View Poll Results: How is VIII written?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's open to interpretation, which is why I love it.

8 44.44%
  • It's open to interpretation, which is why I hate it.

0 0%
  • It's got a clear definitive message, the rest is fan wanking

8 44.44%
  • It's got a definitive message, but the theories would have made it better.

2 11.11%
  • Reganomics!!!

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Definitive or Open to Interpretation

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dancing Chocobo Definitive or Open to Interpretation

Another thread brought up a question I've long wondered about among fans and non-fans of FFVIII. Do you feel that VIII was purposely written so awkward to allow the player to create their own conclusion to the story, or do you think it has a definitive message and some fans are just looking too deeply into things because they don't like the "real message" of the game? I'll add a poll, but I prefer discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Another thread brought up a question I've long wondered about among fans and non-fans of FFVIII. Do you feel that VIII was purposely written so awkward to allow the player to create their own conclusion to the story, or do you think it has a definitive message and some fans are just looking too deeply into things because they don't like the "real message" of the game? I'll add a poll, but I prefer discussion.
    It doesn't have to be one or another.
    You don't need the rest of the world to agree with you.
    The interpretation of the story belongs to you only.

Do you feel that VIII was purposely written so awkward to allow the player to create their own conclusion to the story
    I think it's written pretty well only lack certain aspects.
    A reader can't always be right about the writer.
    We need to seek the answers for ourselves.

do you think it has a definitive message and some fans are just looking too deeply into things because they don't like the "real message" of the game?
    We can have our own theories that we believe to be true.
    I carry these memories inside, thoughts of A Soul colored by love and loneliness ~ Evol

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Needs new poll option:
    It is open to interpretation, which is nice, although a definitive answer would also be nice.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

I love a vast majority of the theories, although I would have liked it if the game was clear about Ultimecia's origin - I hate that some fans seem to think that Ultimecia is Rinoa's future self, which I find insulting to Rinoa.
    神話―月
    Shinwa-Tsuki
    Myth-Moon

Need a name for your character, ability, item, or location. I might be able to help, see this entry for more information .

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

It's not a proper FF game if you understand the whoe plot and storyline. Personally I like the way it allows you to piece together everything. The Rinoa = Ultimecia and Squall is Dead theories can do one though. I like my endings happy!
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Blog Entries

I didn't understand 80% of the storyline the first time I played through it. It took me two or three playthroughs for me to somewhat grasp what the story was about, but even now, I'm not 100% sure. I am currently playing through it again for the first time in a long time, and now, I definitely understand why so many people feel the need to find reason and story where the isn't really any. I love the game, but lack of character development doesn't exactly help the already mediocre storyline.

A pea is green, regardless of how much I want it to be blue.

Oh there's definitely character development with Rinoa, Squall, and likely Ellone the others may have subtle character development. I agree with charliepanayi, the Squall is Dead theories are insulting as well to Square. The concept of time travel, as well as the time-loops, are interesting. I just wish Square had translated or published an English language version of the Final Fantasy VIII Ultimania - as well as the Ultimania for IX, those would help explain a vast majority of things that are not explained in the game itself.
    神話―月
    Shinwa-Tsuki
    Myth-Moon

Need a name for your character, ability, item, or location. I might be able to help, see this entry for more information .

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

It's confusing, but I don't think it was done that way to leave it open to interpretation. I'm glad it was though, because it spawned this amazing rewrite.

It has a definitive message.

These theories are nonsense. I can tolerate R=U because it's interesting but Squall is Dead just bugs me.

EVERYTHING GETS WEIRD AFTER DISK 1 SO IT'S ALL A FANTASY!

Except it doesn't. Mostly everything after Disk 1 has its origins in Disk 1. NORG, Seifer's romantic dream, Adel, the Laguna flashbacks - all these things are based on stuff we get in Disk 1.

The only thing that comes out of left field and is totally unnecessary is a time traveling Sorceress FROM DA FUTURE.

I will not attempt to cover up the game's clumsy writing under pretentiousness.

Really when you think about it, these attempts to explain away stuff are just insulting the game more and marginalizing what it did right. I like FFVIII more or less while also recognizing how very flawed it is. To be a true fan is to understand precisely how and why what you love sucks.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

For me, it is probably in line with their thinking on other games in the series: There is an intended and rather fixed storyline, however Square-Enix enjoy not telling the users exactly what it is/was. This is because they prefer their fans to discuss between themselves what the 'true' storyline should be. I am happy for this - if they did not leave so much still open for discussion, a lot of these forums would be far less active! FFVII and FFXIII both strike me as other great examples of the development team not wanting to be drawn into telling users what is right and what is wrong.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Traitors Can't Hide. Phoenix Rising's Avatar

I'm a fan of the open interpretation, for it has spawned many great theories, many of which actually make more sense than the official story of the game after Disk 1.

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

Some of the theories are fun and interesting, I'll give you that. R=U, even Squall is Dead are fun ideas. But ideas are all they are. Too much fan wanking ruined the story of this game a long, long time ago.
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

I can't agree with that at all, I don't see why people arguing about theories online affects how you see the storyline of a game. I like the storyline and it doesn't matter if someone comes up with some daft idea about what happened in the game.

If anything the R=U and Dead Squall theories are more insulting to the game and the creators, not to mention to Rinoa. The other theories, however, are interesting. I enjoy reading theories on why Laguna is Squall's father (which I do believe) and Ultimecia's origin are fun reads for me.

I would prefer to be able to create my own theories, without the Ultimania (for VIII or IX) that is more challenging then for VII.
    神話―月
    Shinwa-Tsuki
    Myth-Moon

Laguna being Squall's father isn't a theory though, that one is official.