View Poll Results: When a fighting game has both English and Japanese voices, which option do you pick?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • English voices

1 7.69%
  • Japanese voices

3 23.08%
  • Depends on the game

6 46.15%
  • Other or no personal preference

3 23.08%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: English voices in fighting games

Default English voices in fighting games

These days, pretty much all Japanese-created fighting games have dual English/Japanese voice options. However, back in the day, the only two fighting game franchises to have this feature were Tekken and Soul Calibur, both created by Namco. While the very first Street Fighter game had an English dub, which let the characters call their attacks by their English names, the western localizations of all subsequent games left the voices in Japanese, up until Street Fighter IV, when Capcom finally decided to implement this feature into its game, taking a page out of Namco's book, though certain characters, particularly those from Asia, still use Japanese names for certain special moves amidst otherwise English dialogue. Also, while the original Dead or Alive 2 did not feature English voices, the Ultimate edition did, but Tecmo would not implement this feature into the series again (excluding the Xtreme side series) until Dead or Alive: Dimensions, and the upcoming Dead or Alive 5 will also have English voices. Since then, all other fighting games by all other companies have began implementing English voices into their games full time, along with subtitles for introduction and victory quotes, but also allow the player to switch back and forth between English and Japanese voices, as well.

Whenever I played all those earlier fighting games with Japanese voices (excluding Tekken and Soul Calibur, since they already had full-time English voices for a while), I always wondered exactly what they were saying, since I don't understand Japanese (and I'm pretty sure that a lot of you on this forum don't, either). When I started playing Street Fighter IV with the new English voice option, at first, it sounded a little strange, since apparently we've gotten so used to the Japanese voices for so long, but I understood it better, and over time, I actually began to like it. Nowadays, whenever I get a new fighting game that allows me to decide between English and Japanese voices (which pretty much all recent fighting games feature), I always set the voices to English. Of course, some of you will stick to Japanese voices, because the addition of subtitles has eliminated the problem of not understanding what the characters are saying, at least in their introductions and victory quotes. However, battle quotes during actual gameplay matches are not subtitled, so you still wouldn't understand what they are saying during gameplay (a lot of you will tell me that it doesn't matter, since the action itself is most important, but still, you should get my point).

With all of that said, whenever you play a fighting game, if it has the option of allowing you to decide between English and Japanese voices, which one do you prefer? And if you had to play with English voices, which voices from which games do you like, and which do you dislike? Also, what are your favorite quotes from certain characters from certain games? Let's talk about it here.
    Is that your final answer?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Depends, if the acting and translation is good, absolutely. If not, no. If it's a game in which everyone speaks their proper language, absolutely.

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

Yeah I wouldn't mind a game where everyone speaks their own language. That being said, if I had to make the choice, I'd pick Japanese mostly because the whole SHOUTING OUT THE NAME OF MY MOVE WHEN I DO IT thing has always seemed daft to me, and seeing as I can't understand most of what they're saying in Japanese I can just ignore it.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> English for me, Japanese voices get old quickly..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I like the characters using the language from the area they're supposed to be from.

I like how Abel uses some French for example. I wish Dhalsim spoke Hindi. I suppose speaking English works for a man from Calcutta, but if there were someone from India who only spoke Hindi, I'd bet it was the creepy looking yoga master. /ramble

I know, you're right; everyone should speak their native language, wherever they're from. For that reason, they should add a third voice language option called "Native."

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I usually prefer Japanese, simply because most fighting games have ridiculous dialogue and the English VA talent isn't always the best for them. My usual stance whenever I play a Soul Calibur game is to always start the game by going to options, switching the voices to Japanese, and then muting the awful soundtrack. Though SCV caused some problems with this set-up because I love Ezio's English VA...

Twisted Reality Shattered Dreamer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In Tekken 6 I'm pretty sure the characters all speak their native languages. On the topic of English voices in beat em ups, in Street Fighter IV the voice for Ken is the same voice actor as Dante from DMC & it just doesn't suit the character :/

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Ideally, fighting game characters should speak their actual language, but this requires voice actors who can speak a multitude of different languages, and is not always a realistic option for the developers. An all right compromise would be to let you mix and match language settings on a per-character basis. That way, you would be able to give for example english voices to european characters, and japanese voices to asian characters. Of course, most of europe does not speak english, and most of asia does not speak japanese, but it's still an improvement!

Also, it would be cool if, in the case of a dual language game, characters had perhaps one or two lines in their native languages.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Depends! I like Taokaka's English voice because of her funny sayings. Guile and Cammy in English makes much more sense to me than their Japanese engrish counterparts. Ryu however sounds much more natural in his Japanese voice than English. So it depends on the character.

I also do Ken's voice in American because i met and spent an afternoon with the VA in an AnimeCon...i know its not the best they could have done for Ken but I love that guy X3

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

Twisted Reality Shattered Dreamer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lionx View Post
    I also do Ken's voice in American because i met and spent an afternoon with the VA in an AnimeCon...i know its not the best they could have done for Ken but I love that guy X3
    You met the voice of Dante from DMC? Cool!

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

For me it depends on the game, and sometimes even depends on the character.

There is a character in Soul Calibur III (he's in all of the games, but this is the only time this was a problem) who is basically portrayed as a calm and collected samurai, and his English voice (very calm and unfazed) is perfect for this, but his actual Japanese voice (shouty and over excited) isn't.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

How do you know he's supposed to be calm and collected? His actions don't always reflect that,
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Shattered Dreamer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionx View Post
    You met the voice of Dante from DMC? Cool!
    Yeah! Reuben Langdon is really awesome, always upbeat and willing to talk to you about anything for the most part. Very insightful and cultural person, and tried to speak to me in Chinese too (i am Chinese). He also did the mo-cap for RE5's Chris Redfield and stuff...if you can you should follow him on Facebook and meet him someday at a con, he is really really awesome! Super nice guy!

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Ideally, fighting game characters should speak their actual language, but this requires voice actors who can speak a multitude of different languages, and is not always a realistic option for the developers. An all right compromise would be to let you mix and match language settings on a per-character basis. That way, you would be able to give for example english voices to european characters, and japanese voices to asian characters. Of course, most of europe does not speak english, and most of asia does not speak japanese, but it's still an improvement!

Also, it would be cool if, in the case of a dual language game, characters had perhaps one or two lines in their native languages.
    To further tie into your statement, European characters should speak with British accents, and I think that the Soul Calibur games need to start adding British accents to their European characters.

It would certainly be cool for all characters to speak with their native languages, but also keep in mind that English has multiple different accents, depending on which region of the world a character hails from. American/Canadian characters should have American/Canadian accents, and British/Australian characters should have British/Australian accents.