Thread: Favorite Moment in the Game

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dancing Chocobo Favorite Moment in the Game

Title says it all, I actually have about four favorite moments in the game.

First Battle with the Four Fiends member Lich - Not only was he both visually and mechanically different from the rest of the games monsters, I really feel the battle with him is the real beginning of the game's narrative. Up until then you've been helping out villages and kingdoms searching for clues about the crystals and finally a tip off leads you to the bowels of a rather nasty dungeon to face this guy, who is much harder than anything else you have faced up until now and signified to the player that saving the world was going to be an uphill battle.

Class Change - While I knew it was going to happen thanks to playing this game later in it's lifetime, but it still didn't quite prepare me for the awesomness that was the class change and how my worthless thief I've been dragging through this game finally payed off for me. It's really the closest thing you get to a moment of shining light of hope in this game as the game finally gets a bit easier thanks to the extra oomph.

Going to the Flying Fortress - I didn't quite expect this, while airships are such a staple of the series that I hardly consider it "high-tech" going to the Sky Fortress was a different story and really changed my view of FFI's world. Up until now I felt like a typical 'swords and sorcery" fantasy with usual fantasy staples, but here you are in a floating city that is flying due to scientific breakthrough. Here you are getting to fight robots after hours of slaying orcs and zombies. It was a real game changer for me that actually really got me thinking about the world of the game outside of the context of the story, which is something that doesn't happen very often.

Time Travel Loop of DOOM!!! - This also caught me by surprise, mainly cause the story has been so straight forward and as an early NES game, you really don't expect much in terms of story telling twists. It's late in the game, and part of it doesn't make much sense, and it certainly makes the ending a bit fuzzy as well, but it was completely unexpected and one of the elements that I really felt differentiated it from other RPG series of the time like Dragon Quest and Phantasy Star. The twist with Garland and the Chaos Temple also created a nice bookend feeling to the games narrative.

So what are your favorite moments?

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Crossing The Bridge
    It really makes you feel like you just completed the prequel to a great adventure.

Getting the Airship
    I imagine the impact of this has lessened as you get an airship in every game, but for me it is always super exciting to finally have the ability to fly.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Crossing the bridge is always something I look forward to. It's just an amazing moment.
    Other then that it's when you're all set at the end of the game to go to the Temple of Fiends and finally figure out what's going on, hopefully.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

The ending to the game really touched me a lot, what with the whole (SPOILER)thing where the game tells you "Wait, it wasn't just the warriors of light who saved the world, it was YOU!" I thought it was such a really neat and personal touch that games don't really do anymore.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, that was pretty awesome.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Beating up pirates and stealing their ship. smurf yeah.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

The class change. It blew my mind as a child and made me feel all badass.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Getting the airship. There's something special about liftting off out of the desert and having the entire world at your fingertips.
    Figaro Castle

Banned

And so, their journey began..

And the final face-off with Garland. I'm all about the iconic moments with the old school FFs. Since dialogue and music were the only governing things and not epic scenes, that kind of comes naturally for me especially since it's the grandpappy of all the others.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Currently playing this game for the first time on my iPhone so I've skimmed over the responses to avoid any spoilers.

I've just gone through the class change which is definitely one of the biggest highlights so far. The sprites on this version have clearly been spruced up since the days of the NES but my characters now look awesome!

I have to agree as well that the airship rising out of the sand stood out for me. Though they must find sand absolutely everywhere! I bet that ruins their bacon sandwiches in the morning.

I was actually quite thrilled to meet the first incarnation of Bahamut having kicked some serious arse with him as a summon FFVII.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Fighting all the RSLs. It made me feel manly.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> All the FF1 moments are epic, picking the adamant and making the Excalibur is among my favs..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Yeah I think that Romney has this one in the bag.

Getting the airship is my personal favourite moment in the game, because my next stop is to fly around doing all the cool stuff that makes my characters freakin' excellent. It's such a relief to have the freedom to do all of that.

I also love removing the black mage from the party at the class selection screen in any remake that has it as a default.