Many of you are aware of H.P. Lovecraft and his flair for writing some of the most atmospheric and creepy stories out there. (And if you aren't, get on the reading. )

The first time one of his stories was listed as a Comedy was Old bugs, which while funny was more disturbing and plain depressing then it was comedic. So understandably when I went in to read one of his other comedies, I was expecting something along those lines.

But how wrong was I. Sweet Ermengrade is far from the kind of humour Old Bugs was. This is like a story written by Monty Python, but with less restraint. Just let that sink in for a minute.

This is an over the top and outlandish Parody of a certain kind of Love story. Farm discovers gold, Land owner wants gold, wants to marry their daughter so he can get in on family gold, threatens to foreclose otherwise. Hero guy goes off to earn enough money to pay off their morgage because he loves their daughter.

Even in Lovecrafts time I imagine this kind of plot has been overused, and holy trout does he parody the smurf out of it.

The most subtle thing about this story is the mustache twirling villain leaping from the bushes, kicking a cat, and yelling curses.

This story is one of the funniest things I have ever read, full of awesome jabs at the cliche's, a few fourth wall jokes, and even bizarrely placed math and chemistry jokes.

This is not something you expect from one of, if not the, greatest horror writer out there.

What stories have you read from authors that took you by complete surprise?