Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "WoW Killer"

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Spykus Hallideus (Cerberus)

Right, I cannot compete here with all these great points and long posts (actually I'm just lazy ) so I'll lay this down. WoW, has pandas coming. Kung fu pandas. Those things cannot be killed so easily. Hell I'm having a fun time on MOP beta on my Pandaren!

LET THE HAMMER FALL

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

For me, nothing will ever beat Ultima Online. You could place a house in the game world and furnish it and hold guild meetings there and stuff! People loved that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I think it's just the way markets usually work -consumers coalesce around one market leader and in networked products like MMOs, that just compounds on itself. And WoW just has that magic accessibility ingredient that makes it the game people want to play. It also has the advantage of being a several year old game. People exaggerate how expensive it is to keep up with PC gaming, but if you ant that super multi-million user market penetration, modest specs certainly helps.

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I think even Blizzard knows WoW has it's days of being king of all mmos numbered. Problem is there is nothing like it out there. Like it or not WoW has almost a decade of development and additions to it's universe. How can you compete with that. FF11 could have but Square botched it and instead of leveraging all those years of development and community building it started from scratch with ff14. we all know how THAT turned out.

I am on Mists of Pandaria Beta and we got to test pet battles for one day. Is just a turn based combat so far, not nearly polished enough but added one thing i think blizzard had been missing for years: giving non-raiders a fun to do thing on endgame. Before that, if you didn't want to, or couldn't raid (due to job, gf, bf) there was little to do on WoW end game. Achievements were nnot enough and many of them required you to be on a raiding group.

Now people can "tame" rare pets, train them, sell them on AH, battle them. If blizzard does a good job implementing it, they have a vast world to be hunted for battle pets, and i think they might have created a new reason to stay on wow. Pokewow or Pandamon FTW!
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Leveling alts is the best thing to do in WoW. If there was a Burning Crusade server I would resub to WoW and just level alts forever.

(SPOILER)At this point I'd even take a WotLK server (SPOILER)mostly because I actually like Dungeon Finder

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Shlup View Post
    For me, nothing will ever beat Ultima Online. You could place a house in the game world and furnish it and hold guild meetings there and stuff! People loved that.
    There was also no better game to just mess around and smurf with people. UO for life!

I think even Blizzard knows WoW has it's days of being king of all mmos numbered.
    What exactly is the indication for this?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

The only thing that could compete as far as I am concerned would be a Pokémon MMO. But even that may not work now as Pokémon doesn't have the same appeal it did five years ago. But Nintendo would never go ahead with a Pokémon MMO because of their utter refusal to put anything on any platform that isn't made by Nintendo (that I know of). They could have made so much money off that potential game that the mind boggles at the idea that they never went ahead with it.

I'm not sure if any other MMO would have really worked out too well. I'm sure eventually some company will come up with a master plan and overtake WoW, but I think this will happen at a point when people are simply fed up with the old MMO systems. The new game will need to be groundbreaking to say the least. Imagine the craziest ideas you can think of for an MMO, like artificial intelligence to such levels that the game evolves itself rather than relying on devs. It would need gamechangers on this level. And to be fair, the industry needs this kind of unheard of stuff rather than the many clones out there.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Blog Entries

It'll go the way of Counter Strike eventually. Lots of people will still play it, but only out of habit.

there was a picture here

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

what new MMO? Diablo 3? That's not going to de throne WoW

If you like Moorpgs, you play WoW. I have friends tell me they hate WoW, but they don't last more than a few months playing some other moo rpg. I suspect it's not WoW they dislike, but moo rpgs.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    The only thing that could compete as far as I am concerned would be a Pokémon MMO. But even that may not work now as Pokémon doesn't have the same appeal it did five years ago. But Nintendo would never go ahead with a Pokémon MMO because of their utter refusal to put anything on any platform that isn't made by Nintendo (that I know of). They could have made so much money off that potential game that the mind boggles at the idea that they never went ahead with it..
    There is a Digimon MMO in the works? Which, was the better show anyway.

You shut your whore mouth!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Peegee View Post
    what new MMO? Diablo 3?
    No, Diablo 3 isn't an MMO.

They're working on a top-secret new MMO. Leaks have said it's codenamed "Titan" but no one knows much more about it.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peegee View Post
    what new MMO? Diablo 3?
    No, Diablo 3 isn't an MMO.

They're working on a top-secret new MMO. Leaks have said it's codenamed "Titan" but no one knows much more about it.
    not based on a franchise? the only way they will lose WoW subscribers is if WoW content freezes.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nope, they said it's a new franchise.