Thread: A pretty silly question regarding Elnoyle.

Default A pretty silly question regarding Elnoyle.

Well, I've been fighting the many monsters running around in Esthar City. I have no idea where I'm going at this point (it's been so long), so I just randomly did some exploring. Anyway, I saw the weird guy standing and talked to him, which lead to the bizarre "Heehahaheehee", and eventual battle with Elnoyle. In another part of the city, there was a guy doing a similar laugh, who the people nearby were considering traumatized because of the Lunar Cry going on.

Now, I was wondering: is the weird guy encountered before the battle actually an Elnoyle laughing at you? Or was it likely a human that eventually transformed into an Elnoyle? The latter seemed to come across my mind when considering the other guy that was laughing hysterically.

While the Elnoyle seems like nothing more than a mindless monster in battle, the laughing before the battle seems to indicate it has some sort of understanding. I know the many monsters were attacking the people in Esthar, but I believe it's implied the monsters from the moon were also turning people into monsters as well. Either that, or the monsters are more intelligent than I thought.

Just had this on my mind while playing through. I know this is totally random. Hopefully it's not too much.

Where did you talk to that person? I didn't know about that thing even though I have completed this game many times before.

Where/how was it implied that people were being turned into monsters?

Quote Originally Posted by Gamblet View Post
    Where did you talk to that person? I didn't know about that thing even though I have completed this game many times before.
    The person was north of Odine's lab. At first I thought it was just a normal guy, but it looked kinda weird. Here's an image:

Quote Originally Posted by nik0tine
    Where/how was it implied that people were being turned into monsters?

I might be reading into it wrong, but it seemed to come to mind when reading the VIII Ultimania translation of Lunar Cry:

A cycle said to have begun tens of thousands of years ago, a phenomenon in which monsters fall from the moon to the planet. The moon is the den of monsters, while humans inhabit the planet; a product of gravity, in a phenomena similar to the pull on the tides, when the moon’s surface reaches its saturation point with monsters, the group spills and falls to the surface of the planet below. The monsters fall like the tears of the moon, and are not incapable of causing enormous damage to the surface sufficient to destroy an entire nation, depending on the scale of the event. As well, the natural terrestrial flora and fauna in an ecosystem may change drastically; many are the creatures that have been changed by the touch of the monsters of the moon.
    I assumed the "creatures being changed by the touch" was referring to all sorts of life on the planet being turned into monsters. The "change" could be referring to something totally different, tho.
    Last edited by Turlast; 04-08-2012 at 10:19 PM.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

That guy always creeped me out man.

Now, I was wondering: is the weird guy encountered before the battle actually an Elnoyle laughing at you? Or was it likely a human that eventually transformed into an Elnoyle? The latter seemed to come across my mind when considering the other guy that was laughing hysterically.

While the Elnoyle seems like nothing more than a mindless monster in battle, the laughing before the battle seems to indicate it has some sort of understanding. I know the many monsters were attacking the people in Esthar, but I believe it's implied the monsters from the moon were also turning people into monsters as well. Either that, or the monsters are more intelligent than I thought.

Your opinion is really good, about people turning into monster.
    But i think it's just part of gameplay, so we can fight strong monster indefinitely.
    I carry these memories inside, thoughts of A Soul colored by love and loneliness ~ Evol