Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Love Stories

Default Favorite Love Stories

Time to be mushy.

What video games have had the most powerful/realistic/substantial relationships in your opinion?

My choice...

Fei/Elly - Xenogears
    (SPOILER)

I find "one person, one destiny, no matter the generation" idea that the game goes into to be very sweet and endearing. Fei and Elly have been together in one form or another for 10,000 years and their affection for each other only grows. They've had no shortage of troubles (Christ Almighty everything bad that can happen HAS happened to them) but their love for each other has not once dimmed.

I think the development of their modern relationship in the game is also very nice, with them both being shy dopes who can't admit it. Then Elly is the one to actually mature and come to term with her womanhood while Fei is still trying to man up. It all culminates ina v ery touching (if graphiclaly painful) scene of love.

So how about you all?

I find most game romances to be terribly done.

It's not so bad in games like Persona, however, where you build it up the course of the game spending time with the girl you woo. So I'll say Main/Yukiko in Persona 4. Mostly I just love Yukiko, favorite character in the series. <3

Rune Factory 3 also has a goofy charm to it with the Mermaid chick, I forget her name saddly.

For games you don't pursue the romance yourself, FF IX was probably the best done in any Final Fantasy game, and while I do like both characters it wasn't that well done.

BioWare and in some cases Obsidian games do it well. You really get to know the character over the course of a romance. Knights of the Old Republic 2 was my favorite example. If you captured the attention of Visas Marr, she'd come to you and recite a confession that was both stern and intense. Not your typical cheese or awkwardness. She knew what she wanted and even though she wasn't comfortable with having to say it, it was very well portrayed, and actually made me blush listening to her because I seriously was surprised, and it completely made up my mind on which character to pursue a romance with.

Twisted Reality Shattered Dreamer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Squall & Rinoa from Final Fantasy VIII

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shattered Dreamer View Post
    Squall & Rinoa from Final Fantasy VIII
    Hey, you got there before me!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'll second Elly and Fei for best romance. It's terribly tragic but very endearing. Seriously the two wonderful monologues at the start of Disc 2 where Lacan and Sophia talk about their feelings and their drifting relationship is quite touching and feels more real than some of the "I luv yoo!" sap that goes on in other games.

I think my other favorite love story is an odd choice but one that is at the very heart of the game, is Wander and Mono from Shadow of the Colossus. Even the advertisement is summed up as "how far would you go for love?".

Games where you can choose your own relationship never really feel real to me, even in the Persona games which are far more character driven then some Bioware titles, it still always felt artificial to me.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

yeah all that 'marry who you want!' business
    it's like
    ugh
    i have to do that in real life
    i play games to go through a well thought out plot

shadow of the colossus was good because it was barely there and your brain was responsible for most of it

ff6 was really good too, because it was complicated enough to have you question who was really into who.

and hehe

uncharted 2 :}

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Alex and Luna from Lunar: SSSC is probably my favorite, and the one that touched me the most. It's just a fun, endearing, and well-told story.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Kaidan and my Femshep :3

Blog Entries

Zidane & Garnet.

It always seemed genuine, right from the very first moment she bumped into him on the stairs. It takes quite a lot of time for their relationship to really take off, but that is why it never felt rushed or gimmicky.

Misspelled for No Reason. GhandiOwnsYou's Avatar

Tied up between Fei/Elly and the Prince/Elika from the Prince of Persia reboot. I feel like the way Prince of Persia was built was perfect for building a relationship with Elika. Aside from the fact that she was, arguably, the LEAST irritating AI partner ever, the fact that interaction was limited to just the Prince and Elika forced more effort into the relationship. Another brilliant point to me was the player-controlled random dialogue. It was kinda nice to just be able to initiate little blurbs of dialogue whenever, and I was pleased to see the diversity there, rather than just throw away lines on repeat.

Now if I could just get them to stop milking the sands of time series and give me a proper sequel so we could resolve that cliffhanger...

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ico. I absolutely loved the love story within that.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Tidus & Yuna.

lolololol

/troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Zidane & Garnet.

It always seemed genuine, right from the very first moment she bumped into him on the stairs. It takes quite a lot of time for their relationship to really take off, but that is why it never felt rushed or gimmicky.
    I agree. I think it was the best FF love story. FFVIII and its 'love' theme was way too contrived.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Twisted Reality Shattered Dreamer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    FFVIII and its 'love' theme was way too contrived.
    Really? You didn't like the idea of a guy who becomes a loner to cover up heart ache from his childhood & ends up falling for a spunky rich girl. I especially love the scene when Squall is carrying a comatose Rinoa on his back across Fisherman's Horizon & he's having his little personal monologue.

I get that the FFIX love story was good but really the only difference is it took Garnet a lot longer to figure out she loved Zidane then it did Rinoa to figure out how she felt about Squall. Honestly I think a princess falling in love with a thief is contrived by almost Disney proportions.