Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Failed Consoles

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You forgot Soul Calibur, Power Stone 1&2, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, and RE: Code Veronica (or at least it got those last two well before other consoles). I'm probably forgetting more too.

Didn't all those pretty much end up on other systems?

And Gamecube had Zelda: Windwaker and Ocarina of Time: Master Quest.

And the second Smash Brothers.

Both Baiten Kaitos games.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.

I believe Viewtiful Joe was an exclusive as well, but I might be wrong on that.

And you could get Megaman X Command Mission on gamecube, but that was also on PS2 so I'm not sure if it counts.

And Pikmin if you're into those games, but I wasn't so much.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post

You know, people will call me crazy, but I didn't care for pretty much any Nintendo made game on the Gamecube. They were like pale imitations of their N64 predecessors. Except Smash Bros. anyway. Melee was better, but I don't like the series honestly.

They were ported to the PS2.

Of the Dreamcast games Krissy and I mentioned, the only ones ported to other systems were Sonic Adventure, Skies of Arcadia, Ikaruga, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, and RE: Code Veronica. If I'm not mistaken the others were never ported, but sequels did make their way to other consoles.

Also, the Dreamcast had Seaman. You can't beat that on name alone.

And I always found Marvel Vs. Capcom to be over rated.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I have both a Dreamcast and a Gamecube. I have my Gamecube plugged up and ready to go, but my Dreamcast sits in storage.

Just my opinion.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
    I have both a Dreamcast and a Gamecube. I have my Gamecube plugged up and ready to go, but my Dreamcast sits in storage.

Just my opinion.
    But nobody owns more than one console! You're supposed to just choose one and follow it blindly like a cult! Stop it! Your kind is ruining video games!

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post

Just my opinion.
    But nobody owns more than one console! You're supposed to just choose one and follow it blindly like a cult! Stop it! Your kind is ruining video games!
    Does that make me satan then??
    I have:
    gameboy color
    gameboy advance
    gameboy sp
    ds
    gamecube
    wii
    -my parents bought all of those.

ps2
    ps3
    vita
    -I bought those

pong.
    -not sure who bought that.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

PONG?! Go to hell, heathen!

Misspelled for No Reason. GhandiOwnsYou's Avatar

I get sad when I think about failed consoles, because I genuinely liked several of them. Game Gear was heads and shoulders above what Nintendo was doing back in the day, and Dreamcast was ballin. If they had timed the release better I bet that system could have done pretty well in that generation, possibly have even taken the piss out of the x-box. I was irate when the 360 was kicking ass and taking names earlier this generation because of the blatant BS that microsoft kept pulling with proprietary gear. Want a new hard drive? Take this 3x as expensive, repackaged SATA drive with a little proprietary dongle on it! Why would you want to use any old Wifi adapter when you could buy one that says Xbox on it for twice as much!? Then all the RROD mess... I didn't buy a 360 til I got one used from a buddy for like $50. Still play every once in a while for exclusives, and MS seem to have cleaned up a lot of my previous complaints with the newer version.

As far as the PS3 being a "failed console" this generation though...
    Wii – 94.97 million as of 31 December 2011
    PlayStation 3 – 62 million as of 2 November 2011
    Xbox 360 – 65.8 million as of 12 January 2012

I'd even go so far as to put the 360 and PS3 on fairly even footing as of now. I know a lot of people who chunked their old 360 when the new ones came out for either the RROD issues, WiFi or bigger harddrives which would drive 360 sales up a bit. At least around here, I haven't seen anyone do the same for the PS3 slim. It's cheaper to just snag a laptop hard drive off NewEgg and swap it.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

The key point is that the PS3 cost Sony every single dollar they ever made from PS1 and PS2 and all their game sales. MS is of course also losing money on their xbox stuff, but MS is showing a slight positive trend, while Sony is showing a very strong negative trend. Furthermore, MS still has tons of money to pump into their next gen console, while Sony has been losing money in total for their entire corporation for the last several years.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

All of the Sony loss seems to be from everything other then the PS3 though.

If you look at companies, then yes, Sony is at a loss.

If you look just at the console, and revenue they made off games and accessories, the PS3 is actually a success.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

All I can say is that I used to be a contract employee (to pull telecommunications crap) for panasonic for many years/months/I forget (we had a lot of work there) and the manager there once mentioned the Panasonic 3DO - you remember that crap? 600$ console in a time period when that was unheard of and the games sucked. I was pretty young then but I remember the system wasn't THAT bad - just incredibly unaffordable for what you got out of it. IIRC the product bombed and Panasonic went back to making tvs or whatever it does (actually I don't even know what that place was - maybe a warehouse for other panasonic products)

In terms of consoles I owned - I do have the game cube (it's at home somewhere), and played with the virtual boy when it came out (in toys r us)

the virtual boy is such a failure that Intendo will not acknowledge it in its list of products. You might not remember but once upon a time there was a very well produced 'Nintendo products' demo leading to a new, fake product. What tipped people off was Intendo mentioned the Virtual Boy in its list of previous products leading up to the 'fake' new console.

I'll try to find the video when I go home.

Traitors Can't Hide. Phoenix Rising's Avatar

Both Baiten Kaitos games.

And you could get Megaman X Command Mission on gamecube, but that was also on PS2 so I'm not sure if it counts.

And Pikmin if you're into those games, but I wasn't so much.
    No love for the Metroid Primes? Or RE0, REmake, RE4? Or MGS Twin Snakes?
    Last edited by Phoenix Rising; 03-30-2012 at 01:56 AM.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

All of the Sony loss seems to be from everything other then the PS3 though.

If you look at companies, then yes, Sony is at a loss.

If you look just at the console, and revenue they made off games and accessories, the PS3 is actually a success.
    No. Sony's gaming division has lost as much money as it earned by PS1 and PS2 combined, because they spent so much money keeping the PS3 alive. They haven't earned a single dollar on the PS3. The PS3 has made them lose everything they earned from everything game related before the PS3 launch.

If you add together PS3 development costs, production costs, console sales, console accessory sales, and royalties from all games sold, you get a negative value that is as big as the amount of money they made from everything related to PS1 and PS2.

And that's why i jokingly called PS3 a failed console. It's also the only current gen console I have .

http://i55.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/95wwi1.png

Here's a graph for it, btw :>. It was attached to an article that was well sourced, but I can't be assed to link to it, you'll just have to take my word for it. After all, why would I spread terrible lies about the only console I have?
    Last edited by Mirage; 03-30-2012 at 04:12 AM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

That makes no sense though...why do that?
    I like Kung-Fu.