Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy & Religion

Banned

Default Final Fantasy & Religion

As some are aware, I am a Christian. I don’t mean to continually broadcast that, it’s just self-evident that not too many religious people frequent these kinds of boards and so I am something of a black sheep when it comes to certain subjects.

Though I have met a good degree of opposition from a few others on here, I do not want to give an image that I am heralding myself above others. When a man believes in God, something grips them in a way they cannot explain and sometimes it can cause them to be unforgiving or pretentious towards others. This in itself is not Godly, it is rather the object of mere men attempting to climb a level in which they do not belong. There is a great irony in that, I will admit., the Bible teaches humility and militance all at once which is highly difficult to portray. It’s like being asked to chew and not swallow the most tasteful food you can think of.

But on to the subject- FF and religion.

Anyone with an inclination to any religion has come to the conclusion that a lot of FFs have a plot synonymous to religion. For example, FFIX resembles Christianity. Kuja is Satan, and Zidane is Jesus. The Bible states that the least enemy to be destroyed is death., this is none other then Necron, as his name implies.
    Kuja grows jealous of his master and tries to conquer all, and Zidane is the saving grace.

The summons are based on actual religious deities as well- take Leviathan for instance. He is the serpent in the water, which aligns with Leviathan in the books of Isaiah and Revelations in the Bible- the twisted serpent and the beast of the sea.

Final Fantasy echoes with religious intrigue. FFVII has Sephiroth, whose name literally represents an order of nine angels in which Christ believing Jews reconciled as being a three-fold Trinity. The Church would later take these three trinities and turn them into one, being God Himself.

Quite the surprise that they would make this image Satan (Sephiroth), who would attempt to destroy the world and become like God. The Bible, after all, states that Satan wanted to be like Most High. If you read Scripture, you will come to a surprising realization that Satan mimics God. In fact, they are almost interchangeable. That is why it is abundantly important for people to know what is and what isn’t holy, lest they become confused of what is righteous and what is merely taking the image of righteousness.

Anyways, I figured this would be a interesting subject for some. There really is no coincidence here., it is virtually certain that Final Fantasy falls on religion in some fashion. Look foward to feedback

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It actually uses themes from a lot of religious cultures: Japanese myths, Hindu gods, Norse gods, etc.

As for Kuja being Satan...while he disobeyed his "father" (Garland), his "father" was even more evil than he was. Was Kuja really evil? Didn't he repent more or less at the end of the game? Perhaps he was driven mad by the task his creator had given him, and still being seen as a lesser being.

BUT NOW I'M I'M OPENING THINGS UP FOR RELIGIOUS DEBATE, AND THAT'S NOT WHAT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fierytempest View Post
    It actually uses themes from a lot of religious cultures: Japanese myths, Hindu gods, Norse gods, etc.

As for Kuja being Satan...while he disobeyed his "father" (Garland), his "father" was even more evil than he was. Was Kuja really evil? Didn't he repent more or less at the end of the game? Perhaps he was driven mad by the task his creator had given him, and still being seen as a lesser being.

BUT NOW I'M I'M OPENING THINGS UP FOR RELIGIOUS DEBATE, AND THAT'S NOT WHAT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT.
    Mormons are convinced that Jesus and Satan are brothers. This in itself makes for Mormonism being deemed a 'cult' within the general belief in Christianity which makes Jesus God the Son and not a mere angel.

Perhaps this is what the producers thought of when they came up with the plot, as Zidane and Kuja are practically bros. But there is a lot of irony with Satan., in the beginning, God was fixed on what it is to be holy and perfect. Grace did not really kick in until Christ was nailed to the cross. So Satan could be seen as the 'eye opener' for mankind.
    The thing about Final Fantasy is that it does not wholly base itself on religion, but it is in fact inspired by such things. We can even go to FFXII- Vayne resembles King Nebuchadnezzar in the Bible.

It's everywhere in FF. I think it's brilliant.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Interesting thread idea! Moved it to the General Final Fantasy subforum.

EDIT: Let's try to keep this focused on religion in FF and not segue too much into long tangents about "This is what I personally believe"/"This is what others believe"/etc.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I believe the FF's take elements from every religion. Much like how every religion takes elements from each other. It's only natural that a fantasy story that often has it's own mention of religions would be influenced by those of the creators worlds. I don't agree with the analogies you've applied to them, such as your IX theory and much of the other ones you detailed, but I do admit that the worlds religions are reflected in the Final Fantasy series. I don't think it all stems from one though, Christianity, as you are implying.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

A lot of the weapons and summons are influenced by world religions for sure. I don't really think Christianity in particular is represented in any story, though.

One interesting thing is that the religious group in these games usually turns out to be evil.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

From what I remember in the games Del Murder, only X's world had some form of religion.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think you're right. I was also thinking of Tactics and Xenogears, but those aren't FFs. But X's religion was evil so I technically wasn't wrong!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I was gonna post what Depression Moon said a few days ago, but then I suddenly started to feel unsure about the accuracy of my statement, so I deleted the post. Seems like I wasn't wrong, after all.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Well, there's the physical and the nonphysical.

Beliefs all have something in common. In the case of religion none of the gods have ever showed up to this date to verify their existence. They could be playing some game with people and/or letting you speculate about their motives for unknown reasons.
    http://www.youtube.com/Greatermaxim

Terra..................Fight
    LV99...................Morph
    HP9999................All Magic
    MP999.................Item

Vigor 45................R-Hand: Illumina
    Speed 90..............L-Hand: Genji Shield
    Stamina 40...........Helmet: Oath Veil
    Magic Pwr 110......Armor: Minerva
    Bat Pwr 255
    Defense 216.........Relic: Ribbon
    Evade 75
    Magic D 184.........Relic: Economizer
    Magic B 87

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Not true, Jesus shows up in burnt toast all the time.

Final Fantasy "borrows" elements from other religions like NGE "borrows" elements from Christianity.

They're just name drops.

There is an underlying Eastern spirituality thing going in FFVII, IX and X, what with the souls/Lifestream, but that really isn't reflective of any religion that I know of.

In short, Final Fantasy is not Xenogears and isn't trying to use religion as a way to convey a message. it's just kinda there.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I cannot believe Kefka wasn't mentioned here. His final battle is a sort of mockery of the Divine Comedy with the tiers representing Hell (with Kefka-Satan from waist up, as described by Dante), Purgatory (the tortured naked people, again, Dante) and Heaven (here Kefka is doing a full-blown pieta, complete with Mary). After climbing all of these layers, Dante met God. Whom does the party meet? Kefka, who has attained godlike power. I always thought he raised the whole monument as a mockery of religion, considering his nihilistic views, as he believes his power makes him the only one worthy of being called "God". I kinda like the symbolism of this fight and there's no denying this was intentional.

Besides that, can't really say they made some purposeful allegories to Christianity. Except maybe X. As mentioned before, it's this "evil church" stereotype that's dominant here and which has become pretty much cliched in recent years (and quite clumsilly, IMO, it's like most people there are in there for the evulz, whereas, ie. Xenogears had legitimately good people within it, even if all of it was a facade). Considering all the other references, though, I agree with Forsaken Lover - they're just gratuitous stuff thrown in there for the coolness factor, like in NGE.

BTW, I'm Catholic. Don't flame me

Blog Entries

If I said that religion (what I believe) is a way to "control" people in a sense, would I get hated on? I think FFVII and the life stream has more meaning (scientifically) than heaven and hell. What I mean to say, the earth's gravity is something like "atoms pulling each together" and the human body is a lot of different atoms. So when we decompose, we "return to the Earth" non?

I think I don't know, but it would be worth looking in to. If I knew more about science.
    Creativity is certainly about not being constrained by rules or accepting the restrictions that society places on us. Of course the more people break the rules, the more likely they are to be perceived as ‘mentally ill’
    “Fix the cause, not the symptom.” – Steve Maguire

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

History, of which religion is a major part, is filled with interesting things and events. Most fictional works draw on some part or parts from history because it's so interesting. They're mostly just name drops; the actual meaning of religion is rarely represented. Two brothers of contrasting morality battling it out for the fate of the world is a common tale, for example. The summons are simply powerful entities, and naming them after deities is an effective way to highlight the level of their power. I've played most FFs, and none of them have favoured any religion over another; it is just a matter of taking fascinating and exciting material from other sources and putting them into your own story.