Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "The Ten Coolest Moments in Final Fantasy"

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Y'lhyrica Lucid (Ragnarok)

There are so many simply epic moments in Final Fantasy it must be hard to compile a top ten list. I do agree with some of them as they brought back some fond memories, though I actually haven't played through some of the earlier FF games yet so I'm not sure of the references. A little title known as Final Fantasy VI is supposed to be amazing, but I've only just been able to get it on PSN recently, so I'm looking forward to playing that one next.

Does anybody else wish they used a better choice of videos, though? FF7 videos with poor frame rates, silly vocalisations of text, the wrong music used for FMVs, using videos that are taken from guides, etc.?

It really seems to ruin the mood and the point of making an article about the coolest Final Fantasy moments, in my opinion. :/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    FFXII - Any time Balthier speaks.
    Well... yeah.
    Face

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

That was a terrible list... Seriously, Jecht turning out to be Sin is a "cool moment" and not just Square pulling out one of the oldest story cliches in modern writing? smurf you.

Here's my list:

FFII - Emperor Mateus comes back from Hell as it's new Demon King: Seriously, while the fake out death of a villain is pretty normal in games, it's not very often you actually kill the main villain only for him to come back to life and now as a freaking eldritch king. I don't think any other villain in the series gave you as much of a "I'm smurfed" sensation than that moment.

FFIII - The Dark Warriors sacrifice their lives to help the Light Warriors defeat Cloud of Darkness: It comes out of nowhere that the former heroes of the world would come to the rescue and help weaken her enough for your party to actually mount a real comeback against her.

FFIV - Cecil undertakes the trial and becomes a Paladin: Dear god, it's like one of the most iconic scenes not just in FFIV but in the FF history itself. It's an emotional scene that finally allows Cecil to realize that whining around about his past mistakes will not give him closure but rather he needs to redeem himself through action. The fight itself was really clever as well since it seems counter-intuitive to not attack his dark self.

FFV - Galuf's heroic sacrifice: PURE AWESOME ADRENALINE...

FFVI - The Opera Scene: Not only did an opera house feel completely foriegn to be in an RPG but to turn around and actually build a mini-game into it by expecting the player to perform in it? Unheard of and it's probably one of the many reasons this scene is so famous in the franchise. It also allowed us to see both a softer and more human side to Celes who up until now was just the Ex-General turned good guy and it would be this moment that makes the whol love story sub-plot more apparent to the player but also lead to several of Celes' most defining story moments in the game.

FFVII - The Opening: Aerith's death is overrated and god knows I didn't cry. Instead I feel the opening is the best choice cause it really is the best opening in terms of showing off a technical know how of the hardware but it also explains absolutely nothing to the player so creates a sense of intrigue that makes the action packed first dungeon a real roller coaster ride for the player. If only the rest of the game was as well thought out...

FFVIII - Assassinate Edea: Granted a lot of the excitiment is due to some poor usage of the Idiot Ball being passed around to the cast like a case of herpies but it does include into a nice mix of viusal feast, and watching Squall be a badass and steal a car, single handidly storm Edea's float, bitch slap Seifer, and then battle the Sorceress leading to her impaling Squall and thinking he might actually be dead, and then the game asks you to switch discs. Seriously, I don't think any of the PSX FFs had the player scrambling to change discs so they can find out what happened as badly as this scene did.

FFIX - Battle Against Black Waltz #3
    : It's a cool action packed scene filled with heartbreak and awesomness, Vivi pretty much solidifies his immortality within the fanbase for this awesome sequence of events.

FFIX - Bahamut vs. Alexander: This scene is pure fan service but also I just find it nice to witness a CGI cutscene of awesomness dealing with two of the most iconic summons in the series actually duking it out in full glory. It's a great tribute, not just to the series, but to the fans themselves who would appreciate this scene for more than just it's story context.

FFXII - The Sun-Cryst at Pharos: Dear god, this scene is really the ultimate fulfillment of the emotional story of the games three best characters. Ashe finally reaches the end of her journey and makes her choice that has been the heart of the games story, Balthier finally confronts his dad and gets the closest thing to closure we'll ever see, and Basch gets to verbally bitch slap Gabranth by showing that he's better than him by taking the high road and staying faithful to his ideals. Not to mention we get a heroic sacrifice and some awesome boss battles, it's really no wonder most fns can't help but question why this wasn't the end of the game.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I take issue with the Assassinate Edea one. There is a glaring continuity error with that scene. When they trap the float car in the archway cage, the float is facing the wrong way for Irvine to take the shot.

This is especially evident because when Squall drives up to the cage, the back of the float car is facing him. He has to walk around it to get to the platform where Seifer and Edea awaits him.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Who cares if Jecht being Sin is an old cliche, it's still a great moment. Not sure it counts as 'cool' though, as mentioned the assault on Bevelle would be my choice from FFX.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    I take issue with the Assassinate Edea one. There is a glaring continuity error with that scene. When they trap the float car in the archway cage, the float is facing the wrong way for Irvine to take the shot.

This is especially evident because when Squall drives up to the cage, the back of the float car is facing him. He has to walk around it to get to the platform where Seifer and Edea awaits him.
    Like most things involving FFVIII's plot, it's best to approach the scene with your brain shut off.

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Who cares if Jecht being Sin is an old cliche, it's still a great moment. Not sure it counts as 'cool' though, as mentioned the assault on Bevelle would be my choice from FFX.
    Dude, it wasn't even that interesting, I mean you run into Auron in Luca and he casually mentions that Jecht is Sin, it doesn't even get the benfit of having the cheesy "Luke I am your father" spiel. Talk about a lackluster plot revelation.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

I thought it was a very surprising moment when Auron says about Jecht, not lacklustre at all. And FFVIII's plot (which I love) is no dumber than most FF games.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Dude, it wasn't even that interesting,
    I agree. I when Auron said that it was almost like the game didn't even care enough to make me think it was important.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Wolf Kanno;3063714]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post

Like most things involving FFVIII's plot, it's best to approach the scene with your brain shut off.
    Well then! Carry on good sir!

Seriously though, you'd be surprised how many people don't notice that. I'm surprised Square didn't catch it either.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, I had a friend point it out awhile back so I probably wouldn't have noticed myself if left to my own devices. :sweatdrop

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I also prefer storming Bevelle or confronting Yunalesca for FFX's coolest moment. I thought Jecht being Sin was a nice twist, but being something you learn at the beginning of the game, I'm more inclined to vote that moment when you find out why he's Sin, and everyone deciding that's not how it's going to be done, and it will never again be done that way even if it means they're eliminating their only option to defeat Sin.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Sliding into Bevelle on giant chains and then kicking ass and then Yuna jumping off the tower has to be one of the coolest sequences of events in that game not accompanied by the Otherworld theme.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

The music that plays during that sequence is one of my favorites in the series!

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    one of the coolest sequences of events in that game not accompanied by the Otherworld theme.
    Good description.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    FFVII - The Opening: Aerith's death is overrated and god knows I didn't cry. Instead I feel the opening is the best choice cause it really is the best opening in terms of showing off a technical know how of the hardware but it also explains absolutely nothing to the player so creates a sense of intrigue that makes the action packed first dungeon a real roller coaster ride for the player. If only the rest of the game was as well thought out...

It's interesting you explained this, as I was honestly about to ask everyone why they all thought the opening to FFVII was so epic or "the greatest." I'm still having a bit of trouble, though...

To me it always seemed really quiet and boring, and I couldn't wait for the game to hurry up and get to the part where you jump off the train.

For me, in FFVII the scene where President Shinra is watching Sector 7 blow up from Shinra HQ while listening to classic music is a much more poignant and disturbing scene. As iff you didn't already hate Shinra for what they're doing, you really hate him for his cold disconnection.

FFIX has to be the summoning of Alexander, hands down. BEAUTIFUL scene.

FFIX for me is that epic moment when Yuna escapes from her marriage to Seymour while free fallin' it Tom Petty style on the chest of Valefor. SHE JUMPS OFF THE BUILDING AND PLUMMETS TOWARDS BEVELLE. It's pretty epic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.