Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Persona 3:FES on the PSN.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Persona 3:FES on the PSN.

I'd post a link but one probably isn't necessary. Persona 3: FES is on the Playstation network now so those who are able should probably buy it since it's only $10. I missed this version when it came out and never seemed to have the cash for a used copy, so digital release for $10? Sign me up. Maybe now I'll actually finish the thing after 3 failed attempts to complete the original Persona 3.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Does it look better than on the PS2?
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hell if I know actually, I won't be able to pick it up until next week. It didn't say it was in HD so I think it's just one of the standard PS2 re-releases, but I'm fine with that. Persona 3 looked good anyway, on top of being a pretty damn amazing game.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

I guess the real question is, can I easily import my PS2 saves to the PS3?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    I guess the real question is, can I easily import my PS2 saves to the PS3?
    No.

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

I'm not sure if they still make these, but I have one. Amazon.com: PS3 Memory Card Adaptor: Video Games

That's definitely the easiest way to get your own PS2 saves onto the PS3. I'm sure there are old ways of digitally backing up your PS2/PS1 memory cards onto your computer, but that likely involves buying other hardware like a Gameshark or doing some other kinds of modding.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Is FES the best version? I forget which P3 Wolf told me to play.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

FES is the best version on PS2. There's a PSP version that's missing the FES content but has its own new content (playable female protagonist, controllable party members) that just got a price drop on the PSN store.

They're both valid choices.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKTrix View Post
    I'm not sure if they still make these, but I have one. Amazon.com: PS3 Memory Card Adaptor: Video Games

That's definitely the easiest way to get your own PS2 saves onto the PS3. I'm sure there are old ways of digitally backing up your PS2/PS1 memory cards onto your computer, but that likely involves buying other hardware like a Gameshark or doing some other kinds of modding.
    PS2 download games don't use virtual memory cards like backwards compatible PS3's do, unfortunately. They use a new type of save, so importing saves won't work.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Yes, FES is my favorite version because it's the Director's Cut version essentially, with a tone of added content and some rebalancing, as well as a semi-sequel attached to it that adds some nice closure to the game.

The PSP version is a valid choice as well, though I do miss traveling through town like a typical RPG. P3P is more point and click since P3's too big for the PSP to handle. Luckily the dungeons work the same, and P3P does allow you to change the gender of the character and the female MC gets several exclusive Social Links to keep both versions feeling fresh.

None of you have an excuse not to own this game now.

I own a trade demo copy of the PSP version. :P No label or anything.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    [COLOR="#RTRDED"]
    PS2 download games don't use virtual memory cards like backwards compatible PS3's do, unfortunately. They use a new type of save, so importing saves won't work.
    Ultrafail.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    [COLOR="#really retarded"]
    Ultrafail.
    Stop using Fluffy Puff.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Yes, FES is my favorite version because it's the Director's Cut version essentially, with a tone of added content and some rebalancing, as well as a semi-sequel attached to it that adds some nice closure to the game.

The PSP version is a valid choice as well, though I do miss traveling through town like a typical RPG. P3P is more point and click since P3's too big for the PSP to handle. Luckily the dungeons work the same, and P3P does allow you to change the gender of the character and the female MC gets several exclusive Social Links to keep both versions feeling fresh.

None of you have an excuse not to own this game now.
    I personally prefer P3P. I love the inclusion of skill cards and the Female Protagonist.

And I'm not actually a huge fan of the Answer from FES. While it does provide some closure, it does so at a heavy cost. Your party members tend to act fairly out of character, with most of them becoming outright jerks throughout its story, and it does change the original ending a bit. I love the actual stories it adds, but I hate the final conclusion and the way it changes the characters.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't feel the characterization was off base, I felt they were responding in a very realistic way to P3's ending, and I feel the idea of changing the past would split the party up given the situation that arises. My issue with The Answer was the lack of Social Links and the Demonic Compendium made the gameplay side a bit tedious. Granted, once you get past the very heavy dungeon crawler section at the beginning, the plot picks up and you get some really nice boss battles for the rest of the game. I felt the story took a very interesting turn and added a better sense of closure to the cast after the dust settled.

The issues I have with P3P is purely visuals, and they borrowed a bit too much from P4 in gameplay. I've never been fond of cutscenes being 99% just someone's picture "talking" and a generic background, so I appreciate I actually have character models in FES to accompany the talking heads. I also happen to like the anime cutscenes over the in-game engine cutscenes, Minato's(Male MC) anime cutscene version of his Persona awakening is far more haunting, disturbing, and setting the mood for the game better than the Female MC's version. I also wish they had kept P3's persona list, cause I like it better that P4's. I was also sad that the Girl's Social Links are made up mostly of your fellow S.E.E.S. members, it just makes the world feel smaller when the SL focus primarily on all the characters that appear in all the main story cutscenes. I liked how P3 gave you a ton of people outside of the main conflict to get to know. Other than that, P3P does add some nice gameplay elements and it still an excellent game that I recommend; I just prefer FES due to minor differences.

Articles
    Blog Entries

P3 is one of the greastest RPG's of all time, imo. The battle system, music, plot, and characters are all original and entertaining. And the ending has been able to invoke more emotion in me than most any game. Check it out.