I started a bit ago on playing the classic NES version of III on an emulator. I've been mostly quiet for a while, but what got me to start this thread is the random damage I'm starting to see in the game. Right now I'm up to the Water Crystal where I'm in the cavern where the Chimera and frogs are. The cave has an extremely annoying encounter rate and it seems like you can't run away from battles that you don't start out with the First Strike. In battle my Scholar and White Mage have been dealing some quite strange damage. Most of the time my white mage misses, but every so often when it hits she does 24 damage. Just a second ago she dealt over 5000 on a chimera, and a bit earlier she only dealt 1 point of damage ??? My scholar is acting similarly dealing around 124 every time, but every so often does about 84 damage, then about 5000, then even more rarely he does 9999.

In the last dungeon the 9999 damage attacks came more frequently against the undead monsters. I had Refia as a Hunter and she was dealing that amount every so often too. What's with the weird damage output with these three classes?