Thread: Games you want other EoFFers to play

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by WK
    I'm guessing it has to do with the game being heavy on backtracking and forcing you to actually manually travel through towns and dungeons to reach places (which even the older games are guilty of doing as well, though a bit less annoying) which is especially notable because the dungeons are nothing to write home about, though they are thankfully short when you compare them to the dungeons maps of FFX and XIII by comparison. I've been actively trading and hunting down rare finds and fighting optional bosses in all three chapters for the three main characters, and doing all that without Viki's quick travel teloportation has balooned my gameplay time to nearly fifty hours despite the fact I just got to Chapter 4, which some would argue is when the actual overall plot begins.
    I don't want to hijack this thread to be all about Suikoden, but after Suikoden IV, I was never so happy to get Viki as in III. It takes a long time to get around in that game, without the benefit of being able to explore much. The battle system also had its flaws, with the buddy system and the fire rune (aka rune of self-immolation). Really, I think the game just wasn't as polished as others in the series, with some changes not being well thought-out in the transition to 3D and the PS2 (another example: the skill system was too easily maxed out for the main characters; V handled it much better). The story can also be more or less engaging depending on how you choose to play the chapters. If someone new to the series played, say, all of Hugo's chapters first, I could see how that could bore someone to the point of them not wanting to play the rest.

I still think III is a great game, largely due to the plot and very interesting characters and the innovative 3-character system. I would rank it similarly to V, despite V's far superior polish. But I can understand how someone new to the series could be a bit put off by it. I agree that full appreciation is benefited by playing the games in order.

Back on topic, I've been meaning to play Wild Arms for a while. It's on my ever-growing list of games I need to get around to playing eventually.

Blog Entries

I feel so proud of myself for having played almost every game in this thread. Although I've only beaten about half of those
    Face

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    Cyber Troopers Virtual-On.

But only if you can find an original arcade machine. Until you've played that you don't get to play a console iteration
    Hell yes!
    Voot is here in canada but years ago. Probably gone now :sad:

I like "Apharmd" and viper

Oh yeah. Baldur's Gate. Those were some of the deepest and most compelling gaming experiences out there. The days when the Fallout boys and the Mass Effect boys collaborated and created something awesome. I have Planescape Torment on my external drive, but my desktop took a poop right after I got the patches and stuff for it, and my laptop was never something stable enough I'd trust to a gaming experience. But I need to get back to those games. Games with 100+ hours of content are usually boring and repetitive to me. But those games were enthralling and immersive. And excellently written

Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake for the MSX (or PS2 if you're lucky enough to find a copy of MGS3: Subsistence.)

Words can't describe how much I enjoyed this game. There is some annoying backtracking to do but if you can enjoy the rest of the game enough I find it rather forgivable. Oh, and you'll notice it plays a hell of a lot like MGS.

It's not a very long game either so if you end up not liking it you won't even waste that much of your life on it.

Blog Entries

It's on the MGS:HD collection as well, since MGS3 is based on the subsistence version.

Baten frickin' Kaitos: Eternal frickin' Wings and the Lost frickin' Ocean.

This game is awesome. If you are a Chrono fan, Masato Kato also wrote this.

It is a Gamecube-exclusive with stunning visuals, a very creative battle system and a pretty neat little story.
    Oh and can't forget the music. A taste of things to come should you play this awesome game-
    Normal Battle Theme.
    Normal battles are now amazing because of this song.

Soft Labyrinth
    A pretty rarely used track that is nevertheless very exciting and guaranteed to get your blood pumping.

Vitriolic a Stroke
    This game has a great variety of boss themes. This is the weakest but since the OST is so good that hardly means anything.

I'm told the composer is famous for doing most of those Tales games that a lot of my fellow JRPG enthusiasts talk about all the time.

If you want a bit more detail, here's a review a friend of mine did way back when.
    Baten Kaitos - Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean - Zelaron Gaming Network

If you like good music, a cool story, beautiful fantasy worlds and fun gameplay, you will like this game.

The voice-acting is kinda bad but who cares.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Freelancer
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

I will agree with whoever said Dark Souls.

I'd like to add:
    Legend of Legaia (PSX)

Star Ocean: The Second Story (PSX)

Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (PSX)

Pikmin 2 (GC)

Miner: Dig Deep (XBLA) - A $1 XBL Arcade game that consists solely of digging deeper and deeper, collecting and selling gems, and upgrading your equipment. It isn't the most exciting game but it is great to come home, turn off the brain, listen to the soothing music, and dig for some gems.
    Last edited by I Took the Red Pill; 03-20-2012 at 07:04 AM.

Trace Memory (DS)
    Elebits (for those into cute cuddly things you get to suck up with a vacuum)
    Hey You Pikachu (NO SHAME)
    EDIT: Threads of Fate. Gave it to my cousin, never got it back. IT'S A GOOD GAME, CHECK IT OUT
    Tomba, a sorta rare game, but good nevertheless.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors

is one of my favorite games even though its just a visual novel/escape game

best part of this post? you can play the DEMO right here:

999: Enter

999 - Trailer (DS) - YouTube

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Arrow View Post
    Wild ARMS
    Now there's a game I've been considering getting off the PS Store. I have the original discs of 2 and 3, but the first one still has that early Playstation charm and I never actually owned it. WA2 was way different in vibe, IIRC. The third one was closer to 1, but from what I remember kind of boring and drab for whatever reason. I never played 4 or 5 because they basically looked like completely different games than what I liked about the first three.
    Play it. Just... just play it. The first Wild Arms is quite possibly one of my favorite PS1 games. That and the original Parasite Eve (which if you haven't played it, please do so, like right away). The dungeons had great zelda inspired puzzles (although some of them require a stretch of the imagination), and the music is amazing.

Also, I would recommend the first Sin and Punishment and give Theglassesgirl a huge thumbs up for mentioning trace memory.
    Returners Represent!

Blog Entries

I'm always trying to get people to play Guild Wars. And I'd love to have some EoFFers with me adventuring around Tyria in Guild Wars 2!

I used to be really into the Saga Frontier games, always telling people to check those out. I too loved Threads of Fate. Wish I still had it. Maybe I'll have to emulate it.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Monopoly.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Super Ninja Boy - SNES..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..