Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: May the odds ever be in your favour!

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Wow, that's really disgusting, krissy.

Especially since it's pretty obvious that Rue is black.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hunger Games isn't a children's book, it's young adult. You can determine for yourself how you define young adult. I'd define it as 13-18.

I loved the first two books in the Hunger Games trilogy. Kinda hated the third.

I went into the movie with mild expectations. I could see it going wrong a million different ways. But I ended up being SO entertained. Were there things to nitpick? Sure.

Gale and Peeta were terrible. Especially opposite Jennifer Lawrence who killed it as Katniss. Their deficiency was so much more pronounced opposite her.

I also thought the pacing was really weird. Too much time spent pre-game, and the game itself felt so rushed. I also wish they had kept certain aspects of Katniss' personality in place. Particularly her calculating, survivalist nature, and her trust issues. At the end of the book, (SPOILER)when they realize that there can only be one victor, Katniss points her arrow directly at Peeta's heart, thinking he's going to take her out. This was such a crucial moment to show just how surviving is the number one priority for her. That above everything, her primary motivation is to survive for her sister, and that's where her real allegiance lies, not with one boy or another. They didn't really make it clear in the movie that Katniss made calculating moves (ie: kissing Peeta) in order to survive. They just sorta hinted at it. Something as simple as letting go of Peeta's hand when the public wasn't watching would have shown a little bit of that. The movie made it seem like she really was falling for Peeta Bread.

Things I loved:

How freakin' awesome was the supporting cast?? I thought Effie and Haymitch were perfect. And Caesar Flickerman was a highlight of the movie for me. He was so freakin' hysterical and spot on. I also though Rue was so adorable. She really was like a little angel.

And Jennifer Lawrence was extraordinary. The movie wouldn't have been half as good if it weren't for her. She carried the entire thing on her shoulders. She may not LOOK like how Katniss is supposed to look (her body is seriously SMOKING hot), but I can't imagine any other actress being as great a Katniss as she was. She was really really good.
    Last edited by Miriel; 03-26-2012 at 11:16 PM.

Blog Entries

I found it awkward when the white girl won over the black girl's affections by giving her chicken. Or atleast what looked like chicken

The movie made it seem like she really was falling for Peeta Bread.
    I hadnt read the book and it didnt seem that way to me. There were enough subtle hints like the way she sort of looked at a camera before she did anything intimate with Peeta
    Last edited by blackmage_nuke; 03-27-2012 at 12:55 AM.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    I found it awkward when the white girl won over the black girl's affections by giving her chicken. Or atleast what looked like chicken
    Squirrel if I'm not mistaken.

Also, thank you Krissy for giving me my daily dose of disgust with the human race. The zombie apocalypse can't come fast enough.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

A friend of mine said it best on FB in response to that story: "I'm not sure what makes me sadder, this is happening or that this does not surprise me anymore."

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The movie was filmed near me. Yay.

I am going to read the book and then see the movie when it goes to the cheap theater if someone will go with me.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'll go with you, Megan. :3

Also, it's a game bird.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

yeah katniss carried that movie

and yeah WTF was with the camera in the intro scenes
    i get it
    it's a stressed out place
    stop trying to make me puke

8/10
    book was better but i'll always imagine katniss as jennifer now

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I just saw it. Very violent for a YA novel. o.o It was pretty good. Yeah I got the whole, she did it for the camera/to win. 'Specially when she got the whole "You call that a Kiss" note with the soup. My mom didn't like it cause it was kids killing each other.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Freya: The books are a lot more graphic. They toned down the blood and gore to get a PG-13 rating.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Yeah so if htey had to do that in a movie, how are they Young Adult novels? O_O

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Because if a book is about teenagers, then it MUST be FOR teenagers.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I think you are seriously underestimating the content most young teenagers are exposed to (has it really been so long?). A book being considered YA does not necessarily mean family-friendly, no-blood-and-guts G-rated. It has to do with the main characters being relatable to a younger audience as well as an easy-to-read writing style (as in, not a tome about quantum physics like Neal Stephenson's Anathem, which has nothing in the way of gore or sex but not something I would consider YA-appropriate). It is not the same as "childish" or any other derogatory label, and the mere presence of gore does not exclude a book from being appropriate for kids. I have not read the books, but my then-12-year-old sister read and enjoyed them, and she doesn't read anything (a horribly depressing fact to both me and our mother), which is proof enough to me that the books are YA-friendly.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Pretentious Wesley is being pretentious again.

Books don't have a rating system like Movies, Music, and Games do but the fact that they had to omit a lot of the original content to fit a pg-13 rating for the movie should say something about what content was in the book. As far as I know, aren't YA books targeted at 13-18 yr olds? If it wouldn't have fit into a PG-13 rating and been bumped up to an M rating, what does that say about the content of the book? Sure a kid can read it and enjoy it but should they? I was reading far worse novels at 13 than adults read now. Gore, Sex, etc, I was always shifty eyed when reading it in school. But just because you can do something doesn't mean it's appropriate.

Maybe the writing is written in a more simple form for young readers or something. I don't know, I haven't read the books. Just curious how they fall into the YA category if they are filled with so much more mature content.