Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: III NES Playthrough

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

There's a revive-spring and well-spring at the last level of Eureka, but that's about it. No inns, no springs in the Crystal Tower or the World of Darkness. Preparation is the key to victory here. The last section of FF III is brutal, no denying there. My personal suggestion is to not go in until you're somewhere between lv 55 to 60. Good place to grind is Bahamut's cave, relatively easy enemies that give a good deal of exp, and you can go to the Invincible outside to rest up if needed. Don't forget to switch every one to Black Belts (the monk with the cape) when grinding, they have the highest HP gain upon lvl up. Stock up on high potions if you can. Once you're lvl 60, Eureka and the Crystal Tower shouldn't pose any problem anymore. Go raid Eureka first then. Pick up the new jobs, the best weapons, everything you need. I would then personally suggest to make your way back through the ancients maze to the Invincible to restock any healing items you used in Eureka. Then go back and finally tackle the Crystal Tower. If you want it easier, then definately use Ninjas and Sages once you have them, they pack a serious punch in the NES version. Having two healers is not a luxury, either. Try and conserve MP for the boss battles, if you can. Try to use healing items instead whenever possible (those high potions I recommended). Any elixers you have should be saved for the World of Darkness, as they're your only way of restoring MP there.

The final dungeons of FF III are the only part of the game where I agree that the game went overboard in terms of brutality. Believe it or not, the developers back in the day wanted to add a save-point between the Crystal Tower and World of darkness, but gamers complained it made the game too easy.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I just got to the end of the Eureka dungeon and found out that I have to walk the whole way back.

smurf THIS GAME! I AM THROUGH!

For whatever reason, going back is easier than going up.

But yes, it was around this time that I had really lost my patience with the game.
    Last edited by Alpha2099; 07-18-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Funny enough, I've actually been inspired to sit down and play NES version as well.

My Party:

Bowie - Warrior: Named after David Bowie, I plan on making him a Red Mage soon, since David Bowie never liked being type cast.

Freddy - Monk: Named after Freddie Mercury, he gets one of my fave classes

Joan - White Mage: Named after Joan Jett, I should make her a black mage but I desperately need a white mage...

Plant = Black Mage: Named after Robert Plant, he gets to be a black mage since he's fascinated in the dark arts...

I just left Ur. My first impression of the NES game, is "Wow" this game is pretty gorgeous, even for an NES title. You can really tell Square pushed the console to the limits when they made this thing. I mean I just finished an NES playthrough of FFI and I feel like I've jumped into the 16-bit era with this title.

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I just left Ur. My first impression of the NES game, is "Wow" this game is pretty gorgeous, even for an NES title. You can really tell Square pushed the console to the limits when they made this thing. I mean I just finished an NES playthrough of FFI and I feel like I've jumped into the 16-bit era with this title.
    That impression gets even stronger when you start comparing III and IV. Just look at the firaga spell in both games, for example, and tell me they don't look alike. There are plenty of other things IV carried over from its younger brother. The trees look suspiciously alike, too. Graphic-wise, the leap from III to IV wasn't as gigantic as the leap from IV to V, in my opinion (for an easy example, just compare the trees in IV and V, the difference is mind-blowing).

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

IV's graphical strength over FFIII is a combination of better color palette options, Mode 7 effect (still makes the best airship flying in the series), and being able to draw in the whole battle screen background. Other than that, I agree the leap isn't nearly as much as the leap between the other 16-bit entries from one another.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Well I pulled myself to walk back through the dungeon and back to the airship. It wasn't as hard this time since I acquired a new job class that has plentiful MP. I can't believe going through that whole thing that I only leveled up once. Do I really have to be on level 60 to stand a chance against Cloud of Darkness? My characters are only on lvl 46.

If you do 2 Ninjas and 2 Sages, you don't have to. I forget exactly what level my party was at -- I believe it was somewhere in the 50s -- and I beat it. However, I also had a load of Shurikens for the Ninjas which was critical, and when I did beat the Cloud of Darkness, it came down to the wire. It was kinda like a walk-off home run, if you get that reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Elpizo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    That impression gets even stronger when you start comparing III and IV. Just look at the firaga spell in both games, for example, and tell me they don't look alike. There are plenty of other things IV carried over from its younger brother. The trees look suspiciously alike, too. Graphic-wise, the leap from III to IV wasn't as gigantic as the leap from IV to V, in my opinion (for an easy example, just compare the trees in IV and V, the difference is mind-blowing).
    I noticed Paladin Cecil on critical HP looks almost exactly like FF3's Knight.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Got back into this game and made it to Cloud of Darkness and I'm attacking her, but she's invincible. How the hell do I kill this witch?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Is this right after you whooped Xande/Zande's ass at the top of the Crystal Tower? Then you don't. the first battle with her is fixed against you. You now get to go to the World of Darkness and meet some very very unfriendly bosses before your real final battle against CoD.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I'm fighting her the second time and now I'm pissed off that I have to go through this whole long ass dungeon a third time.

Considering the way the final dungeons are structured, and the fact you can't save anywhere at the end, I understand why this game never made it to the states.

FFXIV Character

Yeah, us western sissies would never have been able to handle its awesomeness.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

They just don't make them like they used to.