Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Default Terra

We know Terra is taken by the Empire as a baby. We know she has Esper blood, hence her natural magical ability. We know that when she arrives in Narshe, she is wearing a Slave Crown after having fried a bunch of Imperial Soldiers.

My question is: why?

If we look at Celes, she was raised by Cid in a de facto Grandfather/Granddaughter relationship due to her involvement in MagiTek knight training. Celes is loyal as smurf to the Empire until Kefka steps into the picture, no? Here, we see the catalyst that makes her doubt her loyalty and side with the Returners - or more importantly, fight against the Empire.

Where is Terra's catalyst, and what is it? We know that she wears the slave crown after an incident, but why was there an incident? One would think that after a lifetime of indoctrination, Terra would have been just as loyal to the Empire as Celes is/was.

So why the difference?

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

They didn't want to risk losing control of her. Also, she would be a more effective weapon, which is how the Empire looked at her at the end of the day.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Considering he childhood probably consisted of being research specimen I doubt that she would have had all that much loyalty. Celes on the other hand was more of a 'finished product' so they would have been much more concerned with loyalty.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    They didn't want to risk losing control of her. Also, she would be a more effective weapon, which is how the Empire looked at her at the end of the day.
    And unlike Celes, Terra didn't have any "parental" figures so to speak, or at least anybody in general as a source of comfort or support. As you nicely stated, she's just a tool. It could explain why she seems emotionless and just there at the beginning of the game.....At least before she discovers her roots. There's also the inability to control her powers, hence why may have not been successfully brainwashed.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

From what I can remember and then speculate on, it seems like Kefka was in charge of the MagiTek soldiers part of things. Cid oversaw the extraction of magic and the imbuing of them with powers, but Kefka made them into soldiers. I guess, in that case, Terra would have only had Kefka as an authority figure and so I guess I can see why she was a little smurfed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    From what I can remember and then speculate on, it seems like Kefka was in charge of the MagiTek soldiers part of things. Cid oversaw the extraction of magic and the imbuing of them with powers, but Kefka made them into soldiers. I guess, in that case, Terra would have only had Kefka as an authority figure and so I guess I can see why she was a little smurfed up.
    LOL, anybody who is heavely influenced or has deeply, personal ties (like Terra) to Kefka might be a tad bit :freak: in the head.

I imagine the slave crown was needed because Terra simply couldn't control her powers. Remember how the Espers that fly out of the Sealed Gate mention that they lost all control of themselves when they left the Esper World and the balancing power of the Statues? Terra even mentions at that point that the same thing happened to her, so it's safe to assume that without the Slave Crown, she would run amok at the slightest provocation, like she did when she came into contact with Tritoch. It's only after she understands her own powers, and no longer fears them that she is able to control them.
    Currently writing a massive prequel to FFVI. Starts thousands of years before the game begins with the birth of magic, and chronicles the entire history of the FFVI world. Check it out!

Final Fantasy VI - The Sands of Time

Fiction's Upper Limit Lore (FULL)

>>> Avoiding your common set-up.

I'd have to judge that mind-control and being raised by the enemy since birth is common to uncommon, not rare.

The details of what happens to Terra during the events of the game is up to the fans. The owners, designer's, and other memebers of the creative team have the final word on what's canon.

As you know an expedition by Gesthal retrieved Espers from behind a sealed gate. Chances are this is already public knowledge. Or at least anyone in the military would know about this and the empire's magic powers.

I'm pretty sure the world remembers the war of magi. Once Terra grows up to learn the truth she might defect from the empire being half-esper. But Terra was rescued by Tritoch and met up with Locke.
    http://www.youtube.com/Greatermaxim

Terra..................Fight
    LV99...................Morph
    HP9999................All Magic
    MP999.................Item

Vigor 45................R-Hand: Illumina
    Speed 90..............L-Hand: Genji Shield
    Stamina 40...........Helmet: Oath Veil
    Magic Pwr 110......Armor: Minerva
    Bat Pwr 255
    Defense 216.........Relic: Ribbon
    Evade 75
    Magic D 184.........Relic: Economizer
    Magic B 87

Blog Entries

I assume she wore the slave crown since she could talk and as such has only formed basic knowledge of the ability to function but no "identity" of her own. She doesnt claim she has never loved anyone but in fact claims she doesnt even know what love is.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!