Thread: I'm way too good for that....

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Default I'm way too good for that....

As we all know FFT is, much like any single player game, not exactly perfectly balanced. We also know that most FFT fans have played the game a fair number of times.

So the question is, do you ever take it upon yourself to institute a handicap? Are there some skills/classes/characters/items that you always prohibit yourself from using? Have you gradually progressed to a specific set of 'rules' you use? Do you make new ones up for every playthrough?
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'll use Tactics A2 as my example, seeing as it's the one I've beaten about five bajillion times.
    That game is definitely known for it's retarded AI and broken skills.
    >I prohibit myself from using either the "reflex" skill or "strike back", because the AI in that game seem to only know how to use the basic attack... which those move counter
    >I also never use dual-wield anymore, because it's no fun.
    >Also... I sometimes restrict double-cast to just my healers or summoners.
    You know a game is broken when one character can solo near everything
    (dual-wielding, magic frenzy casting, paladin with the best armor and swords in the game equipped, I'm looking at you)
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I write my own stories in DnD campaigns and such. For me to play a game isn't always necessary these days but...
    http://www.youtube.com/Greatermaxim

Terra..................Fight
    LV99...................Morph
    HP9999................All Magic
    MP999.................Item

Vigor 45................R-Hand: Illumina
    Speed 90..............L-Hand: Genji Shield
    Stamina 40...........Helmet: Oath Veil
    Magic Pwr 110......Armor: Minerva
    Bat Pwr 255
    Defense 216.........Relic: Ribbon
    Evade 75
    Magic D 184.........Relic: Economizer
    Magic B 87

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Two obvious ones that I often use are no Math skill and no Orlandu. I dislike using the Math skill because I prefer playing with unique, specialized characters, and with Calculators it's too easy to make everyone the same (as well as ridiculously powerful). Not using Orlandu is just as much about my preference for generics as it is about him being crazy powerful.

Though really, those "handicaps" have more to do with my play style than with trying to make the game harder. I'm personally not big on self-made handicaps.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I usually avoid using story characters, Excalibur, Math Skills, Guts, and the Ninja class. I also tend to make it a point to use some of the overlooked classes like Geomancer, Oracle, Bard, Dancer, and Mediator with my party build.

Contributions

I have gone the path of successively imposing more and more rules on myself.

1st Edition:
    No special characters (except useless ones like Mustado, Rafa and Malak, but I often don't take them anyways)

2nd Edition:
    No Calculators

3rd Edition:
    Only buy-able items. I did recant on this and allow Knights to use knight swords. The class is weak in comparison to the other classes, and gets totally hosed on the choice of end game buy-able equipment. I feel this balances things out, even if the Knight swords are a little bit OP in Ramza's hands.

4th Edition:
    No raising brave, no using blade-grasp except on Samurai, no attacking unarmed except for monks

Future 5th Edition:
    No Holy, no ninjas (though I do try to limit my party to one), no draw out on useful mage classes. Possible additions.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

I tend to ignore Math Skill most of the time, except in that battle when I try to steal Genji things from Elmdor.
    I think that battle is so unfair that I have the right to use my best available characters and abilities.

By the way, here is a hint on an extremely powerful character:
    a Samurai with Item, Counter, Two Swords, Move+3 and dual Blood Swords.
    I sincerely believe that a party of five such characters would own anything in the whole game.

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions

I never impose handicaps on myself. After the first playthrough in which I blundered and messed around with different approaches, but now I always employ every advantage at my disposal. The way I see it is my reward for plowing through the game the hard way. Especially when I went for a 'perfect' game, with every item, spell, and ability for every party member.