Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Disappointing games

This is something I've noticed in the gaming community. RE traditionalists rail against RE4 because it wasn't like the first 3. As someone who's only ever played 4 and none of the others, I thought it was pretty good. The only thing I didn't like much about it was the Mercenaries mini-game.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha2099 View Post
    This is something I've noticed in the gaming community. RE traditionalists rail against RE4 because it wasn't like the first 3. As someone who's only ever played 4 and none of the others, I thought it was pretty good. The only thing I didn't like much about it was the Mercenaries mini-game.
    Except if you'll notice, I said absolutely nothing about RE4 being bad because the originals were better. None of the problems I mentioned were a result of comparing it to the original titles. Arguably the tank like controls, but I didn't like them much in the originals. They worked in those games because they solved a design issue (how do you keep the player from getting disoriented and having the controls change every time the camera angle changes? Have up move you forward and left and right turn), and they designed around it. Aiming is difficult due to camera angles and not being able to tell exactly where you're facing? Well, most enemies aren't that fast or numerous, areas are fairly enclosed, and auto-aim can orient the player correctly for them (seriously, auto-aim made those games work).

But really, it was a design issue which was an artifact of the times and the decision to use pre-rendered backgrounds. It's something which should never happen again and those controls are best left in the past as well given how far technology has advanced.

RE4 was really just a game that wasn't sure whether to commit to action or horror and as a result did both poorly. The fact that I love Dead Space is pretty telling because it wasn't scary either, but it was a great action game, and was pretty much just a refined version of RE4. Literally every control or gameplay issue I had with RE4 Dead Space fixed and they didn't do it by making it more like the older RE games. They did it by recognizing what didn't work in RE4 and fixing it. Something Capcom wasn't even willing to do when they made RE5.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

they are a generation apart...but i heart both. i also really liked re3: nemesis. i have never played re5 but from the looks of it i should't.

i thought the shooting range in dead space was such a holla to re4 though.

anyway disappointing horror games.
    galerians. looked forward to playing that so much but it's honestly not that great. no idea what to do in that one, stuck in the first room. is it unfair of me to make this attack then? i don't care.

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within is always the first game that comes to mind when I think of disappointing games. Sands of Time was great. The combat sucked, but it was very aesthetically pleasing with beautiful environments, a really awesome arabian-rock soundtrack, and just a great atmosphere in general. The story was pretty decent as far as video game stories go. (It had a good ending.) Then came Warrior Within. Holy crap. They took everything that was good about the first game and made it cheesy and bad. Changed the music to screamo, made the sand creatures bleed for some reason, made every female character super slutty, and even changed the Prince's accent for some reason. They "casualized" it, back when "casual gamers" were people who played dudebro shooters and madden. It was also a glitchy mess. My first time playing, I had to restart after an hour or so because I got turned into a Sand Wraith too early and couldn't progress. The best part was that they worked so hard to fix the combat and I still ended up using the same two moves on every enemy. At least The Two Thrones was pretty good. A return to form.

Runner up is No More Heroes 2. It's too dark. The first game had pretty poor gameplay but a lot of charm in the characters and cutscenes. The second one was much better to play, but kind of soulless. That one made me sad. I didn't play No More Heroes 1 for the gameplay (though the boss battles were awesome), I played it for the insanity.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

aw yeah warrior within!

i agree. it was such a shift in mood, it didn't belong. but it did set up the third game... i like to think of it as a stepping stone. that said, some of the escape sections were pretty fun.

Quote Originally Posted by krissy View Post
    aw yeah warrior within!

i agree. it was such a shift in mood, it didn't belong. but it did set up the third game... i like to think of it as a stepping stone. that said, some of the escape sections were pretty fun.
    I will admit that I did like the Dahaka. :P

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Besides FFXIII?

I would say Dragon Quest IX was a disappointment because I really liked the direction it went with DQVIII. But IX was a backwards step going back to the 'collection of several localized quests' storyline and blank slate characters.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Twisted Reality Shattered Dreamer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Besides FFXIII?
    I'm surprised it's taken this long for somebody to say FFXIII

Quote Originally Posted by Shattered Dreamer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Besides FFXIII?
    I'm surprised it's taken this long for somebody to say FFXIII
    We were all thinkin' it, but nobody wanted to be "that guy" to say it first.

Every Rockstar game ever Most notably L.A. Noire and GTA4. As they were the most recent and most lauded at the time. I didn't even bother with Red Dead because I hated GTA so much, and L.A. either bored or bothered the crap out of me. I have yet to figure out why these games get such high reviews, and even down-to-earth real gamers seems to enjoy them for some reason. I hated the other GTA games as well though so I didn't waste my money on these, but considering they were so highly regarded I did take a chance to taste test them and Rockstar is still not for me. And if nothing else, unless they fix their driving mechanics. They never will be for me. It should not take two blocks to skid to a stop on a clear summer day when you were not even speeding...

Speaking of Final Fantasys though, I'd say 8 and 10. 8 especially considering how much I loved 7. So I thought hey, 8's gonna be awesome, but with better graphics. And instead I get this needlessly convoluted and confusing sorcery plot with insanely awkward and annoying "romance" lathered on top. But really, everything I hate about these games are summed up quite well in Spoony's videos. Though an hour-long rant on each is probably not really summed up... but they're well worth the watch! lol

Most of the Zelda games that weren't Ocarina ended up boring the crap out of me :/ My friend went so far as to MAIL me his copy of Twilight Princess because he loved it so much and wanted me to experience it. And I played an hour or two. But just could not get into herding cows or whatever the crap was they wanted you to waste time doing in the beginning -_- But I have trouble getting into most Nintendo franchises anymore.. So that's just me. But I keep hoping I'll be able to love Mario and Zelda again. And maybe find a fondness for Metroid that has eluded me all these years. But even the great Metroid Prime didn't do it for me. And I actually bought that one back in the day :/

I've seen Spoony's review of Final Fantasy 8. That was enough to convince me not to play the game.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by krissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm View Post

Dead Space 2 - I loved the first game and was scared the whole way through. I still am actually but the second game took out most of the horror and tension in favor of more action, enemies and other stupid crap. Plus Issac has a voice and it kept pulling me out of the game every time I was about to get into it.
    !!! i am so sad now, i was really looking forward to 2. loved dead space. everyone says 2 is actually more scary except for you...i'll see what i think one day, but this is the first negative thing i've heard about it...

anyway,

i loved the commercials, premise, idea, style of assasins creed 1

then i actually played the game

but only for 2 hours
    I can't figure out why everyone likes the second one so much. I felt it ventured too far into action, the atmosphere was predictable and not scary, the jump scares were telegraphed a mile away, Issac speak (I am a fan of the silent protagonist. Let me feel and don't tell me how the character feels), the story is completely unresolved to make way for more sequels (in the first you got away and presumably put everything to rest. Only the sequel opens it up with stuff you never even knew about) and the game felt very linear. I just move forward.

You know what? I wrote a review on it. Review

My only regret is that I think I gave it too high a score XD

Also, Assassin's Creed, while repetitive is still fun and there continues to be nothing like it on the market. The first one is fun and but suffers from some incomplete combat. The second steps it up and adds a ton of new things with a more interesting story. Brotherhood I feel is the best game as it refines many of the elements of 2 but continues to add and become its own game.

I played Brotherhood before I played 2 and I think it stands alone well enough. I picked it up for $10 around Christmas so I would wait until the price is that if you really want to give the series another chance.

It's not... supposed to be scary. Neither was the first one.

Also linear?

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

I don't know why I said linear. I was trying to remember exactly what it was about the game I didn't like. Then I remembered I wrote a review on it and said smurf it.

I thought the first game was super scary and tense the whole way through!

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Every Rockstar game ever Most notably L.A. Noire and GTA4. As they were the most recent and most lauded at the time. I didn't even bother with Red Dead...
    I keep going back to GTA IV after I forget how much I disliked it. I've done the first island multiple times, but have never completed the second. And I never managed to complete LA Noire simply because it became so boring and repetitive. I say this so that you understand my position when I say that Red Dead is one of the finest games ever made. I like it so much, that I managed to annoy some mates - who also love it - by fangasming so much.

Anyway, on disappointing games. Mass Effect 2 was certainly one. I enjoyed it, but it was still a disappointment compared to the first one. When I hear people speak negatively about the gun customisation and planetary exploration (Mako ftw), I lose a little more faith in the future of gaming. Also, I recently found out that Sniper Elite V2 won't have splitscreen. Probably the most disappointed I've ever been in a game or game developer.