Thread: What's some good jrpgs and tactic rpgs?

Default What's some good jrpgs and tactic rpgs?

preferably SNES and PSX genre, but any system counts, no restrictions . I know I'm a little old school, but other than the Final Fantasy series i'm just curious what is some old favorites people got. I want to broaden my horizons. Trying to make a list of games to play in the next year or two. to start it off I will list a few of my favorites.

Parasite Eve 1 & 2
    Suikoden 1& 2
    Earthbound SNES
    Chrono Trigger & Crono Cross
    Saga Frontier 1
    Super Mario RPG
    Breath of Fire 1,2,3, & 4 (never played dragon quarter)
    Wild Arms 1

tactic games

Vagrant Story 1 and 2
    Kartia

I made a small list. my memory is not doing well at the moment but any contribution is much appreciated.
    For the record: Gogo is Gogo, and Daryl is Daryl, but crazy fan conspiracies are so much fun!

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

For straight-up JRPGs, try Wild Arms 2 if you're a fan of the first one. It's different in some ways, but you'll probably still like it. I haven't played it since it came out, though, so maybe I'm misremembering its quality.

Also, Legend of Legaia. A nice, traditional adventure with a unique turn-based "fighting" game battle system. The trick of it all is finding combos and then finding ways to link them together within a limit of inputs. As you level up, you gain more leeway for inputs, but equipment also plays a role in the "stamina" per punch/kick. Check out some clips on Youtube if you're interested.

You also can't go wrong with either of the two Lunar re-releases for PSX.

As for tactics games:

Vagrant Story 1 and 2
    I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you mean Vandal Hearts 1 and 2 and not Vagrant Story. There is only one VS game and it's certainly not a tactical RPG.

The obvious choice for this genre is FF Tactics. From what I remember, Front Mission 3 is also a good time. I don't have a lot of experience with the genre, so others around here probably have more to suggest to you.

Tactial RPGs:

Shining Force and Shining Force II, for the Genesis.
    Fire Emblem. Unfortunately, only the GBA games on have been translated, but they still rock.

RPGs:

Golden Sun series. GBA and DS games, but these games are simply awesome.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

For tactical games you can give the Disgaea series a look. They are on the PS2/PSP but they are really PS1 games at heart. Doesn't matter which one you pick up, they are all pretty much the same.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

front mission 1

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Tactial RPGs:

Shining Force and Shining Force II, for the Genesis...
    I second this motion. Especially with Shining Force II.

Best Stratagy games on the SNES were Ogre Batle: March of the Black Queen and Bahamut Lagood (Which needs a translation patch to run, since it never got a release outside Japan.). Hell, even today Ogre Battle is one of my favorite stratagy RPGs, one of the most unique games of it's kind, as well as the best alignment game I've seen in a video game to date. (Don't get me wrong, it still had it's issues in raising and lowering alignment.) But there were three big factors to take into consideration. Your alignmen, the games mesure of how good or evil your actions are, Charisma, and Reputation, pretty much how people view your actions. You can be a paragon of good, and still be viewed as evil by the people. Or a complete dick but people may have a think you're a saint. There s also characters and mystical artifacts you can collect to determine an ending as well of course.

Brigandine on the PS1 is another favorite. It makes use of hexes over squares, which I find adds a lot more to combat stratety. It has an issue with abusable A. I. though, but for shear gameplay Brigandine is hard to match. There is also a crazy amount of customization over what kind of armies you have.

And I love Devil Survivor, another interesting take on SRPG's, borrowing a few aspects of Bahamut Lagoon from the SNES, it throws in a lot of the aspects known in many Shin Megami games, gives you a lot more customization of groups then Bahamut Lagoon had, and a brilliant story.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Valkyrie Profile, PSX and PSP..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    For tactical games you can give the Disgaea series a look. They are on the PS2/PSP but they are really PS1 games at heart. Doesn't matter which one you pick up, they are all pretty much the same.
    Actually, Disgaea 3 and 4 are both on PS3. Even if they are on newer systems, these games all have a sort of old-school look. They're all 2D sprites for characters, and 3D environments. They all have humoristic and sort of simplistic plots, but the gameplay has gotten really nicely polished over the years, and is probably the most fun SRPG to actually play these days. Attacks and units are all a bit over the top, but that's part of the charm. If you get tired of them, you can turn the more elaborate attack animations off to make battles faster. This is usually a good idea after the first 100 hours.

Oh yes, that's another thing. These games all have a very time-consuming end-game. To truly complete every part of the battle content, you'll need a lot of time. To play through the story, though, you won't need much more time than most rpgs. I think I generally spent 50-70 hours on my first story playthrough for each of the games.
    Last edited by Mirage; 02-19-2012 at 01:40 AM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Do you like WRPG's? If so, you should try the Baldur's Gate series or Planescape: Torment, they both possess an excellent plot and characters, with an intense strategic layer. Both also have excellent soundtracks and world designs. Fallout 1 and 2 as well.

If you don't want a WRPG under any circumstances, I suggest Grandia for the PSX.

Grandia 2 and Legend of Dragoon are pretty good jRPG's.

Tactics Ogre is a great clone of FFT if you enjoy that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

If you're interested in Strategy/Tactical RPGs, the best place to start is Shining Force. It's one of the pioneers that delivers the system very well. It's not very hard at all, but the charm of the music, artwork, characters, and "gamey"ness is excellent. You can play it on Sega Gensesis, an emulator thereof, or remastered to fit an HDTV on the Sonic Ultimate Genesis/Mega Drive Collection for PlayStation 3/Xbox 360, going for about $10 and up these days. That's how I recently played SFII and I can vouch for its quality.

If you want a step up from that, there's Final Fantasy Tactics which is far more complex in both gameplay and story than Shining Force is. It's difficulty can be off-putting, especially since there are several points in the game in which you can potentially get stuck and not progress if you have not made multiple saves. It's available on PS1, PSP, and the PlayStation Store for a modest amount of cash. You might want to try Tactics Ogre, which is more forgiving, as they warn you when to have multiple saves, and you get used to these parts throughout the game. Tactics Ogre is available on some older systems for a lot of money, but an awesome remake just came out on PSP last year. It's the same style, concept, themes, and development team as the later game Final Fantasy Tactics, so you might want to start here to see where it all began, or just for what (in my opinion) is the better game. You can read my review here.

One new series has emerged to shake up the subgenre quite a bit and that's Valkyria Chronicles. The game adds real-time action sequences to a turn-based strategy RPG formula to create a truly unique experience. It's absolutely one of the best modern RPG franchises and you should give it a try to see new developments to the style. They both should be pretty cheap at retail and you can grab the second one digitally for not too much $$$.