Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you get in mild legal trouble over this?

Default Can you get in mild legal trouble over this?

Okay, yesterday me and a friend of mine were at Super Wal-Mart. We wanted to check the price of this one shirt, but couldn't get the price scanner to work. I suggested that we ask someone working there to check if the scanner was functioning properly. My friend, though, said that we shouldn't do that because if it turns out the scanner wasn't broken, we could be given a small fine of $20-$50 for wasting their time. He said that alerting personnel of a nonexistent problem (Even if your intentions are good) is considered a Class E misdemeanor, and that many stores and restaurants have such policies in place to deter people from wasting the staff's time by reporting problems when there are none to be found.

I was curious, just how long have policies like this been around? I've never heard of this type of rule before yesterday.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Sounds like bulltrout

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by rubah View Post
    Sounds like bulltit
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Super Wal-Mart

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
    He said that alerting personnel of a nonexistent problem (Even if your intentions are good) is considered a Class E misdemeanor, and that many stores and restaurants have such policies in place to deter people from wasting the staff's time by reporting problems when there are none to be found.
    Last I checked stores don't make laws. Maybe there's some sort of idiotic by-law in your area about it, but I'd say smurf it and ask anyway. Let them try to fine you for asking a simple question. Frankly, I doubt any store employee would be enough of an asshole to waste their time trying to get $50 out of you that they'll never see even if your friends story were true, which frankly, it probably isn't. More likely your friend is either messing with you or they're the most gullible person alive and you should try exploiting them for money.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Your friend is a moron for suggesting something like that exists. Of course it doesn't, so you should be good to ask an employee anything that concerns you. They are there to help customers when a problem arises.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Okay, yesterday me and a friend of mine were at Super Wal-Mart. We wanted to check the price of this one shirt, but couldn't get the price scanner to work. I suggested that we ask someone working there to check if the scanner was functioning properly. My friend, though, said that we shouldn't do that because if it turns out the scanner wasn't broken, we could be given a small fine of $20-$50 for wasting their time. He said that alerting personnel of a nonexistent problem (Even if your intentions are good) is considered a Class E misdemeanor, and that many stores and restaurants have such policies in place to deter people from wasting the staff's time by reporting problems when there are none to be found.

I was curious, just how long have policies like this been around? I've never heard of this type of rule before yesterday.
    Broski, I've been in retail for ten years, including good long stints at Target, Kmart, and other "big box" stores, and I have never in my life heard of anything like this. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by fierytempest View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rubah View Post
    Sounds like bulltit

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think if such things were real, many people wouldn't hate their retail jobs.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

i want to punch your friend for making me facepalm so hard.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Getting in legal trouble for asking how much a shirt costs? Are you seriously asking us this?
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It wasn't because he was asking how much the shirt cost, but that the scanner wasn't functioning properly.

Honestly, they probably want to know what so they can get it fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Your friend was lying. The policies of most major retailers encourage customers to ask workers about stupid trout.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Okay, we all agree that "law" is non-existent, and I also have no idea how that person got the idea it was a law.

I must admit, as someone who spent many years in middle management retail hell, it sounds nice.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

He said that alerting personnel of a nonexistent problem (Even if your intentions are good) is considered a Class E misdemeanor, and that many stores and restaurants have such policies in place to deter people from wasting the staff's time by reporting problems when there are none to be found.
    1. Store policies do no create laws.

2. Stores cannot make you pay for anything unless you actually cost them money. Asking employees for help, when such help is part of their job, is not costing them money.

3. Your friend may have been confusing that situation with one where a customer falsely claims something is wrong with a product in order to extort money from the company (e.g., "there's a finger in my chili!"). That is, in fact, illegal. And also nothing like your situation.