Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Failed Consoles

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Whoa, really, I never saw that considering I was twelve at the time. I hope it is just a rumor, but you never know. My real fear is the huge price tag they are going to put on it. I'm expecting the same as the original PS3 or even higher.

Edit:
    Back on topic...
    What was that handheld that came out before 2000 that had a backlit screen, I can't remember the name.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Cactuar View Post
    Whoa, really, I never saw that considering I was twelve at the time. I hope it is just a rumor, but you never know. My real fear is the huge price tag they are going to put on it. I'm expecting the same as the original PS3 or even higher.

Edit:
    Back on topic...
    What was that handheld that came out before 2000 that had a backlit screen, I can't remember the name.
    Game Gear? It had a backlight.

Bear in mind, said backlight killed the six AA batteries it took pretty fast.
    I like Kung-Fu.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Holy cow, it took six batteries? Geeze. I don't think that is the one I was thinking of, but it may very well be. I'm going to guess it was a bigger pain than it was worth?
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

lol@ 720

Traitors Can't Hide. Phoenix Rising's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    I've never met anybody who has or had a Gamecube. Just saying. I don't even know anyone who knows anyone with a Gamecube. I know it was apparently popular and all, but my anecdotal evidence which counts as pure science (tm) therefore decrees it as a failure.
    How could you not know anyone who owns or owned a GameCube? Everyone where I live owns one. It's definitely one of the best systems ever, right up there with Dreamcast.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

I can't believe no one mentioned the following. I didn't mention them earlier to give others a chance to chime in but now...

3DO
    Atari Jaguar
    Atari Lynx
    WonderSwan
    WonderSwan Color
    32x(technically an addon but it failed hard and led to even more sega mistrust)
    CD-i

All of these died quick horrible deaths. The CD-i did have Zelda though >.>

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm View Post
    The CD-i did have Zelda though
    This did not happen. EVER.

As much as I love it, unless Sony can pull their finger out and give me access to PSOne Classics then I'm going to say Playstation Vita.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Playstation 3.
    Damn, it took 8 post for that? I admire your restraint EoFF.

I remember being a kid and seeing ads for the Atari Jaguar in GamePro back when it was new and I wanted one so badly as a kid. I also wanted a Panasonic 3DO after playing Samurai Showdown at a local gamestore. I was way into fighting games as a kid and I loved that game, and I had it on SNES, but the 3DO version was like...a perfect replica of the arcade version. The SNES version just couldn't compare.

Looking back, both those consoles were terrible beyond belief. Thank god we were poor so I never even bothered to ask my family to waste money on those things.

Does anyone remember the Sega Nomad? It was a handheld that could play the Genesis cartridges. I thought that was awesome. I wanted one of those too, until my friend Nathan got one and showed me how the batteries died after 30 minutes...and no, I'm not exaggerating. A brand new set of batteries only got you 30 minutes of play on that thing. I decided my Gameboy was just fine after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm View Post
    I can't believe no one mentioned the following. I didn't mention them earlier to give others a chance to chime in but now...

3DO
    Atari Jaguar

Atari Lynx
    WonderSwan
    WonderSwan Color
    32x(technically an addon but it failed hard and led to even more sega mistrust)
    CD-i

All of these died quick horrible deaths. The CD-i did have Zelda though >.>

......>__>

There's also the Nokia N-Gage and the Apple Pippin.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

The next xbox not supporting used games is actually not a completely unfounded rumour. A MS employee's been going around saying he thinks it would be a good idea. Of course, that doesn't mean it's confirmed, just that it's not a rumour taken out of thin air.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Honestly, with the number of developers and publishers who've spoken out against used games I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft and Sony make an end run at stopping used sales. It'd have to be both of them though because if only one did it they'd have to abandon their plans when they realized it totally backfired.

Honestly, people railing against used games and saying they or the industry would benefit if they were gone haven't thought things through that thoroughly, or are trying to find a scapegoat for bad sales or play the victim for sympathy while they make obscene amounts of money.

Anyway, the Dreamcast will always be the best dead console. Of all of the consoles of its generation, it deserved to succeed more than the Gamecube or Xbox I think. Only problem was that Sega couldn't float the cash to keep it going despite their own idiocy. Something Nintendo has never really had a problem managing.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Rising View Post
    I've never met anybody who has or had a Gamecube. Just saying. I don't even know anyone who knows anyone with a Gamecube. I know it was apparently popular and all, but my anecdotal evidence which counts as pure science (tm) therefore decrees it as a failure.
    How could you not know anyone who owns or owned a GameCube? Everyone where I live owns one. It's definitely one of the best systems ever, right up there with Dreamcast.
    Aside of me and my friend Tim, I didn't know anyone else (offline) who owned a GameCube either. A lot of people had PS2 though, but even more people had an Xbox.

Where I lived at that time, everyone cared about HALO and nothing else. Man, they must all be in heaven now.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Blog Entries

Good one

there was a picture here

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Good one
    You're right. The Gamecube had absolutely nothing on the Dreamcast.

Except the gamecube got the port of Skies of Arcadia, pretty much making the dreamcast redundant anyway.