Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Street Fighter X Tekken sucks

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    I've always been under the impression that Vs. games have always been more about over-the-top, and simplified configurations to make it fast, frantic, and all around crazy. Not necessarily for trained fighters to have top their tournaments
    That argument might fly if the Vs. game in question wasn't a crossover between two of the most popular fighting game franchises ever and made by one of the biggest companies in the genre who are themselves responsible for some of the most popular competitive fighting games ever. The competitive bar is much higher here than it ever was for something like Smash Bros.

Not sure what your last sentence means...Vyk. But every fighting game in the VS. series are competitive in their own right. I hesitate to call this one serious though, but i will give it some time. I am currently unimpressed.

But not all crossover games are over the top, only the Marvel/Tatsunoko series. Even then theres a huge amount of depth for each specific game attributed to it.

That argument might fly if the Vs. game in question wasn't a crossover between two of the most popular fighting game franchises ever and made by one of the biggest companies in the genre who are themselves responsible for some of the most popular competitive fighting games ever. The competitive bar is much higher here than it ever was for something like Smash Bros.
    However, its generally known that this current generation of fighters(mainly anything after SFIV) is much more simplified and for the masses than ever before with the exception of King of Fighters XIII. Especially Capcom games, so i feel that the bar actually has been lowered as of late.

I say this because systems are generally more accessible when you play Marvel 3, or SSFIV with shortcuts and more formulaic style. Games before this era generally tended to be more complicated and for the hardcore.

The way Marvel 3 plays is generally a lot of zoning, and once you get hit, its basically do your combo in very similar ways almost always. Which is ABC Launch, Air Combo, On the Ground hit into another relaunch and then super(s) or end.

Marvel 2 however is too complicated to even describe in such a fashion, there is many different ways to play and the execution barrier is higher. Some playstyles don't even involve doing a combo, ever. Combos are not as easy as just super jump and press a couple buttons, the timing is very strict on certain strings.

Similarly SFxT has the spacing and fastness of say the Alpha/Capcom vs SNK series in some form, but like Marvel 3, once you get in the game is vastly simplified the combo into chains. Weak - Medium - Hard - Juggle into Launch..and repeat a couple of this and maybe end with Super. In older comparable VS. games like the CvS series, the characters were more varied and again cannot be simplified into a couple quick sentences.

Baiscally, nowaday Capcom fighters are pick up and play. Older titles generally involved quite a bit of research at minimal to try to play at a decent level. I just don't like the way the franchise is turning out...its too formulaic.

EDIT: I think i actually compared it to Smash Bros Brawl at one moment when playing it too. Of course not exactly like it, but still.
    Last edited by Lionx; 03-14-2012 at 03:52 PM.

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3