Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quina Is More Than Comic Relief

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Ain't it da truth?

I think Zidane does care about Quina in his own way. Don't forget, he did bail him out with Grandma Pickle. And if he goes to Cleyra with the party and is thought dead, sure, Zidane doesn't mention him right away, but he does show his relief that he's safe later on, when he sees him back in the marsh.

And even if you could make the case that Zidane doesn't care about Quina, there are still party members who do. Vivi is the first and ONLY one to mention him when he, Zidane, and Freya all thought he failed to escape Cleyra before Odin destroyed it. Eiko also seems to like him quite a bit. And Freya actually says she likes Quina's tendency to just do whatever he feels like doing and feels like she must learn from him. He even teams up with Steiner to take down one of the monsters in Pandemonium before Zidane steps in to help them. Garnet and Amarant are the only two I can't get any pinned-down feelings for Quina in one way or another.

As for me, I enjoy Quina so much. He's my favorite character in the game. But his going in and out of the party just frustrates me to no end.
    Last edited by Rodney; 06-29-2012 at 02:58 AM.
    Vote in my EoFF Popularity Poll for every game and character in the series thus far: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8N6VZ98!

Quina being a blue mage means her primary purpose, in my mind, is to satisfy those wackos who like to find absolutely freakin' everything there is to find in a game if they enjoy it enough.

Hello!

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

In a way, I kind of felt like Quina added its own view to the whole philosophy about "the meaning of life" that IX is all about underneath. S/he lives by a simple premise, as s/he explains to the Geonomes: "Life is simple. It has things you can eat and can't eat." He/she shows no concern for politics, nations, kingdoms or world-destroying narcistic villains. Quina kinda just goes with the flows and keeps things simple. One might argue that because all s/he cares about is food, s/he might be kinda selfish. I just see it more as a "carpe diem" kind of lifestyle. Take the day and worry only about your next meal, because all that world-saving just causes a lot of stress and that ain't good for your health. It's one way of living and, as Freya commented, perhaps one all the party members could learn from.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Elpizo View Post
    In a way, I kind of felt like Quina added its own view to the whole philosophy about "the meaning of life" that IX is all about underneath. S/he lives by a simple premise, as s/he explains to the Geonomes: "Life is simple. It has things you can eat and can't eat." He/she shows no concern for politics, nations, kingdoms or world-destroying narcistic villains. Quina kinda just goes with the flows and keeps things simple. One might argue that because all s/he cares about is food, s/he might be kinda selfish. I just see it more as a "carpe diem" kind of lifestyle. Take the day and worry only about your next meal, because all that world-saving just causes a lot of stress and that ain't good for your health. It's one way of living and, as Freya commented, perhaps one all the party members could learn from.
    I like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    I like this.
    As do I. It has always pissed me off very much that this way of thinking is "childish" or "immature." Last I checked, all "mature" people did was fight wars, hoard money from little people and run smear campaigns on one-another, among other petty things.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

i just like steamrolling everything with blue magic. it's worth the effort it takes to get it.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quina is... a way of life.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I always found him/her to be one of the most endearing characters of the game.

Didn't really care for him/her in battle, but story wise s/he is highly enjoyable.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I loved the way that Square implemented Quina's tendency to drop in and out of the storyline. Here s/he jumps out of Cleyra, here she washes up in Maidan Sari and helps with the cooking. Easily my favourite character from the whole series in terms of how they join the party xD.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

One of the most rep worthy posts I have read in ages.

Quina symbolizes freedom in my eyes, the ability to say "hey, I do what I want and if you have a problem screw you!" That's a pretty powerful lesson for most people to learn and most people don't learn that at times being selfish isn't a sin it isn't a crime and it most certainly isn't wrong on any scale. Sometimes we all need to be a little selfish to make it through, Quina is one of the best examples in video gaming history of this, I just feel the writers didn't quite know how to explain this point to the player.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Flambard D'Quinceteth View Post
    I loved the way that Square implemented Quina's tendency to drop in and out of the storyline. Here s/he jumps out of Cleyra, here she washes up in Maidan Sari and helps with the cooking. Easily my favourite character from the whole series in terms of how they join the party xD.
    To this day I still quote Quina when someone asks me why I cook too much for the number of people we have. It always makes me so happy when I am Quina is correct.

Blog Entries

Character personality: Self centered, see's a town demolished and people dying, asks if theres anything to eat.
    Battle use: Functional when were forced to use him/her, but not amazingly special otherwise or worth the effort of using
    Character design: Quite hideous

I need at least one of these three qualities to be positive to find a character tolerable, Quina possesses none of them.

Infact I would question those who claim Quina is 'comic' relief at all.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!