View Poll Results: How is VIII written?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's open to interpretation, which is why I love it.

8 44.44%
  • It's open to interpretation, which is why I hate it.

0 0%
  • It's got a clear definitive message, the rest is fan wanking

8 44.44%
  • It's got a definitive message, but the theories would have made it better.

2 11.11%
  • Reganomics!!!

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Definitive or Open to Interpretation

Some would say it is a theory, others would say it is official. Still, I find it to be an interesting read and it actually enhances the story for some.
    神話―月
    Shinwa-Tsuki
    Myth-Moon

Need a name for your character, ability, item, or location. I might be able to help, see this entry for more information .

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

It's open I think. If you can make an outlandish theory sound a tiny bit believable then there's room for interpretation (whether you meant for it or not).

I hate when there's a theory thread and some people have to trout all over it. Now simply discussing their negative opinion is inoffensive of course; there's nothing wrong with saying "I don't really like this theory because of reasons." But when the discussion becomes less about the theory and more about the fans behind it and it goes something like "hurrr it's not canon you guys are retarded" I'm just like well no trout it's not canon that is why it's called a fan theory because a fan made it up for fun now gtfo

Fair point, Jessweeee♪, but I have attempted to read the R=U and the Dead Squall theories.
    神話―月
    Shinwa-Tsuki
    Myth-Moon

Need a name for your character, ability, item, or location. I might be able to help, see this entry for more information .

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shinwa Tsuki View Post
    Some would say it is a theory, others would say it is official. Still, I find it to be an interesting read and it actually enhances the story for some.
    This one has been confirmed though. The game featured the not so subtle dialogue with Kiros and Ward on the Ragnarok at the end of the game, but also the 20th Anniversary Ultimania confirmed their relationship on the relationship chart, same with Shadow and Relm's relationship which also never received confirmation within the game but was also not so subtly hinted at through Shadow and Relm's dreams. So some things do get answers eventually.

My issues with the subject of fan theories comes in two flavors, when the theorist try to pass off their theory as fact in unrelated thread and basically derail the thread into their fan theory. My other issue comes when the theorist get disruptive and highly defensive when people start poking holes into their theory, and they ultimately start to ignore the facts to suit their theory much like my example conversation above. The last time I got into this debate, the theorist began to disregard several sources and said they weren't true because they pretty much prove the theory is wrong, one source was the Ultimania which isn't unusual for theorist to disregard, but the theorist also started to disregard actual facts given in the game bu Ellone and Dr. Odine. At which point, I have to wonder why bother debating your theory if your not going to accept anything but your beliefs as truth with no evidence to support it. They've now just wasted their time and other people's time on an debate with no real catharsis.

Well, without the Ultimania in the English language - I ask you, how are some of us English speakers supposed to know things that are only in the Ultimania? True, we can track it down online, but I have personally seen very little in way of translations - if you could point me to a site that offers more then a few pages that are translated I would concede. I don't mean to attack, I'm trying to say simply that sometimes getting the facts would be a bit challenging - especially for FF8 and FF9.

I am ignorant of things that have been confirmed but are unfortunately unavailable to English speakers. I am very sorry if I come across as rude, but I honestly did not know that there was a 20th Anniversary Ultimania - or even that some things have been confirmed. I'll leave this thread then, unless someone can point me to a translation site that offers the Ultimania for FF8 and FF9 in English.
    神話―月
    Shinwa-Tsuki
    Myth-Moon

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

As WK said, desregarding Ultimania is basically disregarding fact. However, Shinwa Tsuki, being ignorant of Ultimania is also very acceptable. Very few people know the contents of it, due to the reasons you specified.

I also have extreme problems with fan theories such as one I remember in the past where they made a mass theory because the moon was a certain colour of red in a literal second of an FMV, and that this should obviously symbolise something (or some such nonsese). I'm fine with ideas when they have decent information backing them up (not to say I will agree with them, but they can be interesting) but when theories arise how english teachers try to force symbolism in books and poems, which were never intended to be there.. That, I can't abide
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

Blog Entries

That is a very good post, and I couldn't agree with you more. ^

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I always assumed Laguna was Squall's dad. I mean, sure, he didn't say "Squall, I am your father", but it was so blunt and in your face they may as well have done just that and then slapped you in the face with a birth certificate written on a trout for good measure.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I think that a majority of the unanswered questions of Final Fantasy VIII have been dealt with in some way by the developers, whether through interviews or an Ultimania type of release in Japan. The story is somewhat straightforward and it seems pretty definitive to me, but when it comes to storytelling, the reader is the one who has the final interpretation.
    I believe in the power of humanity.