Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy VI Beginner here!

Default Final Fantasy VI Beginner here!

Hey guys, I'm posting here because I've recently acquired Final Fantasy VI through the PSN network on my PSP a couple days ago and came here to comment what a fantastic game this is! Ever since I've played Dissidia and Dissidia 012, I've been on a quest to go "old-school" and track down the older games, including VII-VIII. They have piqued curiosity. Also the characters Terra and Kefka really caught my attention! You have no idea how much playing a legendary game such as VI has done to me! I simply can't put it down! I've only played IX, X, and X-2 and while I enjoyed those games, I feel (with the exception of IX) they lack what I perceive to be mythological element you only see in the older games. I say this because when I was playing Dissidia the characters of the first six installments had this "medieval" feeling, if that makes any sense. They epitomize "fantasy", IMHO. Specifically Golbez, Ex-Death and Kefka and their respective opposing characters in terms of their clothing and respective settings and battle arenas. It's completely contrast to VII and VIII to some degree, the more recent games.

I'm not sure where am I in this game except that I'm in a place called Zuzu and trying to track down Terra. This game is a lot more difficult than the other installments I've played but any who, just thought I'd give my 2 cents. I can say without a doubt that Final Fantasy deserves all the recognition it gets. I also like the emulation of the (second) Industrial Revolution in the game. Hopefully I'll be around more in the future to discuss other installments.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Glad to see you are enjoying the best FF game ever made. You are correct in noticing that the earlier games have more of that typical fantasy feel to them, while the later installments lend to sci fi more and more.

Zozo is a tough place to be in, just remember that everyone lies! There is one dude who tells the truth, he's dressed like a merchant I believe.

Good luck, welcome, and be sure to share your thoughts

Blog Entries

You can hop between buildings like the guys on the towers
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Glad to see someone new is discovering the classics.

This game is a lot more difficult than the other installments I've played but
    How are you liking that? I say this because a lot of people regard FF6 as the point where FF games started getting much easier. I hope you are up to the challenge and start playing games even further back though! (Or FF7 which you haven't played yet. People are divided about how good it is, but I don't think there is any doubt that it is a very important game historically)
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Great news! I'm got out of of Zozo alive and was able to witness to one the most spectacular, beloved and popular scenes in Final Fantasy VI and the series in general: The famous opera scene with Celes in the opera "Maria and Draco". I don't know about you guys but I just found the entire thing fascinating. Sure I scewed it up a couple times but something about this scene encouraged me not to give up and keep trying till I go it right. It REALLY is something special.

Jiro, your comparison to the later installments of Final Fantasy feeling more like Science Fiction is spot on. I see nothing wrong with swaying from the formula but it's interesting to see the consistency of just the first six games, despite their differences, before VII comes a long.

How are you liking that? I say this because a lot of people regard FF6 as the point where FF games started getting much easier. I hope you are up to the challenge and start playing games even further back though! (Or FF7 which you haven't played yet. People are divided about how good it is, but I don't think there is any doubt that it is a very important game historically)
    In my case, it's the lack organization, lack of items and lack of strategy that throws me off. More importantly, the enemies can hit you while performing a specific attack. This aint Final Fantasy X. IX and X-2 weren't as annoying in that regard either. I'm not exactly new to the franchise or RPG games in general but I've always been a average player. I do plan on playing the other entries as well. Final Fantasy VII, regardless of how people feel about it, is something eventually I will have to look in. Indeed, it's a very historically important game, and not just to Final Fantasy. I can't skip out of it if I'm going to continue seeking out the older games. I plan on playing IV after I complete VI simply because both IV and this are regarded as being the more "in-depth" Final Fantasy games of the old school variant.

Thanks for the responses.

You should try Final Fantasy V too after you have finished VI (maybe IV too). The job system is fantastic.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

FF6 is just as much steampunk as it is medieval though, just saying.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Glad to see you're enjoying the game! I'm currently on my first playthrough as well (not far from the end). I agree that it is definitely a highlight of the series. I was blown away by the opera scene as well. I'm playing it on an old Gameboy Advance SP and it was still a remarkably powerful moment.

Here's a little hint: if you ever have the chance to put Shadow in your party (meaning you've hired him or he's in the party permanently), go stay at an Inn three or four times and see what happens.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Here's another hint.

Wait.
    You absolutely have to wait.

You'll know what I'm talking about when you get there. If you have to ask yourself "is this what he meant when he said wait, i'm not sure", that's not the thing I'm talking about. You will definitely know exactly when it is, and not have to wonder if it's the right part or not. You'll know it.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Oh yeah, definitely wait until there's only like ten seconds left. You have to wait.

Yes, wait.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think what everyone is trying to say is that you should wait

Default LOLz

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbaforever View Post
    I think what everyone is trying to say is that you should wait
    I can see that!

I got the airship last night and have Setzer in my party now. Freaking love his lines! The game's difficulty is becoming less annoying, and more "thrilling", just because there have been many occasions where I look like I'm on the brink of death during a boss fight, and my party comes through! Final Fantasy VI has me so looking forward to the other installments. But first, the completion of this game before I move on.

Always fun to read the reviews of a player's first FF6 experience. Glad your having a blast!