Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50 Reasons why Final Fantasy VII is the Greatest Game Ever Made (taking ideas)

Default 50 Reasons why Final Fantasy VII is the Greatest Game Ever Made (taking ideas)

Ive had this idea for a while, but I thought it would be better if it the results were the product of a community, and not my own.

The idea is to compile the 50 best reasons why we think Final Fantasy VII is the greatest game ever made

Anything can be a reason, from a single character to a single piece of music, a location, a moment or scene, or even a weapon.

The idea is once we have a large list of reasons together, in a separate thread they will be listed for members to vote on in order. If you list Cloud Strife as your #1 reason why Final Fantasy VII is the greatest game ever, that reason will receive 50 points. If your 50th best reason is the Buster Sword, that reason will receive 1 point. The ballot of every member will be counted and the 50 reasons why Final Fantasy VII is the greatest game ever will be released.

Reasons must only come from the orginal 1997 game. Anything from sequels, spinoffs, animes, books, mangas, or movies are not allowed.

To Start things off, here are some basic reasons. Remember the idea in this thread is to get a comprehensive list of things that make Final Fantasy VII so great. There are a few things, like how the game took you through everyone's background, that are hard to categorize. If you have any suggestions how to do so, then please do tell.

To make looking for something that is already listed easier, I will list the reasons in categories. Everything will be in alphabetical order.

Request away, I will keep it updated. Any suggestions for new categories etc I will add.

Battle

Enemy Skills
    Limit Breaks
    Materia System
    Omnislash
    Simple, but engaging
    Summon Sequences
    Top-level materia (i.e. Bahamut ZERO, KotR)
    Total class customisation

Characters

Aeris Gainsborough
    Barret Wallace
    Biggs
    Bugenhagen
    Cait Sith
    Cetra
    Choco Bill
    Choco Billy
    Chole
    Cloud Strife
    Cid Highwind
    Don Corneo
    Dyne
    Elena
    Elmyra
    Heidegger
    Hojo
    Jenova
    Jessie
    Johnny
    Kotch
    Lucrecia Crescent
    Marlene Wallace
    Mayor Domino
    Mr. Holzoff
    Mukki
    NPCs (SPOILER)I could write a book about them, but just take for example the philosophical, dedicated station guard at Sector 7, and contrastr him with all those surfer dudes and beach bunnies in Costa wo just don't give a tit about anything but their own good time. There are the ones who have been broken by Shinra and have sunk into apathy and despair, and the ones who still believe that Shinra will save them from everything. Comparisons are odious, but in none of the other games have the NPCs captured my imagination like the ones in FFVII. - LicoriceAllsorts
    Palmer
    President Shinra
    Red XIII
    Reeve Tuesti
    Reno
    Rude
    Rufus
    Scarlett
    Scotch
    Sephiroth
    Seto
    SOLDIER (1st, 2nd, 3rd Class)
    Tifa Lockhart
    Tseng
    Turks
    Vincent Valentine
    Wedge
    Yuffie Kisargi
    Zangan
    Zack Fair

Enemies

Diamond WEAPON
    Emerald WEAPON
    Ruby WEAPON
    Sapphire WEAPON
    Ultima WEAPON

Gameplay

The ability to change how a character reacts to you.
    The ability to have a character you showed generosity towards and hit on like you enough to date you.

Graphics

3D World Map
    FMVs
    Graphics that show, but do not choke imagination
    Prerendered backgrounds

Legacy

Helped bring JRPGs to the mainstream
    Original copies being sold for as high as $500
    Still learning new things about the game even today

Mini Games

Basketball
    Boxing
    Chocobo Betting
    Chocobo Breeding
    Chocobo Racing
    Fort Condor Battles
    Hardy Daytona Bike Battle
    Mog
    Scoring 300 on "Super Dunk" so you can buy a life-time Gold Saucer pass on your first visit.
    Snow boarding
    Submarine

Moments

Aeris' Death
    Arriving at '7th Heaven' in Sector 7. Your first "safe" environment of the game
    Barret mourns Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie
    Beating Joe and Teioh with your Chocobo
    Cait Sith giving the key to the ancients to Tseng
    Cait Sith's Death in the Temple of Ancients
    Cid Highwind's Rocket Story about how it ended up tilted over
    Cloud's date with Aerith/Tifa, messing up your lines on the Gold Saucer date
    Cloud meets Aeris for the first time
    Cloud cross-dressing
    Cloud remembers the truth about the Nibelheim Incident , how he threw Sephiroth into the reactor
    Diamond WEAPON's attack on Midgar
    Dyne's suicide/encounter with Barret
    Ending FMV
    Escaping Shinra Tower FMV
    Finding Yuffie (again!) in Wutai
    Flushing toilets
    Having Vincent in your party when you fight Hojo

Jenova escapes Shinra building
    Junon Parade
    Nanaki's introduction - Going from bad guy to party member.
    Opening FMV
    Parachuting into Midgar
    Prelude credits
    Red XIII/Nanaki FMV at the very end
    Red XIII/Nanaki Learns the Truth about Seto
    Sapphire WEAPON's attack on Junon
    Seeing Jenova for the first time in the Nibelheim reactor
    Seeing Jenova for the first time in the Shinra Building
    Sector 7 Pillar collapse
    Sephiroth frees Jenova from Nibelheim reactor
    Sephiroth walks through the fire
    Stopping or letting the train hit Corel
    Tifa helps Cloud find himself in the lifestream
    WEAPON's Escape from North Crater
    Zack's death/flashback in Nibelheim basement

Music

Anxious Heart
    Aeris' Theme
    Birth of a God
    Cid's Theme
    Crazy Motorcycle Chase
    Electric de Chocobo
    Highwind Takes to the Skies
    J-E-N-O-V-A
    Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII
    One Winged Angel
    Reunion
    Still More Fighting
    The Great Warrior
    Those Chosen by the Planet
    Tifa's Theme
    Trail of Blood
    Turk's Theme
    Underneath the Rotting Pizza
    You Can Hear the Cry of the Planet

Places

Aeris' church in Sector 5
    Battle Arena
    Bone Village
    City of the Ancients
    Chocobo Ranch
    Corel
    Corel Prison
    Cosmo Canyon
    Costa Del Sol
    Fort Condor
    Golden Saucer
    Gongaga
    Icicle Inn
    Junon
    Kalm
    Mideel
    Midgar
    Mt. Nibel
    Nibelheim
    Northern Crater
    Rocket Town
    Sector 7 Slums
    Shinra Tower
    Temple of the Ancients
    Wall Market
    Wutai

Story

Campy
    Elements of Horror
    Elements of Science Fiction
    Epic
    Exposition
    Lifestream mythology
    Love Triangle
    Mako mythology
    Pace
    Significance of its themes to contemporary life
    Transition from fighting a tyrant megacorporation to saving the world to going after one man to settle personal issues

Vehicles

Chocobo (Blue, Green, Black, Gold)
    Hardy Daytona
    Highwind
    Submarine
    Tiny Bronco

Weapons

Apocalypse
    Buster Sword
    Gatling Gun
    Junon Cannon
    Masamune
    Meteor
    Sister Ray
    Ultimate Weapon (Cloud's)
    Last edited by clowd; 02-29-2012 at 12:08 AM.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

You are missing the critical moment where you can go on a date with a Big Burly Black man or a sexy piece of 16 year old jailbait!

You also don't have the moment where you get the Red Submarine.

Or the greatest summon spell of all time: Choco-mog! It combines Chocobos and Moggles into one dish of awesomeness. True story, I defeated Sephiroth with Choco-mog the first time I played the game.

How about the time you got the opportunity to run up 60 flights of stairs! So awesome!

How about great typos that have become classisc? I don't see "This guy are sick" or the "Nolespole" anywhere. Classic just like Your base are belong to us.

Or how about the emotional whiplash of Aeris sad death followed by some totally radical snowboarding. SO CONFUSING!

I also like how a wimpy stab to the gut killed Aeris but Sephiroth gets his guts eviscerated and literally walks away thus making him a total bad ass.

OH MY GOD! How could I have forgotten going to the Honey Bee in for some steaming group action! Clearly that was even sexier than Cloud almost kissing the Don!

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Being raped in the %)$* room is up there too.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

There is nothing jailbait about a 16 year old, not even in most US states.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

History will probably record that the greatest thing about this game is, without a doubt, Aeris' death at the end of a notably long disk one. Everyone who has ever played this game should love it. Aeris is the kind of character that, in my experiences at EoFF, is either loved and hated by fans of the game. The reason that Aeris' death is perfect is because it makes the game better for both sides. For those that love her, they grow even more attached to the desire to destroy Sephiroth. They go through a great emotional experience in a video game which isn't a common thing these days. For those that hate her, they get to watch her die. As one of the latter people, I assure you: This is an experience of joy worth feeling. The knowledge that this harlot was gone from the game for good after I had spent so much time trying to ensure she stays as far away from my characters as possible left me cheering and applauding. Well, maybe not literally, but at least in my head. I may have raised a fist or two in the air and had a smile on my face as she slowly fell to the ground and the dramatic (and lovely) music began to play. Adios, Aeris.

Personally, Aeris death did not attach me to any character but just made me enjoy the fact that she was gone. For my personal favourite moment of the game, though, it is one that broke my heart - that of Red XIII howling his sorrow beneath his father, who had been turned to stone years ago. A few tears fell from Seto's eye, showing he was alive somewhere in that stone - and clearly had been for many, many years - and could hear his long-lost son's cries. Touching.

There was recently an article on another website that included the top ten moments of Final Fantasy's games, and the number one choice of the writer was the emergence from Midgar into the world map. I must concede that after spending so much time in Midgar, it was a massive moment in gaming for me and I do adore how it was delayed so long, making it what I can only refer to as a Shawshank moment.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Sorry, I live in Illinois and the age requirement here is what I think of and mistakenly apply on a grand scale :P

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

This game is notable for the fact that it has caused a never ending debate whether it's bad or good. First it was praised, years later sever hype backlash set it, and THEN backlash against the original backlashers.

To this day this game continues to be dissected worse than any frog by a psychotic biology student. That's gotta count for something.
    Last edited by Sephex; 05-25-2012 at 07:32 PM.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

It is in California.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    This game is notable for the fact that it has caused a never ending debate weather it's bad or good. First it was praised, years later sever hype backlash set it, and THEN backlash against the original backlashers.

To this day this game continues to be dissected worse than any frog by a psychotic biology student. That's gotta count for something.
    I dunno, I never really saw a period where it was universally lambasted. There were always a few vocal people who fought against it (which is always the way) but it was still topping "best all time game" lists all over the place.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    This game is notable for the fact that it has caused a never ending debate weather it's bad or good. First it was praised, years later sever hype backlash set it, and THEN backlash against the original backlashers.

I dunno, I never really saw a period where it was universally lambasted. There were always a few vocal people who fought against it (which is always the way) but it was still topping "best all time game" lists all over the place.
    I just seemed to me a few years ago that hating on FFVII was the "cool" thing to do. There are always those type of people who will stroke every key of their keyboard as hard as they can thinking they can revolutionize the internet's opinion on something, but as I said, I noticed A LOT of those type of people rallying against FFVII.

It just seemed to me a few years ago that hating on FFVII was the "cool" thing to do.
    It was, and I was under the impression it still was. Though, I have not been around the fan base in a long time and if that has changed at all I would be very impressed.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Another reason why the game is great: Final Fantasy VII is still selling high on Amazon and is currently almost sold out. They have to restock the game frequently. The black label edition sold for like something $500 back in 2009. It's in high demand because people want to play it even though it's aged considerably. Every other FF is selling for way under the price FFVII is selling for. People can hate if they want, but money talks.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Kenshin IV View Post
    It just seemed to me a few years ago that hating on FFVII was the "cool" thing to do.
    It was, and I was under the impression it still was. Though, I have not been around the fan base in a long time and if that has changed at all I would be very impressed.
    Being bitter is something that has always been and will always be around, but I think there's a solid reason that VII has always been the most popular of the Final Fantasy forums, even during recent years, and I don't think it's because everyone really enjoys posting about how bad a game is.

Quote Originally Posted by clowd View Post
    Battle

E. Skills
    Top-level materia (i.e. Bahamut ZERO, KotR)

Characters

Biggs
    Choco Bill
    Choco Billy
    Chole
    Elmyra
    Jessie
    Kotch
    Mayor Domino
    Mr. Holzoff
    Mukki
    Scotch
    Seto
    SOLDIER (i.e. 3rd Class, 2nd Class, 1st Class)
    Wedge

Vehicles

Chocobos (i.e. Blue, Green, Black, Gold)

Weapons

Apocalypse
    Cloud's Ultima Weapon