Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Am I the only person who finds the character designs bland or just plain stupid?

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

While I agree that many of the designs were pretty dumb there was a point. For instance, Squall's ridiculous amount of belts was to keep Seifer from his crotch. So you see, there's a reason for everything.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, I do actually think the character designs in FFVIII were pretty bland compared to the rest of the FF games. Can't say I hate stupid, since I would imagine most of the characters would be easy for cosplayers to pull off!

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Blog Entries

Since we are reviving old topics, I want to say VIII had good costume designs for the kind of time/era the game is set. I grant that not many things are terribly fancy, but neither were a lot of the implementations for previous Final Fantasy costume designs. Amano's work might look super cool, intricate, and fun, but the sprites could not do his vision justice. Nomura designed his costumes for a game that was honking on about how they had more polygons and could make things less blocky than VII; I think more elaboration to the extent that he got with X would have been a very bad, bad thing. Belto Maxon is pretty much the argument against that Nomura should have done things flashier.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't mind the costumes for this game. They could have been a little more flashy and memorable but that doesn't really seem to be the way the overall style of the game was set, anyway.

Edea definitely had the coolest outfit, though.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Cactuar View Post
    I hate Adel. As does everyone... Adel is a man....

Has anyone else ever thought oh look, someone put Robin Williams in FF?

YES. CID IS ROBIN WILLIAMS. HE REALLY REALLY IS.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Costumes for VIII were fairly cool. Though Zell was a weak point in that. It would I agree have been nice to get some different outfits going on. Especially the SeeD Cadet/SeeD Dress Uniforms. Maybe the Gabaldian Soldier uniforms would've been too much to believe except for maybe Rinoa (who knows maybe have some extra side missions where wearing the uniform would allow you to sneak past guards a-la missile base). I know Nomura loves belts, like look at X and how many belts and stuff was going on there but I really don't get the complaints about Squall having 3 belts across his waist/hips. Clearly going by the animations of him drawing his Gunblade outside of battle in the training center for example he's drawing it from behind his back but low as if the blade is slung diagonally down behind him from right hip to left leg. 1 Belt to hold trousers up, 2 belts to support the sheer weight of a Gunblade (it is detailed in the game that the Gunblade is a heavy weapon to wield and quite cumbersome, becoming a master of it takes time and effort) The only other belts he had were a thigh strap with ammo holding capability on his left thigh. This makes sense since his Gunblade from the moment we first see it clearly has 6 chambers and thus must require reloading after that. The biggest issue I have with this character design is clearly whilst Squall has his belts on show when outside of battle or at least in fmv's his sheath/weapon are never shown except for if the blade is in his hands fighting (exclude the intro with the spinning flying Gunblade, which would indicate that at some point Seifer has disarmed him in the "training battle" lol) If we were discussing why X has so many belts in so many unusual outfits then we'd be on to something.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Think is the Gunblade that got the attention during that time.

"What dude, a gun and a sword together!? Awesome. I am so totally focusing on the sword and nothing else on the characters!"

Quote Originally Posted by Lockharted View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Cactuar View Post
    I hate Adel. As does everyone... Adel is a man....

Has anyone else ever thought oh look, someone put Robin Williams in FF?

YES. CID IS ROBIN WILLIAMS. HE REALLY REALLY IS.
    Notice how Cid also gives you a genie in a lamp summon as well ?

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Now that is a neat coincidence!

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.