Eureka seveN - Storywriter - YouTube

gurren lagann
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVb8nKj6iYo

gundam unicorn
    Gundam Unicorn OST | Track 2 | Unicorn

i think my enjoyment of the genre started with this though:

general daimos
    General Daimos - YouTube

if bleys was here he'd start talking about gundams and char and everyone would sigh and leave the thread. what's your favorite mecha? what's your favorite mecha show?

Eureka Seven and Gurren Lagann are fine shows albeit for different reasons. The "Your wings are beautiful" bit always gets me in E7, as do the eps in GL (not only the battles but the conclusion of several emotional subplots).

I've also enjoyed Vision of Escaflowne (kickass OST and an interesting, bittersweet story), Neon Genesis Evangelion (gotta love it subverting the usual mecha formula) and of course RahXephon (yet another heartwrenching story).

I can't really choose a favourite out of all of these, though. All have their pros and cons so I'd rather simply list 'em all.
    How I met your mother, Donald Duck's parents style! Love at first temper tantrum!

Facebook | Last.fm | LiveJournal | MyAnimeList | tGAWiki

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Tengen Topaa Gurren Lagann is truly a very good show., no arguing that point.

Much better than say, Vandread.

I also like the one about Van of the dawn.

I will never watch linebarrels of iron again.

besides TTGL, my favorite mecha anime would have to be Xamd
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Gundam Wing, and Full Metal Panic(!)

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

I'm a fan of the vastly underated Big O. That show got no where near the love it deserved.

But yeah, Gurren lagen is just so over the top and ridiculous it's hard not to love it.

Evangelion, also great, though it has some serious pacing issues. I'm loving the Rebuilds, though I'm almost wondering if it's going to get scrapped given how long these things are taking to come out. It saddens me because they are some of the only thing's I've bought on BluRay.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Does Magic Knight Rayearth count as a mecha anime?

If so, that's the only one I've ever really liked. Mecha anime in general (stuff like Gundam Wing, Escaflowne, Big O) has just never been my thing.

I tried, I mean REALLY tried to like Neon Genesis Evangelion...but it's only redeeming factor is that the director was a huge troll to all the fans with the ending.

I liked how he redeemed himself by (SPOILER)killing off every one of his annoying characters in End of Evangelion though.
    I like Kung-Fu.

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Mecha anime is Japanese Animation at its purest IMO. I doubt I'd be as into it if it weren't for the 'bots.

I don't know if I'd be able to narrow it down to favourites either. Gurren-Lagann, Eureka 7 and Xam'd are definitely strong recent entries. RahXephon is probably one of my all-time favourites. Another all-time favourite, SDF Macross: Do You Remember Love, is getting a Blu-Ray release in Japan soon so I'm excited about that. The entire Patlabor series is pretty great too. I could go on.

One of my favourite things about mecha anime are the video games. I don't care about most of the Gundam shows, but put them together in a game like Gundam Extreme Vs and it's the best thing ever. Then, mash up a bunch of different mecha shows--old and new--in something like Super Robot Wars and you have a mecha fan's gaming dream.

The latest Super Robot Wars game comes out for PSP (in Japan) next month. They just put out another trailer for it the other day, 13 minutes.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuoqB...layer_embedded
    Gurren-Lagann, Armored Trooper Votoms, Tetsujin 28 (Gigantor)... and those are just the 'new' guys to the series. Others include Big O, Eureka 7, Getter, Mazinger, Macross...seriously check it out.