Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of Final Fantasy do you want FFXV to be?

Chocobo What kind of Final Fantasy do you want FFXV to be?

What I mean by that is do you guys want it to be futuristic like FFXIII, or medieval like FFIX? I would personally like to see them make FFXV a medieval game, mostly because I like the art styles of the FF games set in those time periods. Plus, it allows the stories to have more magical elements. I'd want it to either have the art style of IX or XII, but I'd prefer XI. So what do you guys think?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I definitely prefer a medieval fantasy setting like FFIX. I wouldn't mind a futuristic setting like FFVII, but I for sure do not want another setting like FFX. I don't even know how do describe that one. Tribal? Something in the middle like FFXII was would also be good.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I am OK with anything, i just want a real "world map", maybe something similar to what VS XIII suppose to have and everything blend together very well without sacrificing the diversity or pacing.

BTW, what do you like about medieval like 9/11/12/14 ?

I just think that the titles of the games go along better with a medieval setting, but mostly because in my opinion, the FF games with medieval settings have better characters and stories, and FFIX is a prime example of this.

I want XV to be medieval but more importantly, I want XV to focus on in-depth battle mechanics and the return of the job class system would also be cool.
    Lamia's Tiara- Headgear in FFIX
    Lamia's Flute- Weapon for Eiko in FFIX
    Lamia in FFV- a enemy
    appearance: a lady with long brown hair, wearing a tiara...half woman and half snake.
    Lamia in FF3j- A Harp
    Lamia in FFL2- An enemy
    FF2j Queen Lamia, at one point she even gets Frionel in a bedroom with her and jumps on the bed and says "take me!".. before she turns into her snakey self. She serves as a mini boss in this game (as Queen Lamia).. and after you fight her as a mini boss, regular lamia's become random foes and later on in the game, Queen Lamia's become random foes as well.
    LamiaScl. an item that paralyzes foes.
    According to legend, she was once a Libyan queen (or princess) who fell in love with Zeus. Zeus' jealous wife Hera deformed her into a monster and murdered their offspring. She also made Lamia unable to close her eyes, so that she couldn't find any rest from the obsessing image of her dead children. When Zeus saw what had be done to Lamia, he felt pity for her and gave his former lover a gift: she could remove her eyes, and then put them on again. This way, though sleepless, she could rest from her misfortune. Lamia envied other the other mothers and took her vengeance by stealing their children and devouring them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamia View Post
    I want XV to be medieval but more importantly, I want XV to focus on in-depth battle mechanics and the return of the job class system would also be cool.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Just for clarification: by FFIX, you mean the sort of fairy-tale influenced medieval setting (that's what it always struck me as)? Or something closer to a Tolkienian setting, like the first games? I wouldn't mind either personally.

(And, hey, the Tribal setting of FFX was one of the things I liked most about that game! Not that I want it to come back mind you)
    Returners Represent!

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

I'd like XV to be like a good Final Fantasy game. Something like III, IV, V, IX or XII, any of those settings and styles would be good.

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

My dream FF game (hell, my dream game at all):

FFV's Job system, complete with two dozen jobs, the ability to switch jobs at will, and sub-job carry-over abilities. Include a huge weapon roster in which different weapons have distinct pluses and minuses (to avoid the boring 'buy new weapons that have higher stats for each character at new town shop').

FFXII's party travel, including enemy encounter mechanics. Keep everything brisk, that's what I say. Dungeon design should also follow after XII. They can change it up to make it more interesting or add whatever kind of wrinkles that benefit the game, but I want to see long, engaging stages that make me feel like I'm working hard to get my party through. Also, use XII's more 'mature' style and its world-building.

Combat can be like XII's or totally menu-driven and turn-based all within the exploration environment. No transitions, no lining up, nothing. Touch an enemy, your characters draw weapons and a menu pops up. Sorta like Chrono Trigger. The menu-driven style would probably be counter-intuitive paired up with XII's style of exploration, but I imagine a really smart designer (Matsuno) could come up with something great.

Setting-wise... maybe something along the lines of VI. Steampunk-y, industrial revolution-y. It'd be a good excuse to believably diversify weapons, gun powder-based weapons on top of traditional melee swords and axes, etc.

Story-wise, I think VI's structure works well. No heavy-handed plot, more just an epic backstory on which all the characters and NPCs own stories can be built.

In conclusion, the perfect FF is V+VI+XII.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Give me a 1950s Final Fantasy with a great plot and a job system. Well actually it's been so long since we've had a character class locked based one so let's have one of those instead.

If it does go with the Job system then please give me a vs mode.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

DM, have you ever played the Shadow Hearts series?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Firstly, a job system. But a relatively fixed one. There are so many jobs to pick from, but each character gets to pick one (or two, or three) roles they can use and they must use them for the rest of the game. This makes for incredible amounts of replayability.

Secondly, a distinct lack of time travel. I hate time travel in video games.

Thirdly, at least one character that isn't a humanoid. None of this Fran business. I'm talking Red XIII. Hell, maybe a humanoid that is of absurd size, but not "It's not a human, honest, it may move like a human, be the same height as a human, have the same general body proportions as a human but BUNNY EARS!!! Not human!" I'd like for a tiny character. Even a fairy would be cool, a la Tinkerbell. Basically, these kind of characters are not only unique in their appearance, but also are unique in what you can do with them gameplay-wise.

Finally, a good, solid, thought-out storyline. With a good touch of comedy.

ALTERNATIVE ANSWER: If you have seen FFXIII-2's Sunleth Waterscape Paradox Ending, I want that as a Final Fantasy main numbered game. Obviously not the exact same characters, but a concept along that kind of line would be amazing. Who makes games like that anymore on a AAA scale? Nobody I can think of! Do it, SE! Surprise us! A JRPG with no humans or humanoid creatures would be so, so, so much fun.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

A good one.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by fierytempest View Post
    No, but I remember going in to buy I think the sequel some years ago at EBGames and it was supposed to come with the first one and I sorted wanted both and I recall the guy at the counter telling me "You should've preordered it".
    Last edited by Depression Moon; 03-20-2012 at 06:12 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fierytempest View Post
    No, but I remember going in to buy one some years ago at EBGames and the guy told me "You should've preordered it".
    I don't like the first one much, but I love the second and third. It has a historical setting: The second one takes place during WWI. One your your playable characters is actually Anastasia Romanov. The third one takes place in 1929, I think.

You should look into them.