Thread: rethink breast cancer reminder app

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

testicular cancer awareness month.

btw am I the only person that just wants 'cancer awareness', and none of these gender-specific (inb4 men can have breast cancer too) cancer fundraisers?

oh i am? guess i'm a grinch

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Emet Squelch (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I read a book once, that talked about how cancer isn't really that big of a deal these days. Yes, people still die of it. But a diagnosis isn't a death sentence--we have so many advances, that people who are diagnosed with cancer live most of the time.

But, because we use words like "fight" and "battle" to describe the situation a person is in with cancer, it actually puts the patient in a more negative mindframe. As, since they see their life hanging on the balance it BEGINS to hang on the balance, and become a lot more at risk, than someone who took cancer as just something to deal with.

It was really interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Peegee View Post
    testicular cancer awareness month.

btw am I the only person that just wants 'cancer awareness', and none of these gender-specific (inb4 men can have breast cancer too) cancer fundraisers?

oh i am? guess i'm a grinch
    i think everyone's 'aware' of cancer. cancer 'awareness' campaigns aren't really a thing that makes sense anymore. cancer2012?

fundraisers are a different story; research and support systems are different for different cancers, so it's not surprising that fundraisers are separate. 'general' cancer research and fundraising still happens. it's probably easier to say 'this money is going to a specific research institute that does specific research' than say 'we are donating to cancer research!' anyway.