - Final Fantasy X as well, actually.
    Best Hero - Tidus truly embodies being a hero.
    Best Heroine - Dana, beyond the shadow of a doubt.
    Best Villain - Kefka, because he's the most pure 'villain', most great antagonistic forces I can think of can't be called villains per se, think Sin from FFX or Magus from Chrono Trigger.
    Best Cast of Characters - Trails of Cold Steel, protags and antags alike.
    Best Comic Relief character - Adelbert Steiner, best guy.
    Best World/setting - Zemuria from Trails, as much as I love Spira it has nothing on the sheer scale of Zemuria.
    Best Transportation (be specific) - Highwind (Final Fantasy VII), no other airship feels quite like it I have to admit.

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Well, I'll do my best on the reasons, but no guarantee it'll be a very good one beyond "because I loved it"

Best 2D RPG
    Tales of Eternia
    I had to think on this one a little because I'm not sure where the line is drawn between "this is a 2D RPG" and "this is a 3D RPG" when a game has a bit of both. In the end I went with a game that has no 3D elements at all, and Tales of Eternia wins in that category. My favorite of the 2D Tales games, and honestly when it comes to the 2D era, I prefer Tales over other RPG series. Smooth combat, a fun adventure through not one but two worlds and Sakuraba music before Sakuraba music got old, what's not to like?

Best 3D RPG
    Trails of Cold Steel 4
    The world, the characters, the story, the music, the gameplay, I dig it all.

Best Isometric RPG
    Ao no Kiseki
    Same as above, basically.

Best Turn Based RPG
    Trails of Cold Steel 4
    For the same reasons that it's my favorite 3D RPG

Best ATB RPG
    Final Fantasy VII Remake Xenogears
    Love the characters, the story, the combo system, the music. Was my favorite RPG in general for a pretty long time, really. Also, I like robots.

Best Action RPG
    Tales of Graces f
    Tales of Berseria comes close, but I still prefer Graces f. Love the characters and the party banter, love the battle system, and it even has a new story arc on top of the regular game. Yeah, the plot is nothing to write home about, but the rest makes up for it.

Best MMORPG
    Final Fantasy XIV
    I vastly prefer its story over other MMORPGs, and I also like the relaxed spectacle that is the combat and boss fights. The music's great too, of course.

Best Tactical RPG
    Super Robot Wars: Original Generations
    Not to be confused with "Original Generation", the GBA game. This is a PS2 remake of Original Generation 1 and 2, with new content on top of that. Needless to say, it's massive, and I like massive. Also, I like robots.
    Anyway, Super Robot Wars is one of the few tactical RPG series I enjoy, and I particularly like the OG entries. This just happens to be the best OG entry.

Best RPG Score
    Ar Tonelico 2
    I've mentioned it occasionally, but Ar Tonelico changed how I view music in games, and 2 is the peak of this. The regular music is great on its own, but what elevates it for me is the (pretty large amount of) vocal tracks that use a fictional language they went through the trouble of actually creating just for this series.

Best RPG Ending
    Trails of Cold Steel 4
    Because it's also sort of a culmination and climax of 14 years and 9 games of Trails. It's not the end of the series or the overarching story, but more like..the end of an act within that overarching story.

Best RPG Opening
    Trails of Cold Steel 4
    To explain the why for this one, however, would be spoiling things.

Best Hero
    Luke from Tales of the Abyss
    Because his is still the best character arc I've seen in an RPG. You don't like this guy at the beginning, you're not supposed to. He's spoiled because he was raised in a tiny bubble. Over the course of the game's events and revelations, not only do you see why he's that way, but you also see him undergo incredible growth and turn into a genuine hero.

Best Heroine
    Estelle from Trails in the Sky
    Because she's awesome and has a lot of subtle growth over the course of the games she's in.

Best Villain
    Spoiler from Spoiler

1) I love it when a villain has a motive that makes you go "I understand now". I'm not talking "boohoo i've had such a crappy life i'm gonna be evil now", but an actual good reason, possibly even a noble one. This villain has a definite *good* goal, but the way they go about it makes them the villain. Or does it?
    2) I also love it when the villain is smart and the game clearly shows it. Now I'm not saying a villain has to be some master manipulator, but at least don't completely ignore the group of heroes that's gearing up to kick your ass. If you're going easy on them, be that by sending your minions one at a time or even by letting them live *after* you beat them, you better have a damn good reason for it. That said, this villain probably could be called a master manipulator.
    (Okay, I'll say it's a villain from Trails, but I ain't saying which Trails, nor the name of the villain)

Best Cast of Characters
    Trails of Cold Steel 4
    Well, I did say earlier that it's a culmination of the games so far, naturally that also goes for the cast.

Best Comic Relief character
    Zeke from Xenoblade Chronicles 2
    Sure, Zeke has serious scenes, but overall I'd say he has enough comic relief moments to call him a comic relief character. He's hilariously ridiculous and everyone around him knows it. Beyond that, though, he's also just a great guy.

Best World/setting
    Zemuria from Trails
    The worldbuilding is part of the reason it's my favorite series in the first place, after all, and it has had 9 games and counting to do so, ever expanding that world. It's really no contest.

Best Transportation (be specific)
    Skells from Xenoblade Chronicles X
    By the time you get your skell, the game has been teasing you with them for a while, so it feels really nice to finally have one. Suddenly you don't have to slowly swim across water, you can hover over it. You can reach far more cliffs and other elevated areas because you can jump way higher. Fast forward and your skell can fly, allowing you to reach even more places. All in one neat package that you can even use in combat! Also, I like robots.

2D - Suikoden 2
    3D - FF7
    Isometric -Don't know
    Turn-based - FF7 if ATB counts (which I think it arguably does but others may disagree). Suikoden 2 if it doesn't.
    ATB - FF7
    Action RPG - Secret of Mana
    MMO - Don't know.
    Tactical - FFT
    RPG score - FF6 or FF7
    Best ending - Suikoden 2 good ending
    Opening - FF7
    Hero - Laguna
    Heroine - Aeris
    Villain - Sephiroth
    Cast - FF8, maybe, but carried mostly by Squall and Laguna, so not sure.
    Comic relief- Steward Ribson from Brave Fancer Musashi
    World - FF9
    Transportation - Lunar Whale

RPGs are fun
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.