Thread: Larsa is the Best Main Character in the Series

Default Larsa is the Best Main Character in the Series

Gotta say I love Larsa Solidor. It's nice having a protagonist who is both very intelligent and eloquent. While we all know Square loves their young heroes, picking Larsa takes it a bit further by being quite a bit younger than every other main character in the series. We cannot forget his deep connection the game's story and conflict what with being heir to the Evil Empire of the game as well as brother to the primary antagonist. While he was far from a wuss or coward he had some understandable trepidations about fighting his own brother but he manages to overcome them in teh game. Some wonderful character development there.

FFXII is an amazing game, made even moreso by Square's genisu choice of leads.

Now back to reality.

What the Hell, Square. You wanted a young, good-looking hero as the face of your game? Fine. YOU FRICKIN' HAVE ONE. He's awesome. He dual wields. He's better than almost every character we actually ended up being able to play.

Forget Vaan. Larsa fit all the petty requirements while also being a great character.

Blog Entries

He would've been a great main character if it wouldn't mess up the storyline. As much as I despise Vaan, Balthier pretty much makes up for it.
    Face

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

Don't you mean <vaan>"Lamont?"</vaan>

Banned

I can't really brand any one character as the best in the series, but if I went by a FF specifically, I'd go with the main characters in FFIX.

I've always felt that it is one of the best in character development. If not the best, really. All the characters are thoroughly sketched and likeable.

If I had to choose candidates for the 'best' character, It would be between Cid (FF7), Cecil (FF4), Regent Cid (FF9), Balthier (ff12), and yeah, probably Larsa as well.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Intelligent and eloquent isn't enough for me. I found him interesting enough, but I wouldn't put him anywhere near my top ten characters of the FF series. It doesn't help that I'm not a big fan of heroe that look like ten year olds.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    It doesn't help that I'm not a big fan of heroe that look like ten year olds.
    That's kind of the charm, imo. He is young, and yet intelligent and integral. He is kind of girly though. I was confused of his gender at first

Blog Entries

I think when he gets older he'll be as cool as (if not cooler than) Balthier. YEAH I SAID IT
    Face

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Sum1sGruj View Post
    It doesn't help that I'm not a big fan of heroe that look like ten year olds.
    That's kind of the charm, imo. He is young, and yet intelligent and integral. He is kind of girly though. I was confused of his gender at first
    That kind of charm never worked on me. Young as in 18-28, okay. Young as in 10-15, no thanks. Especially the child genius. I prefer children in such stories to act like children. The child genius, to me, is one of the most annoying and overdone clichés in literature, film and gaming alike.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tigmafuzz View Post
    I think when he gets older he'll be as cool as (if not cooler than) Balthier. YEAH I SAID IT
    Balthier being Doctoe Cid's father is a nice touch.

Sky pirate and mad scientist.

Dysfunctional family

I like Vayne. I think he made a good villain simply because at first, he seemed like a good guy and then he went gangster. Reminds me a bit of Seymour, though he was just kind of creepy from the start.
    That really is what boosts the integrity of Larsa, contrasting him to his bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    What the Hell, Square. Forget Vaan. Larsa fit all the petty requirements while also being a great character.
    Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Agreed.

I wonder what his Quickenings are? Somebody make one up!

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Sum1sGruj View Post
    His name only adds to the confusion. Larsa does not sound like a very masculine name to me.

I think that the style of that world and his age really deal a blow to his masculinity, personally. He was a good character, but I find it difficult to empathize with children in video games. At least he was able to fight!
    I believe in the power of humanity.

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Especially the child genius. I prefer children in such stories to act like children. The child genius, to me, is one of the most annoying and overdone clichés in literature, film and gaming alike.
    To be fair, looking at the setting of the game, Larsa can get away with being smart. As the son of the Emperor, no doubt he had access to the highest and best forms of education that Archades had to offer. Likewise, being of a ruling family, it only makes sense if he has insight in politics, and was no doubt taught them as well, given that politics were the most likely reason why somebody might try to kill him. I think he was taught from early on where his place in the world was and what his role in it was, and the dangers that life at the Emperor's court would pose. It's only kind of natural that he gets informed of that, being one of the Emperor's remaining two sons and a potential heir. Ivalice in XII, despite its technology, seems to work as a classic medieval society, and though I'm no expert, a strong potential heir meant everything in those days. Though Vayne probably got most of the good stuff, I think Larsa was kept well up to date and knowledgable as well, in case something happened to Vayne.

Approached from that angle, Larsa's genius is not so much genius as it's simple education. He's an Emperor's son, tis merely logical that he's smarter than, for example, Vaan and Penelo, who're only commoners, and streetrats at that. Their education was probably not very developed. Unlike Larsa's.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Elpizo View Post
    To be fair, looking at the setting of the game, Larsa can get away with being smart. As the son of the Emperor, no doubt he had access to the highest and best forms of education that Archades had to offer. Likewise, being of a ruling family, it only makes sense if he has insight in politics, and was no doubt taught them as well, given that politics were the most likely reason why somebody might try to kill him.
    I agree. I think Larsa seemed well educated rather than being overly intelligent. The child genius archetype tends to get into trouble due to trying to do too much, like Penny from Inspector Gadget or something, right?
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Yes. Very Girly.
    First time he wields a bow , i really think he is a girl.
    Late-model earring, he should put at least as cool as balthier's.
    He is quite innocent than his calm antagonist-cold brother.
    He is also one i think can go on a date with penelo