Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Legend of Korra

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

something about the line work seems different
    or maybe its just that korra has boobs and aang didn't

The following contains my impressions on the first episode. No story spoilers, of course, but I thought I'd mention it anyway as a courtesy so that you can skip this post if you don't want to know anything from art direction, music, acting etc. until you've seen the ep.

(SPOILER)I've been looking forward to seeing this, and from what the first leaked episode showed me, a lot of interesting stuff is going on with nice character dynamics which bounce off of one another. The animation is very good for the most part (not only action but the portrayal of subtle emotions and body language too), the art design is beautiful (gotta love the faux Roaring Twenties feel which Republic City is giving us), the character design is memorable (although I admit I absolutely despised one child character's look, and I hope we won't be seeing much of him although that seems unlikely) and the soundtrack is already a lot more polished and varied than the first series's rather one note feel (gotta love the jazz!).

The voice acting is top notch, which is no surprise considering that Andrea frickin' Romano is directing the VAs. Janet Varney (no literary vampire jokes, please) surprised me positively because the previews didn't really impress me. She has a nice range and can emote well as well as give Korra her distinctive personality. I'm already falling for her thanks to that; there's just something adorable about her enthusiasm as she interacts with various people in her own way. I really enjoy the interaction between Korra and Tenzin and how subtle (and sometimes not-so-subtle) it is. In other words, pure comedy gold.

It's nice how much world building goes on in the very first episode and how it really sucks you into the story. For those people who haven't seen the first series I can say that for the most part it'll be easy enough to hop into Legend of Korra without knowing anything about the first series, although there are occasional references which might fly over your heads (and thus those who have seen the first series will get more out of it). Still, you'll get the hang of the characters, the setting, the central conflict and so on as they're slowly introduced to you.

All in all the episode left a good taste in my mouth, and I look forward to watching the following episodes. The show has a lot of potential to be as good as the first Avatar series (which had its share of flaws, but still...), and it'll definitely be one of the big animation events this year.
    Last edited by Kossage; 03-18-2012 at 06:37 PM.
    How I met your mother, Donald Duck's parents style! Love at first temper tantrum!

Facebook | Last.fm | LiveJournal | MyAnimeList | tGAWiki

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Yeah I just watched the leaked first episode. It was good. The animation is great! It didn't start off with a bang though, it was odd to see old katara o.o

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Has anyone caught the first two episodes? I really like them, especially the second one I wonder if we have to wait until like a week after April 14th for the third ep.

Both eps were quite nice. I really like the chemistry between Korra and Tenzin, and their VAs do a good job fleshing them out as characters. Track Team's music is already surpassing pretty much everything the team composed for the first Avatar series, and I like how the music's taking (accidental?) inspiration from James Newton Howard's beautiful music from The Last Airbender film.
    How I met your mother, Donald Duck's parents style! Love at first temper tantrum!

Facebook | Last.fm | LiveJournal | MyAnimeList | tGAWiki

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Oh man I was about to comment on that. The music is gorgeous in this show! I just finished episode two and I was thinking that. Who does the music? I MUST KNOW.

Last edited by Freya; 03-26-2012 at 10:57 PM.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I'm going to give it a try since I loved the the first show but all the previews don't give me much hope or enthusiasm.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

I finally found out that the episodes were leaked and I saw them and I am in love. I missed this show so much, it is so damn funny. I can't wait to see more!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I love the youngest Airbender kid. Meelo, the gif I posted, He's so weird xD I love him! MORE GIFS!

Last edited by Freya; 03-30-2012 at 06:02 AM.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

obv i like it
    when's the next one coming out?

koss, you're so right, this music is amazing

FFXIV Character

The first episode hasn't even been officially released. I think it comes out April 14 or something like that.

I like most of the character design, but I feel like the fire bender from the Fire Ferretts(sp?) is just, I don't know... I feel like they could have done a better job drawing/designing his character. :C I thought that all of the triad benders had much more clever designs than his.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

But he's so hotttttttt Ed! :3

Blog Entries

THe first episode was brilliant, I loved the fighting style movements. The second episode was good too, but not as good as the first episode, though im not really a fan of the bending style used in Pro Bending, though i think thats the point, modern fighting techniques while not as pretty get the job done.

Also I hate how they;ve stopped calling it avatar because of james cameron
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

FFXIV Character

He's plain boring 'hot'. It's the kind of 'hot' you expect to see in a horrible fan fiction written by a 12 year old girl.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    THe first episode was brilliant, I loved the fighting style movements. The second episode was good too, but not as good as the first episode, though im not really a fan of the bending style used in Pro Bending, though i think thats the point, modern fighting techniques while not as pretty get the job done.

Also I hate how they;ve stopped calling it avatar because of james cameron
    What? Where'd you hear that?