Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only person who finds the character designs bland or just plain stupid?

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Well, I can't tell if the official artwork shows him sporting some gruff, or if those are just pencil marks:

Also, concerning the artwork:

Blog Entries

If they ever made a FFVIII live-action movie (god forbid) the only redeeming quality would be if they cast Robin Williams as Headmaster Cid.
    Face

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I would watch that.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I always did think they looked similar.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

45 minutes of the film would entail Robin Williams acting like a dork for no apparent reason. A fine distraction from the nonsensical plot of a Final Fantasy VIII movie which I can only imagine would be built like Epic Movie.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Tigmafuzz View Post
    If they ever made a FFVIII live-action movie (god forbid) the only redeeming quality would be if they cast Robin Williams as Headmaster Cid.
    I have an issue of EGM buried somewhere, from back in 1999 right before FFVIII was going to come out, and it had like 20 pages of FFVIII material, and the last page talked about making an FFVIII movie and who would be good actors for it. I specifically recall Samuel L. Jackson's picture in it though. I can't imagine who they thought he would be good to play in FFVIII. o__O
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigmafuzz View Post
    I have an issue of EGM buried somewhere, from back in 1999 right before FFVIII was going to come out, and it had like 20 pages of FFVIII material, and the last page talked about making an FFVIII movie and who would be good actors for it. I specifically recall Samuel L. Jackson's picture in it though. I can't imagine who they thought he would be good to play in FFVIII. o__O
    Every single character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

'That is it! I have had it with these mother****ing sorceresses in this mother****ing school!'
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

I thought FFVIII's character designs were among Nomura's best.
    I agree with this. The game also has hands-down my favourite summon monster designs too. They look more "down to earth" than anything else in the series, if a summon monster can be described as "down to earth" at all.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The summons in this game is actually something I like. I like how each summon has a history and biography to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Traitors Can't Hide. Phoenix Rising's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Arrow View Post
    I thought FFVIII's character designs were among Nomura's best.
    I agree with this. The game also has hands-down my favourite summon monster designs too. They look more "down to earth" than anything else in the series, if a summon monster can be described as "down to earth" at all.
    I third this, I like how all of their uniforms were realistic. I really wish Square would have created more alternative costumes though, and let you wear your SeeD and Balamb cadet uniform in the game, like switching between them whenever you wanted.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I was a huge fan of the cadet outfit and would've loved to wear it more frequently. The SeeD uniform was also pretty stylin'.

Traitors Can't Hide. Phoenix Rising's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    I was a huge fan of the cadet outfit and would've loved to wear it more frequently. The SeeD uniform was also pretty stylin'.
    Square should have taken a note from Capcom, doing something similar to what they did with the early Resident Evil games, where once you beat the game you unlock alternative costumes. For instance you mentioned the Cadet and SeeD uniforms, it appears that a game mechanic to switch between uniforms was implemented in the game, if I recall correctly, but it was only available during linear plot events. Perhaps the developers originally intended to let you swap outfits regularly, but decided against it for some reason?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Rising View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    Square should have taken a note from Capcom, doing something similar to what they did with the early Resident Evil games, where once you beat the game you unlock alternative costumes. For instance you mentioned the Cadet and SeeD uniforms, it appears that a game mechanic to switch between uniforms was implemented in the game, if I recall correctly, but it was only available during linear plot events. Perhaps the developers originally intended to let you swap outfits regularly, but decided against it for some reason?
    No, it was probably just a monotonous device to make the player do things for unwarranted realism.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Definitely, but I would have liked them to keep it. I much prefer Zell in his cadet uniform, or even his SeeD uniform; his casual clothes are weird. It would also be good to see if Irvine wears his hat while in uniform.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.