Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you think this game has aged badly?

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Default Do you think this game has aged badly?

I started a new game the other day...for the first time in a good three or four years, and...man, I don't remember it looking this bad, nor to I remember the dialog being this cheesy. I'm still having a blast replaying it so far, but it definitely doesn't have that same effect it used to have on me. Well, I am still in Midgar, so not so far anyway.

Do you think this game has aged worse than the other FFs, or do you think it's still stands strong against later titles?
    I like Kung-Fu.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I'm playing the PC version so the graphics are pretty crispy. Even if they're blocky, it's nice. The backgrounds are still pretty damn decent. I think it aged better than VIII, at least.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

It has aged much better than 8, and I would say around the same as 9. VII is just one of those games that never gets old.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

The PC version with the higher resolution looks much much better. Though the actual character models are the same the reduction in pixelation makes them look much, much better. They still look dated, but they don't look nearly as bad.

The pre-renders look quite simply amazing still. Every time I play a PSX FF I can't help but think that that backgrounds are so much more prominent than in newer titles. I think this might also have something to do with the fact that there is no need for a minimap or hud of any type though.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Yeah, you guys are right about the backgrounds, they still look fantastic.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Technically, some aspects sure have suffered. Everything else is fine, though, some elements are required to look at through nostalgia goggles. And there is nothing wrong with that. My most recently playthrough was last year, and I had almost as much fun as I did back when the game was released.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Only the graphics, everything else is great fun..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I find that I can ignore a lot of cheesyness if I didn't find it so cheesy the first time I played it. I have a hard time going back to games before FFVII because I didn't play them as a kid. It's like trying to get someone to enjoy an episode Seinfeld with you when they've never seen the show before.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

I think the game as aged just fine. I think it depends on what you are looking for in a game though. This game doesn't take itself too seriously and that helps with the fun. The style of the game has never been duplicated so it looks fine and quite honestly a more realistic look would make some weird stuff really smurfed up. Who wants to see a realistic cloud in drag putting the moves on the Don? This is the sort of stuff that works on in an old school game where graphics wouldn't ruin this insanity. It is all in the imagination =D

Articles
    Blog Entries

It depends on how you play it. If you're playing it on PS3 or on an HDTV it could be pretty terrible. But if you play the PC version or on PSP, it looks even better than it did when the console original launched. I think the battle fluidity, music, pacing, and presentation still outclasses most games today by a far margin.

I do agree the script has started to show its age. It's right in between the old and the new as far as production values go, and sometimes the characters do sound like characters stuck inside of a video game instead of characters in a story. But the story itself was so original for its time, it's easy to look past that for me. I had just as much of a blast playing it on my PSP two years ago as I did when it came out.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I personaly didn't play it when it came out, nor even hear about it until a few years ago. I first played it about two years ago, and it has become one of my favorites. No matter what you say it is fun to play, and makes a great psp game.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

To a degree, yes. I played it for the first time on PS2 back in 2002 and compared it to both PS1 and PS2 games, and thought it held well. Now that PS3 is out hell yes it's outdated. Not just the weird polygon graphics, but as some of have mentioned, some the dialogue is just like what. Gotta love the constant grammatical and spelling errors. But I'd be damned if still weren't funny as hell. Characters like Mukki, Cid, and Crossdressing Cloud never get old imo.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm View Post
    Who wants to see a realistic cloud in drag putting the moves on the Don?
    >>> I would totally buy a remake just to see that scene..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

No, it has not. Visually you can make the argument that it has, I guess, but graphics are probably the least important feature of any game. Besides, if you look past the blocky polygons, you'll notice a tremendous art direction for that game.

As for the dialogue, ALL Final Fantasy games have terrible dialogue. Yes, the early games -- including Seven -- suffered from poor translation, but even despite that Square has always been terrible at writing dialogue (just look at Final Fantasy XIII, which is not poorly translated). Square's speciality is in writing narrative and character (or, at least, it was at one point).

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXII had awesome dialogue, though.