Thread: Is this a glitch or just a trap?

Default Is this a glitch or just a trap?

Seriously, I am not the type to do this but I have simply run out of patience at this point. I am currently playing the Origins version of this game and the very same thing has happened to me on all 3 of the occassions in which I've played the game. Heading back to Altair after leaving Fynn for the first time I always come across a spot on the world map (different spot on each occassion), in which I come across monsters that I am simply not physically able to handle at this point. The problem is that this spot on the world map is literally trapping my party; by this I mean that if I take but one step in any direction, I run into a different set of monsters that can simply one shot my characters every time (sidenote: it always happens immediately after I save). I have counted, and on this file alone, my party has been wiped out 65 times, each time coming across these enemies after taking a single step. Is this normal or is there some kind of risk that comes with saving the game at this juncture on the world map, because this makes no sense to me, and truthfully, I am in no mood to start the game up a fourth time and put up with the same thing. I know this will likely seem a bogus question but does anyone have any advice?

It is not a glitch, happened to me too many times. There are stronger monsters on the western side of the map, keep your party more to the east side to avoid strong monsters (Bombs, if I remember correctly).

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

FF2 wasn't so fond of telling you where you couldn't go or imposing restrictions on your travel. The developers more went with the 'put obscenely difficult monsters where they aren't ready to be yet and let them figure it out' approach.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    FF2 wasn't so fond of telling you where you couldn't go or imposing restrictions on your travel. The developers more went with the 'put obscenely difficult monsters where they aren't ready to be yet and let them figure it out' approach.
    Yep, that about sums it up. Hope you're saving regularly so you don't have to backtrack a ton.

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    Well, yes. That's what I wanted to say, but you explained it better.

Blog Entries

I heard that Darwin programmed this game.

For as much as people nowadays complain about games holding your hand too much, go back and play this. You'll WISH they were holding your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamblet View Post
    It is not a glitch, happened to me too many times. There are stronger monsters on the western side of the map, keep your party more to the east side to avoid strong monsters (Bombs, if I remember correctly).
    It's bombs among other things yeah. Well, I would head to the eastern most part of the map if I could move at all; sadly, I'm going to have to start over from the beginning with this knowledge. It will be a chore to have to do this again but I do not want to let this game beat me.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

This game is pretty brutal and I love it, although I don't recall this exact thing happening to me. There were some other really tough monsters that I ran into in dungeons, though.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

This is why i always keep at least two save files for all my games and always overwrite the oldest of them. Doing that can save you from getting stuck quite a few times. I guess it is especially relevant in older games, where it was actually possible to get in a situation where it is impossible to continue. New games generally give you a chance to get out of problematic situations like that.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?