Thread: Space Shuttle orbiter Discovery arrives in Washington D.C. Smithsonian museum

Default Space Shuttle orbiter Discovery arrives in Washington D.C. Smithsonian museum

Space Shuttle Discovery Enters Smithsonian for Museum Display - Yahoo! News

The Space Shuttle orbiter Discovery, the longest-serving orbiter in the Space Shuttle fleet, flew on its final flight yesterday, piggy-back style on top of a modified Boeing 747, to the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C., which will be its new permanent home, where it will be displayed for all to see. Previously, the museum was the home of the Enterprise, an orbiter that was only used for air and landing tests, and never made it to space. That orbiter will be moved to the Intrepid Sea, Air, and Space museum in New York City, and Discovery will take its place at the Smithsonian museum. Meanwhile, Atlantis will stay at the Kennedy Space Center's Visitor's complex in Cape Canaveral, Florida, and Endeavour will head to the California Space Center in Los Angeles.

Discovery was the longest serving orbiter in the fleet, with 27 years of service, having completed 39 missions, spent 365 days (which is equivalent to approximately one full year) in space, orbited the Earth 5,830 times, and traveled an incredible grand total of 148,221,675 miles. It was also chosen to be the "return to flight" orbiter twice, after both the Challenger and Columbia disasters.

Now that the Space Shuttle program came to a close last year, after 30 years of service, the orbiters will now be on display at museums on opposite ends of the country for all to see.
    Last edited by SuperMillionaire; 04-25-2012 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Harle told me that 365 days isn't always exactly a year, for leap years have 366 days.
    Is that your final answer?

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

365 days is not exactly a year. Please edit to take this into account.

Seriousness aside, you're one of my favourite members, SuperMillionaire.

Thank you very much, Harle. I'm certainly flattered.

And I edited the post above to take what you said into account.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yes! I feel like I've finally benefited the site, after far too long. xD

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

With Shuttle Enterprise in NYC, Endeavour Is Next to Move - Yahoo! News

The Enterprise orbiter just arrived in New York on Friday, and now the Endeavour is next to be shipped off to Los Angeles.