Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Disney Renaissance

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shlup View Post
    Except Beauty and the Beast! I do believe he holds her captive for many months.
    When true love is unattainable, Stockholm syndrome will do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbaforever
    which is more than can be said for poisoned dwarf Phil Collins.
    The man should stay behind a drumkit. Though I suppose his hearing issue lately may make that difficult.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Phil Collins' voice makes my ears bleed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I dunno about you guys but when I was a kid Disney was still re-releasing their old classics into theaters every couple of years (as opposed to constantly re-releasing them on DVD or whatever they do now.) So yes, I grew up on the Disney Renaissance movies, but I also grew up on all of their old classics: Snow White, Cinderella, Robin Hood, Peter Pan, Bambi, 101 Dalmatians, Fantasia, The Rescuers, The Jungle Book, and so forth. I saw all of these in the theater and it's really a shame that they don't do that anymore.

EDIT: Atlantis was great. And so was Brother Bear. Listen to this and tell me it isn't great.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I always forget about Brother Bear. I enjoyed it too.
    I like Kung-Fu.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

i liked treasure island, it introduced the whole antigrav board to a wider audience

and that brother bear OST cover...serious case of dreamworks face haha

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shlup View Post
    So basically you hate every Disney movie ever. xD

Except Beauty and the Beast! I do believe he holds her captive for many months.
    They fall in love after a few days for most disney movies sure but it doesnt explicitly state they get married or engaged except in the princess frog.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

In Cinderella you definitely see a wedding. I think you might in Snow White, as well. The Little Mermaid...there's a wedding. Sleeping Beauty, they were already engaged but didn't know it, and fell in love after meeting once......

yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Blog Entries

Yes but those are at an unspecified time after the events of the story,it coule be months or years. This is one of the few times it is out right expressed they get married imediately
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

It's sad that The Rescuers Down Under gets so little love even though it was part of the Renaissance too (between The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast). It's a kickass film; the eagle flying scene is a classic mix of storytelling, animation and music. My childhood would've been quite different if I hadn't seen these films; they made my imagination run wild, taught me to love music, and gave me such heartwarming memories which I'll always carry within me. The Lion King is still the best of the bunch, although I have a soft spot for the Hunchback of Notre Dame too.

After my initial skepticism, I actually found Randy Newman's songs for The Princess and the Frog to be quite catchy at times, although some of the songs should've been polished a bit. Facilier's villain song "Friends on the Other Side" is up there as one of the funniest songs I've heard (both Keith David and our Finnish dubber Veeti Kallio did a good job with it). It's Newman's score which lacked the Disney spirit for the most part; it's a shame because Newman has occasionally shown good stuff but his usual output is always the same old sound with hardly any variation.

I've more or less enjoyed all of the Disney Animated Canon films I've seen (yet to see the newest Winnie the Pooh, but the trailers of it look promising); I think only parts of Chicken Little were gringeworthy, and I actually found Home on the Range charming (I guess Menken's music had something to do with it). Brother Bear and Treasure Planet are severely underrated, however, and as much as I enjoy the comedy in The Emperor's New Groove, I can't help but imagine what it could've been if Disney had made it as originally intended as a serious, epic fairy tale Kingdom of the Sun.
    How I met your mother, Donald Duck's parents style! Love at first temper tantrum!

Facebook | Last.fm | LiveJournal | MyAnimeList | tGAWiki