Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Playstation Vita

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm a big Sony fan, but I'm waiting. Obviously it's a very sexy machine and the launch lineup is actually pretty good, maybe great even, with UMarvel vs. Capcom 3, Everybody's/Hot Shots Golf, and Unit 13 which between those 3 would probably hold me over for quite some time. Even without the games it would be worth it for me to download my digital PSP/PSOne Classics library, which I'm actually pretty fond of now, and just play that on the OLED while lounging with it to browse the web, use facebook/twitter/etc. But there's only one problem:

The memory cards. Like I already said, I have a huge library of digital PSP and PSOne titles I would want to put on the thing, not to mention the amount of music and videos any self-respecting user would put on it anyway. That's hardly enough room for Vita games, which I wouldn't want to buy physically.

And that card would cost me another $120.

So I can't justify spending $370 for the (3G-less) console itself when I already have incredible titles I haven't beaten yet on my DS and PSP. I think by the time I beat some of those games, the price comes down on the cards, maybe even the machine if it tanks (!) and the library broadens up a bit, that'll be the perfect time for me to go for it. I think the Vita looks amazing, there's just a lot of reasons to hold off, as Sony has complicated yet another launch, sadly.

One last thing I just wanted to say is maybe check out some more of Uncharted before you go for it. Honeslty it looks like those action shooters they tried on the PSP that just weren't that good. The problem was never really dual analog sticks. Peace Walker and the SOCOM games played fantastically. The problem was developers trying to pull off amazing graphics on the system, which they can, and subsequently sacrificing performance. Uncharted looks stunning and appears to run good, but some of the videos I looked at, the gameplay is not as smooth as the PS3 versions and that, honestly, is a huge deal breaker for me. I want developers of this Sony handheld to correct the mistakes of the last time around, to take a note from Call of Duty, and realize that you better make damn sure that game runs smooth as anything before you start worrying about having mindblowing graphics on a handheld.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

How many games could you possibly have? I have a bunch, and I can fit them all on the $30 8 gig
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

With the PSP I can only really fit one or two games on my 2GB memory stick at a time. I store all of my games on my computer and swap them around when I want to play something different. If I can do that with the Vita, then memory cards won't really be an issue for me. I'll just have to wait and see I guess!

The Vita to me is exactly like the PSP. It had few must have games for me, but in time I'm sure it will. I only recently got a PSP, but definitely was a good buy, as I'm sure the Vita will be in time for me as well. Unless the rumors of some developers switching to the 3DS are true.

And while I think giving people a 10% discount for buying games digitally is nice, games like Uncharted are about 5 gigs, and I'm sure there will be larger games. If you download that title you better be buying a big memory stick, and would you really end up saving money in the long run? Maybe if you went Jesswee's route and swapped games on and off.

I see it going very similar to the 3DS though, but maybe not as well as the 3DS is now. And yes, the 3DS has actually become the fast selling console in Japan, ever.
    graph.gif

THE JACKEL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by ljkkjlcm9 View Post
    I see it going very similar to the 3DS though, but maybe not as well as the 3DS is now. And yes, the 3DS has actually become the fast selling console in Japan, ever.
    graph.gif

THE JACKEL
    Wow, that's crazy. I guess if you put out a massive price drop it's bound to do well, though... is that what they did? And I wonder how well the 3DS is selling globally. Japan is becoming more and more niche these days so I imagine that selling so well in Japan is not a guarantee that it'll be considered a success overall.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Cactuar View Post
    How many games could you possibly have? I have a bunch, and I can fit them all on the $30 8 gig
    I've already had to delete some games on my 16GB PSP Go. Jackel said Uncharted is 5 Gigs. I guess it's just a luxury to have every game you own accessible at all times. Not to mention there's two slots so you can have your internal storage and a game. I think I'm better off waiting, though, as I said I still have a lot of crazy stuff to go through on my PSP and DS.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I think the closest console to launch I have ever bought is my PS3 10 months after. (Only because my PS2 broke) For me the actually console has exceedingly little to do with whether I buy it, it is all about game library. And I am a really picky bugger.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    For me the actually console has exceedingly little to do with whether I buy it, it is all about game library.
    You mean people buy consoles for reasons other than that?
    I like Kung-Fu.

Contributions

Always find it hard to believe, but whenever people talk about handhelds all I hear are comments about the physical system.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I think the main problem handhelds have ow is they are trying too hard to be consoles. Handhelds used to be about gaming on the go, now they are about sitting on your couch and playing the games.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I play my PSP on the go just as much as I did my Gameboy Color. That being, not a whole lot outside of my house.

Contributions

I see 'gaming on the go' and 'gaming while not being tethered to a physical location' as two entirely different things. 'Gaming on the go' requires support for very short playtimes and a high convenience factor, whereas the longer and latter just requires portability. IMO it is very, very, very difficult for a dedicated game console to compete with the former, but game consoles have a big advantage in the second respect.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I've never had a problem with current handheld games being too much like console experiences. I don't think they need to be designed around short play times to be effective portable games. All they need is a feature which both Nintendo and Sony's handhelds have had for a few years now:

Sleep mode.

Also, I agree with VeloZer0 that for a lot of people, it's about the physical system. At least with smart phones/tablets/iPod Touch. I don't think any of those games could ever be compelling enough to be system sellers. Library may have made a difference with the iPhone when Android was starting out, but only in the sense that you have a larger garbage can to pick from. I do believe some are buying the 3DS and Vita because of their novelty as cutting edge hardware. Like I said, I would have been fine buying the Vita for its backwards compatibility and online/social features even if it didn't have the launch lineup it does, the problem is the memory cards for me.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think I would feel like an ass if I bought one even though I already have a PSP. Freaking handhelds always releasing in technological babysteps just to make me feel bad about myself...

Articles
    Blog Entries

Like Del, I'll probably buy one when SE inevitably bring out a new Kingdom Hearts game on it that I have to play in order to understand the story of KH3 which knowing my luck will most likely be on the PS4 now.

Bastards -_-